Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Metro Exodus exclusivity deal with Epic Store, But Steam preorders will still be fulfilled

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I’m a bit confused how you guys are putting all the blame on Epic for this, this is on the developer, they made the choice. Epic offers them a business deal, the developer decided that the compensation to go exclusive with Epic justified not distributing the game else where. Nothing shady about that, not one bit. Epic is trying to establish its service right now and has decided that the course they want to travel is trying to sign big exclusives, and considering the reported cuts that Valve takes from the developer I don’t blame them for going the Epic route. And how much of an inconvenience is it to you guys to have another launcher? Geez that never once entered my mind as being an issue.

The blame should go to the Deep Silver (the publisher) who made the decision to make the game Epic only (at least when I read the last paragraph of what 4A Games wrote to the Steam as notice, it seems like 4A didn't like the salt in Deep Silvers decision).

 

For me personaly it's a huge inconvenience. Having +450 games in Steam, then some games in Uplay (mostly something got for free), a lot in GoG (retro stuff and if I was to vote, the best store front) and now I should install some program for that one game, which happened with Destiny 2 and battle.net, which I uninstalled after playing the story through. I would have loved someone like Epic or Unity or any still huge and neutral company to make a gamehub that combines everything because it is F'ing inconvenient to have multiple different storefronts where in most you have one or two games and ten "here take a free game" garbage. And then there comes one more again that you need to install, make an account, put your payment information into, setup the folders because they normally are always defaulted to where the storefront is installed, then install the game, play it through and then uninstall everything and double check that you didn't leave your payment infos at the store front because you can never be too sure that they can handle their security. And in the end, it doesn't even matter was the game in one or multiple places, it still costs the same, only different thing is the effort.

 

Then there's just the bullshit part. It took Steam quite many years to grow into such scale that officials became aware of it and started to look into it. At least I don't know any other digital storefront that has been forced to to apply with consumer right laws about faulty products and return policies. Yeah, I think it's one huge thing that the game publishers and others should really start to look at the book that doesn't read "how do you find the fine print in the law and use it for your own gain" but the book that reads "It's a fucking law, obey it and fuck that fly shit and think about the spirit of the law rather than your own gain". It's just discusting what ZeniMax/Bethesda did with the Fallout 76 (published it on their own launcher and sold only through there, majory because they knew the game was shit and with their own storefront they could make their own return policies which were basicly non-existent) and sadly they can get away with it because the whole playing field is already such a clusterfuck that it starts to be impossible to control it and make sure everyone plays by the rules. The main reason why I never ever want to work with any big game studio again was that they mostly gained their funding and did the work for some spineless publisher who came up with so morally wrong decisions as lootboxes and p2w instead of letting people do their work a bit more and design the game so that it actually can be profitable without being borderline illegal (not even going to the other shit publishers do, like decide that the game must come out this day... not few weeks before that date, because reason X and it doesn't matter if it's filled with bugs and half of the game is written in bubblegum because there's just no time to fix it and clean it). So, when I saw that Epic was launching their own storefront, it was immediatly "oh, they are going to avert laws and do something so borderline illegal that with bigger audience they would be in so much trouble"-reaction, which came true and bit more with Bethesda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

The blame should go to the Deep Silver (the publisher) who made the decision to make the game Epic only (at least when I read the last paragraph of what 4A Games wrote to the Steam as notice, it seems like 4A didn't like the salt in Deep Silvers decision).

 

For me personaly it's a huge inconvenience. Having +450 games in Steam, then some games in Uplay (mostly something got for free), a lot in GoG (retro stuff and if I was to vote, the best store front) and now I should install some program for that one game, which happened with Destiny 2 and battle.net, which I uninstalled after playing the story through. I would have loved someone like Epic or Unity or any still huge and neutral company to make a gamehub that combines everything because it is F'ing inconvenient to have multiple different storefronts where in most you have one or two games and ten "here take a free game" garbage. And then there comes one more again that you need to install, make an account, put your payment information into, setup the folders because they normally are always defaulted to where the storefront is installed, then install the game, play it through and then uninstall everything and double check that you didn't leave your payment infos at the store front because you can never be too sure that they can handle their security. And in the end, it doesn't even matter was the game in one or multiple places, it still costs the same, only different thing is the effort.

 

Then there's just the bullshit part. It took Steam quite many years to grow into such scale that officials became aware of it and started to look into it. At least I don't know any other digital storefront that has been forced to to apply with consumer right laws about faulty products and return policies. Yeah, I think it's one huge thing that the game publishers and others should really start to look at the book that doesn't read "how do you find the fine print in the law and use it for your own gain" but the book that reads "It's a fucking law, obey it and fuck that fly shit and think about the spirit of the law rather than your own gain". It's just discusting what ZeniMax/Bethesda did with the Fallout 76 (published it on their own launcher and sold only through there, majory because they knew the game was shit and with their own storefront they could make their own return policies which were basicly non-existent) and sadly they can get away with it because the whole playing field is already such a clusterfuck that it starts to be impossible to control it and make sure everyone plays by the rules. The main reason why I never ever want to work with any big game studio again was that they mostly gained their funding and did the work for some spineless publisher who came up with so morally wrong decisions as lootboxes and p2w instead of letting people do their work a bit more and design the game so that it actually can be profitable without being borderline illegal (not even going to the other shit publishers do, like decide that the game must come out this day... not few weeks before that date, because reason X and it doesn't matter if it's filled with bugs and half of the game is written in bubblegum because there's just no time to fix it and clean it). So, when I saw that Epic was launching their own storefront, it was immediatly "oh, they are going to avert laws and do something so borderline illegal that with bigger audience they would be in so much trouble"-reaction, which came true and bit more with Bethesda.

I mis represented what I meant, I meant publisher not developer, that’s my fault

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were Gabe Newell, I'd improve the source 2 engine so it's up to par with modern AAA game engines and half life 3(or left 4 dead or portal) to get back the fans as well as revenue cuts for the steam store. I don't want steam become like blockbuster simply because they failed to adapt

 

Valve now cant just sit on their ass and wait for money to pile up from steam, they now have serious competition and need to bring back the customers in time.

 


Damn....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough with the exclusivity bullcrap, please.

 

Just how in the world are we so accepting of this just because of “muh competition”?


Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

 

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Intriguingly, the game will cost $50 on Epic's store in the US, when it was originally listed on Steam for the usual $59.99. Epic's competitive revenue split of 88/12 is attributed as the reason behind the leaner price."

Yeah, I don't expect this to become the norm anytime soon..
Digital games already have a much better revenue split toward developers/publishers in the first place, because they don't have to burn discs and print manuals or purchase boxes or anything like that really. The savings they make by not needing physical goods could easily be used to reduce to cost of games, yet that's a big fat nope. a) because greed and b) because brick and motor stores complain saying they can't compete.

What I see from this is just EPIC giving them a backroom deal to say "look, lower your price so our platform look more attractive to other publishers and developers and we'll also pay you to make it exclusive to our platform for a year alright?"


CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

"Intriguingly, the game will cost $50 on Epic's store in the US, when it was originally listed on Steam for the usual $59.99. Epic's competitive revenue split of 88/12 is attributed as the reason behind the leaner price."

That price reduction apparently applies only to the US. EU and the UK still have it at their usual prices.

 

The people who think lowering the storefront’s cut has a direct correlation to cheaper games likely has not worked in a corporate environment before.


Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

 

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TetraSky said:


What I see from this is just EPIC giving them a backroom deal to say "look, lower your price so our platform look more attractive to other publishers and developers and we'll also pay you to make it exclusive to our platform for a year alright?"

If this is what happened I’m ok with it, seems like smart business.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing watching whiney tools complain because their precious steam doesn't have what they want.

 

How about stop being a slave to DRM spyware clients? Problem solved.

 

Not to mention a cracked version will be available to download for free within weeks after launch.

 

Don't like it? Then stop supporting DRM as a whole rather then proposing double standards that DRM is only okay if one corporation has a monopoly.

 

Steam is just as much if not more cancerous to PC gaming then any of the other more recent upstarts.


What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

 

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hellion said:

It's amazing watching whiney tools complain because their precious steam doesn't have what they want.

 

How about stop being a slave to DRM spyware clients? Problem solved.

 

Not to mention a cracked version will be available to download for free within weeks after launch.

 

Don't like it? Then stop supporting DRM as a whole rather then proposing double standards that DRM is only okay if one corporation has a monopoly.

True.

Quote

Steam is just as much if not more cancerous to PC gaming then any of the other more recent upstarts.

This I don't agree with, steam has done a lot for the gaming community over the years, but unlike most of the comments here I welcome the competition if its putting more money into the hands of the developers. Steam charges way more than they need to and thats why companies are using different launchers/platforms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Enough with the exclusivity bullcrap, please.

 

Just how in the world are we so accepting of this just because of “muh competition”?

It hasn't existed in the PC games industry before now. And I think that nobody should tolerate it. It's disreputable of Tim Sweeney to bring into the games industry and suggests he has little regard for the games industry beyond its potential to make him money.

 

13 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

That price reduction apparently applies only to the US. EU and the UK still have it at their usual prices.

 

The people who think lowering the storefront’s cut has a direct correlation to cheaper games likely has not worked in a corporate environment before.

The 'it will translate to reduced prices for the consumer' lie was paraded about when games first went digital when Valve launched Steam and people weren't happy about having their games tied to a digital store. Developers told gamers that the costs developers will save from not having to physically make, deliver, and sell their games would mean that savings can be passed on the customers. Games ended up costing the same through Steam and other digital stores, while publishers and developers kept all the savings for themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

That price reduction apparently applies only to the US. EU and the UK still have it at their usual prices.

 

The people who think lowering the storefront’s cut has a direct correlation to cheaper games likely has not worked in a corporate environment before.

I think people are also underestimating Epic Store's lack of proper regional game pricing here.

 

One of the reasons people bought the Exodus pre-order on Steam was due to the fact that it was still going to be cheaper for certain users due to Steam's more varied and generally fair regional pricing for less developed countries.

 

I certainly expect Exodus to be pirated a lot just because of the horrible prices users in less developed countries would have to pay for the game on the Epic Store.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

True.

This I don't agree with, steam has done a lot for the gaming community over the years, but unlike most of the comments here I welcome the competition if its putting more money into the hands of the developers. Steam charges way more than they need to and thats why companies are using different launchers/platforms.

The only positive impact steam has had on PC gaming is in the Linux community with the proton wrapper. However that still requires a DRM/spyware client be installed to utilize which defeats the entire purpose of using an open source operating system.

 

GOG has created a far better experience then any of the competition a million times over. Even with the platforms minor flaws at least the business model and those behind it actually have an ethics system I can get behind and support.

 

The less DRM consumers support the more options they will have. The state of the market as s whole is a reflection of the average consumer that doesn't care how many hoops hey have to jump through as long as they get want they want.


What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

 

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Hellion said:

How about stop being a slave to DRM spyware clients?

Considering that Valve's DRM is entirely fucking optional -- they don't force publishers to use it, the publishers themselves make the decision whether to use it or not -- and there are plenty of games on Steam that work perfectly well even if you uninstall Steam completely after installing the game....yeah, your argument isn't nearly as good as you think.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The 'it will translate to reduced prices for the consumer' lie was paraded about when games first went digital when Valve launched Steam and people weren't happy about having their games tied to a digital store. Developers told gamers that the costs developers will save from not having to physically make, deliver, and sell their games would mean that savings can be passed on the customers. Games ended up costing the same through Steam and other digital stores, while publishers and developers kept all the savings for themselves.

I don’t have a problem with them not lowering the price, the fact of the matter is it reduces waste and skips out from me having to go to a store to buy a disc that I will use for install then discard. The price for mainstream games was already established and they held to it, smart business. If they paraded around the promise/lie of lower prices from digital than that’s dirty

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hellion said:

It's amazing watching whiney tools complain because their precious steam doesn't have what they want.

Eh, you're fighting for the wrong cause. 

 

Nobody said it should just be on Steam. Unless you literally search for interesting things on Gabe Newell's life, what you want is choice. You want a choice of storefronts so you can buy stuff from any one store where you're getting a better deal. 

 

I will be fine with the game being on Epic if it was not made as a yearly exclusive. If I am able to get it off Steam, GoG or any other storefront, then I would have been totally okay with it. 


Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

 

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Considering that Valve's DRM is entirely fucking optional -- they don't force publishers to use it, the publishers themselves make the decision whether to use it or not -- and there are plenty of games on Steam that work perfectly well even if you uninstall Steam completely after installing the game....yeah, your argument isn't nearly as good as you think.

You still have to install steam to use it. Whether or not you can uninstall it after the fact is completely irrelevant.

 

The only reason game publishers choose to use steam is due to popularity. A larger consumer base equals more sales. If people stopped supporting steam then there would be more DRM/spyware free content on places like GOG that don't force you to download anything outside of the actual game files.


What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

 

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Eh, you're fighting for the wrong cause. 

 

Nobody said it should just be on Steam. Unless you literally search for interesting things on Gabe Newell's life, what you want is choice. You want a choice of storefronts so you can buy stuff from any one store where you're getting a better deal. 

There are several posts thus far in this thread where users are whining simply because it's not available on their bandwagon client of choice. There are also several complaining about having to install an additional piece of software but have no problems doing so for steam itself.

 

I personally don't give a shit where I get a game from. What I care about is not having to be forced into bullshit terms I don't agree with to play it.


What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

 

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hellion said:

I personally don't give a shit where I get a game from. What I care about is not having to be forced into bullshit terms I don't agree with to play it.

And that's why I will not be getting this game, even if it's really good. 

 

I don't like what Epic is doing and I refuse to support them.


Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

 

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whelp..... Just another game I was looking forward to not getting cause Epic store


Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

 

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

 

 QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

And what is exactly is epic doing thats so wrong here?

Hindering the ability for consumers to pick where they would like to buy their products from? 

 

It was already bad enough with first party titles. Now third-parties are involved and it sickens me. 

 

If you want me to buy from your storefront, then you had better give me a pretty fucking compelling reason to do so. If your strategy is to basically force me on them when I have no other choice other than to not buy the game, guess what I'm doing? 

 

There's also the problem of regional pricing. That's the one advantage Steam has. It bothers me on how Epic has not taken a leaf out of that playbook. 


Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

 

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Hindering the ability for consumers to pick where they would like to buy their products from? 

 

It was already bad enough with first party titles. Now third-parties are involved and it sickens me. 

Honestly that seems like an ass-backwards way to look at it.

 

Lets say you're a developer and have an option to make $30 or $20 when you sell a copy of your game, which will you choose? Epic isn't doing anything wrong. Its steam here who thinks they can strong arm developers into taking there aggressive cut. No one is forcing developers to choose epic over steam. Its the developers choice not epics lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×