Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Metro Exodus exclusivity deal with Epic Store, But Steam preorders will still be fulfilled

I guess they really don't want many people to play this game with their platform exclusivity + Denuvo.

I'll wait for >50% sale... on Steam. RTX off. 

Quick checked on Steamdb, apparently it will cost me RM105 to pre-order it on Steam. That's like $26, almost half the price compare to Epic store. 
So they prioritize sales on 1st world countries and fuck up the rest of the plebs, which is fair because we plebs can't afford a PC with RTX card to play the game. /s

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

27 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Right then cdkeys it is, eventually. I wonder how long before valve starts with exclusivity deals.

this is the problem see below

EA's eyes are lighting up right now, prolly looking to buy out many now and maybe  have them on their subscription plan

hmm

dont think people under the consequences of what is going on here

8 hours ago, Pintend said:

I think people are also underestimating Epic Store's lack of proper regional game pricing here.

One of the reasons people bought the Exodus pre-order on Steam was due to the fact that it was still going to be cheaper for certain users due to Steam's more varied and generally fair regional pricing for less developed countries.

I certainly expect Exodus to be pirated a lot just because of the horrible prices users in less developed countries would have to pay for the game on the Epic Store.

If this is true, then WTF is Epic even thinking? Also kind of Deep Silver shooting 4A Games into kneecaps because as far as I can tell 4A Games had has very huge fan base in the eastern block coutries. And fun thing about eastern block countries and generally ex-soviet union countries: The 60€ isn't that much in Nordic countries, but 60€ in baltic countries (Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia) is a lot more (just make your own maths based on these average wages: Norway 3395€ Finland 2509€ Germany 2315€ Estonia 1085€ Latvia 744€ Lithuania 728€ Portugal 925€).The value of euro really differents from country to country and those are countries using euros only, the "worst" part is that EU area has countries like Ukraine with 236€ average wage, Belarus 388€ and so on where that "60€" is a lot of money.

19 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I love how everyone was ok with steam being the only platform shit was released on, but people do the same thing on epic and we're all up in arms. 

Oh no fuck competition that's bad. I want one company to control distribution on PC entirely because fuck me if I have to in stall another launcher. 

MS does this is windows store, EA does this with origin, blizzard with battlenet ubisoft with uplay, but no FUCK EPIC because they paid people to chose their platform. Fuck me for thinking we can have an actual competitor to steam that's not just for one company's games. 

Epic is basically doing what Steam did 15 years ago. What Epic supporters don't understand is if Epic becomes the new biggest game platform, they won't be different from steam.

But what i personally remember is Epic game didn't hesitate a second 12 years ago to leave their supporting PC community to take a fat check from Microsoft to do only Xbox exclusive game named Gears of war and what most of people ignore is that Gears of war 1 was literally Unreal 3 ( the solo game, not Unreal tournament 3 ) and they just canceled it and turned it from a FPS To a TPS and kissed pc gamers goodbye for money after 8 years of support by an active and loving community.

again, how is removing from one platform and putting on another a competition? competition is when amazon and newegg both sells the same product with prices that vary to attract buyers, making exclusives is not really a competition, users aren't really getting anything out of this, it's not really any cheaper if you buy on epic, it's still 60$(Metro is 50$ for now, but doesn't really mean every game gonna have a 10$ discount), competition would having the same game on both and let people choose where they want to buy and compete with good services on a said launcher that attracts them. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

@Strike105X Just as an FYI, Valve has made a statement:

image.png.a89294e9a8e4e3d72329ede4f3f63110.png

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

It’s baffling how some people think this is competition. 

I’m sorry, but it isn’t. It’s the type of competition that results in very little to no benefit for the end consumer. 

The competition that we should be advocating is the type that drives innovation and forces storefronts to come up with ways to one up the other in a way that does not harm consumer choice and other such rights. Such as having a game available in multiple storefronts and with each having their own deals and such to one-up the other.

Exclusivity does not help. Yes, it’s “only” a year, but a year is a long time in the fiscal world.

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

14 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Last time i checked Unreal Tournament wasn't a free to play game. Epic have been around for a while and along with digital extremes they are developers that actually care, the reason devs are running to this store is two big reasons I see:

1. Epic has Fortnite = Epic has money = They are not going to shut shop and run anytime soon.

2. The Significantly less aggressive %cut they are taking compared to steam. 

Say what you want but Unreal Tournament was a cheap quake knock off and that's all it will ever be to me. Lmao pubg - fortnite, quake - unreal tournament. 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   GTX 1070 FTW2   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x8Gb RIP JAWS V   |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

WAHH STEAM IS THE BEST WAHH
Just buy the damn game on the epic game launcher and quit your damn bitching. The launcher itself isn't even bad and it's a damn singleplayer game anyways so who gives two shits about your damn trading cards and achievements.
Steam needs a big ass whooping anyways to get in gear.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GS Ram: 1x8 2400MHz Corsair LPX, 1x8 Avexir Core Series (blue LED) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150 Future Upgrades: 2x 34" 1440p IPS Curved 21:9 Ultrawides and a 27" 1440p IPS Freesync/Gsync 120-144Hz panel

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Just buy the damn game on the epic game launcher and quit your damn bitching. 

Or you could just.....not buy the game and wait until 2020.

Especially if you live outside the US

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

8 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Its steam here who thinks they can strong arm developers into taking there aggressive cut.

Kids these days don't remember what it was like pre-Steam.  When Steam came on the market, it was a blessing for game developers and publishers, because they ONLY took 30%.  I'm not saying Valve couldn't drop their cut (they've certainly made more than enough money by now), but to call it "aggressive" is to ignore history.

7 hours ago, Hellion said:

Define "exclusive" exactly?

Just because the developer doesn't come out and specifically indicate that a game is exclusive doesn't mean that isn't the case. There are many games where the only way to legally obtain a downloadable copy are on steam even though they do not hold the "exclusive" tag.

A developer choosing to publish on only one game store is a far cry different from a game store signing an exclusivity deal with a developer.  So far as I'm aware, Valve has never signed an exclusive deal with any publisher/developer.

1 hour ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Right then cdkeys it is, eventually. I wonder how long before valve starts with exclusivity deals.

Valve is big enough that I don't see it happening.  If it does happen, it will be because the market has forced them into it, and if that's the case, then PC gaming may well be doomed.

12 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Say what you want but Unreal Tournament was a cheap quake knock off and that's all it will ever be to me.

Personally, I've always preferred UT over Quake.

28 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

It’s baffling how some people think this is competition. 

I’m sorry, but it isn’t. It’s the type of competition that results in very little to no benefit for the end consumer. 

The competition that we should be advocating is the type that drives innovation and forces storefronts to come up with ways to one up the other in a way that does not harm consumer choice and other such rights. Such as having a game available in multiple storefronts and with each having their own deals and such to one-up the other.

Exclusivity does not help. Yes, it’s “only” a year, but a year is a long time in the fiscal world.

Ya, until you understand that games published on steam have to be equal to lowest price. If it is 10% off on EG, it has to be 10% off on steam. If it however is 20% off on steam, it doesn't have to be 20% off on EG launcher (unless they're doing that BS)
EG is also offering less fees for publishers.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GS Ram: 1x8 2400MHz Corsair LPX, 1x8 Avexir Core Series (blue LED) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150 Future Upgrades: 2x 34" 1440p IPS Curved 21:9 Ultrawides and a 27" 1440p IPS Freesync/Gsync 120-144Hz panel

20 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Great. They just ensured I'll never buy it then. Congrats, awesome business model... XD

20 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Ugh, can this shit pls stop.... 

Edit: I was seriously hyped for the game but I never pre order and I'll not get it elsewhere other than steam. So either I can still, after release, get it on humble and activate on steam or they done goofed and I'll just not play it. Exclusives are cancer. 

20 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

Greed.

I hope this bites them in the ass.

How can you call this greed? They are offering the game for $10 cheaper this way. They are passing on the savings from the bigger cut that Steam usually takes to the customer. This is the opposite of greed!

I think this is great!

Best Gaming Podcasts on the internet! Check out Orange Lounge Radio Live on Twitch;  Sunday nights at 6PM ET / 9PM PT:

https://www.twitch.tv/vognetwork

“Valve needs a big whooping”

Can’t see how this helps, to be honest. If anything, it really does feel like a lose-lose situation. Epic may have gained some games but also suffers a blow in their image amongst a portion of the PC gaming community.

At the same time, that 18% saved from the lower cut is certainly tempting, but who knows whether the difference in the amount of units shifted is going to make that savings worthwhile.

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

How can you call this greed? They are offering the game for $10 cheaper this way. They are passing on the savings from the bigger cut that Steam usually takes to the customer. This is the opposite of greed!

*In the United States

It’s much more expensive in other countries, especially those with weaker currencies when compared to the US Dollar, particularly due to the lack of regional pricing.

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Just buy the damn game on the epic game launcher and quit your damn bitching. The launcher itself isn't even bad and it's a damn singleplayer game anyways so who gives two shits about your damn trading cards and achievements.

Or they could release everywhere but steam to shove it to valve.

4 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I think this is great!

We literally don't know whether it was due to the difference in percentage that Epic takes, or if it's due to the cash that Epic dumped on DS to gain the exclusivity deal.  Also, just because it happened with one game, doesn't mean it'll happen with them all.  Remember, a large part of the reason games are as expensive on Steam as they are retail, is because publishers made deals with retailers to ensure online sales wouldn't cut more deeply into the retail profits.  I'm not buying the altruism angle.

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

We literally don't know whether it was due to the difference in percentage that Epic takes, or if it's due to the cash that Epic dumped on DS to gain the exclusivity deal.  Also, just because it happened with one game, doesn't mean it'll happen with them all.  Remember, a large part of the reason games are as expensive on Steam as they are retail, is because publishers made deals with retailers to ensure online sales wouldn't cut more deeply into the retail profits.  I'm not buying the altruism angle.

Here’s the thing a lot of people don’t seem to get.

The savings through whatever cost-cutting measures are implemented don’t all go to consumers. Instead, it helps drive profitability. Companies don’t go trying to cut costs just because they care for their customers and want to help them save money. It’s always to help the bottom line. Any savings to consumers aren’t the direct result of cost-cutting. Instead, it’s the secondary outcome.

Anyone who has had experience in business should know this.

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

4 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Or you could refuse to support Epic Games anti-consumer decisions and not buy the game.

How would that help,by supporting a company that locks a game into their store for a year? Steam is just fine,and yeah it is one of the best, and i'd rather support their service as at least they don't do exclusive game deals that limit games into only being available on Steam.

4 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ya, until you understand that games published on steam have to be equal to lowest price. If it is 10% off on EG, it has to be 10% off on steam. If it however is 20% off on steam, it doesn't have to be 20% off on EG launcher (unless they're doing that BS)
EG is also offering less fees for publishers.

Then the publisher is also being greedy, the fees a publisher assumes they are saving won't be helping them if the game is only available on the EG Store.  The freedom of having a choice is a reason to play PC games, may as well play on consoles if people support these exclusive games.

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

*In the United States

It’s much more expensive in other countries, especially those with weaker currencies when compared to the US Dollar, particularly due to the lack of regional pricing.

From what I read it is still 60 EUR in other countries. So, same price as Steam. What's the problem? Now the developer gets more money to develop better content or pay their workers a better salary.

I JUST DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE ARE UPSET ABOUT THIS. Why is Steam getting their feathers ruffled bad for consumers? Exclusivity deals are NOT a new thing: Valve games were exclusive to Steam, EA games exclusive to Origin, Activision / Blizzard games exclusive to Battle.net, Ubisoft games exclusive to Uplay, Etc. etc.

In my opinion, this just forces Valve / Steam to become more developer friendly, reduce the cut they take, or offer better incentives / support to publish on their platform. This can only be a good thing. I have the vast majority of games on my Steam library, but I honestly don't care much for Steam, their client is ugly, stagnant, not innovative, they haven't changed it in YEARS. They only added better chat after everybody switched to discord. Steam just prints money for no effort, and I am glad for someone to come in and kick them in the butt.

Best Gaming Podcasts on the internet! Check out Orange Lounge Radio Live on Twitch;  Sunday nights at 6PM ET / 9PM PT:

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

From what I read it is still 60 EUR in other countries. So, same price as Steam. What's the problem? Now the developer gets more money to develop better content or pay their workers a better salary.

I JUST DON'T GET WHY PEOPLE ARE UPSET ABOUT THIS. Why is Steam getting their feathers ruffled bad for consumers? Exclusivity deals are NOT a new thing: Valve games were exclusive to Steam, EA games exclusive to Origin, Activision / Blizzard games exclusive to Battle.net, Ubisoft games exclusive to Uplay, Etc. etc.

In my opinion, this just forces Valve / Steam to become more developer friendly, reduce the cut they take, or offer better incentives / support to publish on their platform. This can only be a good thing. I have the vast majority of games on my Steam library, but I honestly don't care much for Steam, their client is ugly, stagnant, not innovative, they haven't changed it in YEARS. They only added better chat after everybody switched to discord. Steam just prints money for no effort, and I am glad for someone to come in and kick them in the butt.

not the steam its their games

would you like ea to start locking down everything for themselves? they have the money

if they came up with their own launcher for their games different story

9 minutes ago, maartendc said:

It depends on the region. Here's some examples from SteamDB;

Malaysia - MYR105/$25

Thailand - 1049THB/$33

Poland - 214,99zl/$57

India - 1179INR/$17

The problem is that Epic's Store does not appear to have some sort of regional pricing structure that Steam does. So if you live in a country where its currency is weaker against the US Dollar, well, you got shafted pretty hard when it came to pricing.

Also, wishful thinking on how the extra money goes to better salaries. That's not how the corporate ladder works.

9 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Big difference; The ones you mentioned are all first-party titles. Epic's one extends to third parties.

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

13 minutes ago, maartendc said:

You need to sell a lot of games to make money, sure EGS takes a lower cut but it also has a user base that's pathetically small compared to Steam's.

Also more money to developers? Don't make me laugh, the extra cash is going to be pocketed by publishers.

Spoiler

PC Specs: RTX 2080 XC, R5 1600, 16GB DDR4 2933MHz

5 minutes ago, pas008 said:

if they came up with their own launcher for their games different story

They already have their own ?????

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

4 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

You need to sell a lot of games to make money, sure EGS takes a lower cut but it also has a user base that's pathetically small compared to Steam's.

Also more money to developers? Don't make me laugh, the extra cash is going to be pocketed by publishers.

- Uhm, ever heard of a little game called Fortnite? It has over 200 million players, and they all have the EGS installed... Yeah.

- A lot of developers self-publish nowadays (look at Bungie, they just went independent from Activision and took Destiny IP with them). This is the strength of digital platforms like Steam, EGS, GOG, etc. Developers can easily self-publish and don't need a big publisher taking the money. This is all great.

Again, no idea where all the hate for EGS comes from. As if Steam is so great and holy? Please, gimme a break. I guess I will file this under #gamershateeverything

Just now, maartendc said:

- A lot of developers self-publish nowadays (look at Bungie, they just went independent from Activision and took Destiny IP with them). This is the strength of digital platforms like Steam, EGS, GOG, etc. Developers can easily self-publish and don't need a big publisher taking the money. This is all great.

Metro isn't self-published though. It's published by a company called Deep Silver,

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM