Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Metro Exodus exclusivity deal with Epic Store, But Steam preorders will still be fulfilled

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

doesnt matter. They were and they have been the defacto choice for anyone not making their own store for just their own games. 

It does matter. Steam has been the non-bought choice of many publishers because of the quality and reputation of their platform - not because they threw money at 3rd-party developers to prevent them from selling their game on another platform.

The freedom to publish wherever a developer wants is what puts the onus on competition of service. When publishers pay for exclusivity then the quality of service isn't a factor and there is no competition to do better - only to ink a deal first.

12 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I love people quoting half of what I say. 

I quoted your full post. You then edited your post.

18 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

MS does this is windows store, EA does this with origin, blizzard with battlenet ubisoft with uplay, but no FUCK EPIC because they paid people to chose their platform. Fuck me for thinking we can have an actual competitor to steam that's not just for one company's games. 

Again, it isn't the same thing, as those publishers you mentioned don't do what Epic is doing: They publish their own games on their own platforms. They don't pay for exclusives from 3rd-party developers.

Epic has been publishing their own games on their own platform for a long time: Unreal Tournament 4, Fortnite, some other games... and nobody complained. Nor would the overall community have an issue if Epic just continued to do that.

It's that Epic is now sleazily falsifying exclusives for its platform to the detriment of the community by throwing money at developers. There is no competition of service here, only competition of who can offer the bigger wad of cash and get the exclusivity deal first. And so far only Epic is playing that game, so there isn't competition there yet. But, if there becomes competition in this area then it will be bad for all gamers.

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

doesnt matter. They were and they have been the defacto choice for anyone not making their own store for just their own games. 

Their own game. Not third party. Unlike epic valve isn't going around buying. Exclusively rights to a game from third parties an, as we can see here, force the removal from other store fronts 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

7 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I just want to know what Epic is doing to get these deals. I would be interested to see if they had any sales figures to justify whatever they're having to give up for all these exclusivity deals.

Giving them money.

12 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I clicked the quote button before you added that in?

I don't think I added it in. 
From our end, it doenst matter if there's an exclusivity deal, there's always been one platform to buy stuff from for a lot of games. It doesn't affect our ability to play them. The real problem was for the longest time steam was the only real platform for publishers to chose unless they wanted to make their own in the manner of origin. 

They chose this exclusivity deal because epic could offer them something for it. It affects very little. 

They didn't sign exclusivity as a developer- they can chose to launch on any platform and chose this one because they could offer a better deal. 

Steam has had what is basically a monopoly for too long. 

Valve has been barely pro-developer and definitely anti-consumer for a long time, yet some years ago all these valve and gaben memes started popping up and suddenly we all worship them. It's stupid. 

And now we have one platform pop up and try to take games from valve and we can't tolerate that, oh no. An exclusivity deal, a regular practice one of the only things that gives the epic store any chance of having an momentum to start with. 
Do ya'll not remember how much everyone hated steam when it launched?

I do. 
Do you not remember non-vavle games getting launched steam only after a deal with valve and everyone hating it? 

I do. 

https://store.steampowered.com/news/2986/

You think this is different, but to our end it makes no difference, it's one platform either way. Valve has not made any recent deals to have exclusivity because there is 0 reason for them to. I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm saying stop treating it like it's bad because not valve or that it's even equivalent to console exclusives, because it's not. 

@Delicieuxz @suicidalfranco

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Update: Deep Silver says it'll return to Steam... in 2020:

image.png.4d070c1eacf67fb742840eb2322401c3.png

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

From our end, it doenst matter if there's an exclusivity deal, there's always been one platform to buy stuff from for a lot of games. It doesn't affect our ability to play them. The real problem was for the longest time steam was the only real platform for publishers to chose unless they wanted to make their own in the manner of origin. 

They chose this exclusivity deal because epic could offer them something for it. It affects very little. 

They didn't sign exclusivity as a developer- they can chose to launch on any platform and chose this one because they could offer a better deal. 

Valve has been barely pro-developer and definitely anti-consumer for a long time, yet some years ago all these valve and gaben memes started popping up and suddenly we all worship them. It's stupid. 

And now we have one platform pop up and try to take games from valve and we can't tolerate that, oh no. An exclusivity deal, a regular practice one of the only things that gives the epic store any chance of having an momentum to start with. 

I do. 
Do you not remember non-vavle games getting launched steam only after deal with valve and everyone hating it? 

I do. 

You think this is different, but to our end it makes no difference, it's one platform either way. Valve has not made any recent deals to have exclusivity because there is 0 reason for them to. I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm saying stop treating it like it's bad because not valve or that it's even equivalent to console exclusives, because it's not. 

Valve had a monopoly because valve managed to offer the better service for both consumers and developers without attempting to cut out the competition with under the table deals 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Giving them money.

Right, but is the amount they are giving enough to cover potential lost profit for not putting it on steam is more of what I meant.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

18 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Right, but is the amount they are giving enough to cover potential lost profit for not putting it on steam is more of what I meant.

I think there's a trade of potential higher long-term profits potential in exchange for raising the guaranteed minimum earnings from a title:

If a developer accepts money up-front for an exclusivity deal with a less popular platform then they have at least guaranteed that they will receive a certain chunk of income from the exclusivity deal. So, it lets them predict their return a bit more but likely also means that their highest earnings potential is reduced by a bit.

Epic currently has lots of money to throw around as they're making billions from Fortnite.

I think that what Epic is doing to the gaming community is a real threat to its quality and freedom, as well as the posterity of access for people to the games they purchase, and that any developer participating in one of these exclusivity deals should be lambasted and boycott. For me, this creates a black mark on Epic and Sweeney's reputations.

-delete- 

something wrong with the forums for me lol 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

38 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Valve had a monopoly because valve managed to offer the better service for both consumers 

....hahahahahahahahahahahahah

do you not remember how bad steam was? 

And their customer service was a meme. 

38 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and developers without attempting to cut out the competition with under the table deals 

I literally linked you one above. It killed the games pc version. 

No, they didn't do it often, but they did. 

there are plenty of problems for gamers, and I really dont think the exclusivity deal is one of them, it' snot comparable to a console one. 

Here are the actual problems with this problems
-the game has denuvo
-Epic is probably not ready or reliable enough

-Epic is indeed shady, but no more shady than valve was. 

-it was on sale for steam already and was taken away, in this ages of preorders thats a yikes

-the discount only applies to US customers, making the game 50 US and 60 Euro (68 USD)
-vale lets you generate as many keys as you want for the game and distribute how you want with 100% profit or for free, which is how you see it on key resellers. I dont think epic offer that to the same level
- 2 weeks from release 

-the rest of the series is on steam 

Also, can we get an unrelated fuck you to deep silver for taking down the original 2033 and only allowing you to buy redux? 

muh specs 

All parts black

So pre-orders already placed on the steam store will be fulfilled on steam still...ok then

I LOVE metro, fucking adore it but this has me questioning my will to buy it now, i'm already gonna miss out on the rtx effects as it is and now this meme

Edit: Also yea Denuvo...

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

I am a bit behind on the news, but other than Exclusivity nonsense what's wrong with the store?

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

The sales for this game is going to be terrible. I'm gonna pirate it though, I don't want to deal with Denuvo or Epic.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 8GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

one less game to buy this year  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edit : It Isn't a Competition when it's being removed on one to put on an other. competition needs 2 participants, making games exclusive is not competition.   

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Yes they did sign an exclusivity deal. They have forgone the right to launch on other pc stores for a year.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think that what Epic is doing to the gaming community is a real threat to its quality and freedom, as well as the posterity of access for people to the games they purchase, and that any developer participating in one of these exclusivity deals should be lambasted and boycott. For me, this creates a black mark on Epic and Sweeney's reputations.

Exactly. The cancer of backroom exclusivity deals runs rife in the console world. The console makers make deals with 3rd party devs in order to keep games off competing platforms. It's not healthy that this is coming into the PC world too. Now if a game dev wants to move off steam and onto other stores they should do so without signing backroom deals for timed exclusivity.

Do ya'll not remember how much everyone hated steam when it launched?I do. 

If devs do not like steam then they need to take their games off steam and launch on other stores like Epic, Gog, Origin etc. This is not about steam. Remember the devs have forgone the rights to launch on other stores too. Steam just happens to be the market leader now.

I do. 
Do you not remember non-vavle games getting launched steam only after a deal with valve and everyone hating it? 

I do. 

It does not matter how much steam or valve sucks or how much people hated them. You are diverting the topic by talking about that. The principle is that we do not want this curse of backroom exclusivity deals on pc. There has not been any games launched on steam with an exclusivity deal. 

You think this is different, but to our end it makes no difference, it's one platform either way. Valve has not made any recent deals to have exclusivity because there is 0 reason for them to. I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm saying stop treating it like it's bad because not valve or that it's even equivalent to console exclusives, because it's not. ]

Of course it makes a difference to us. If the big PC stores like Origin, Steam, Epic, GOG etc start asking devs to sign deals it makes a massive difference to us and limits developer freedom. A simple example is that Steam and GOG cover all 3 PC operating systems- Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. So if somebody makes an exclusivity deal with a store that doesn't support all 3 PC operating systems those players lose out. On the other hand if a dev decides they want to launch only on Epic store and keep their lives simple then more power to them.

Valve has never made any exclusivity deals. No 3rd party dev has ever had to sign on the dotted line a contract with Valve saying that they will not launch on GOG or Origin etc for the next one year.

btw Valve deserves all our wrath for sitting on piles of cash and not making games. And they should have lowered the 30% cut on steam instead of being greedy.

But let's not criticize them for things they never did.

Read the below link

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/17/valve-offers-vr-developers-funding-to-avoid-platform-exclusive-deals/

When Valve offers a loan to an indie dev they sign an agreement saying that they have to launch on steam. But it's not exclusive. So they may launch on other PC stores like GOG and Origin etc simultaneously.

And I reiterate this is not about Steam. They are the market leader now. But in 10 years it will probably be someone different. Whoever it is we do not want the stores doing shady deals to see how they can coerce devs to avoid other stores. 

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Exclusivity deals are evil and make things worse for the whole community. I initially had thought that Tim Sweeney was a good guy and that the Epic Store would bring positive competition for PC digital retailers, but it's clear now that Tim Sweeney's actions are self-centred and he is bringing a disease into the community with his paid-for (not earned through merit of having a better system) exclusives. He is making himself an enemy, not a friend, of the PC gaming community.

Wasn't really anything new from Epic. Looking at the history of Unreal Engine (mainly 3 and 4) and you might see how self-centered Epic really has been for a long time. Took enough time for a competing game engine to come to markets before Epic even let someone else than AAA-company to use Unreal, which gave birth to Unreal 3 UDK to try to get then rising indie developers to use Unreal instead of Unity. Unreal 4 and Unity 5 were published around same times and it took Epic sometime to release that they are scrapping the old licence model and changing to the same kind of licence as Unity uses (10k profits and you start paying 5% royalties), fun thing is Epic was so sure that Unity 5 will still not challenge Unreal as AAA engine and was ready to ship Unreal 4 and Unreal 4 UDK versions (difference is UDK is royalty based licence and you cannot fiddle with the engine meaning it's more like making a mod to Unreal Tournament, the real Unreal Engine licence price depended on who is asking but it was usually millions of dollars), I don't know what happened and who threatened who, but at last Epic saw Unity 5 as a real competitor in AAA game engines.

Speaking to PC gamer Tim Sweeney made the following comments

"These exclusives don’t come to stores for free; they’re a result of some combination of marketing commitments, development funding, or revenue guarantees. This all helps developers."

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/epics-tim-sweeney-reveals-how-the-company-lands-exclusives-for-the-epic-store/

Also want to point out that valve's previous cut was the same cut that gamestop would take, except that steam didnt lower publisher revenues by offering to buy back and resell used copies.

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

MS does this is windows store, EA does this with origin, blizzard with battlenet ubisoft with uplay, but no FUCK EPIC because they paid people to chose their platform. Fuck me for thinking we can have an actual competitor to steam that's not just for one company's games. 

Only Microsoft and Oculus have done it on PC.

-EA chooses to keep their own games on Origin

-Blizzard chooses to keep their own games on battlenet

-Valve chooses to keep their own games on steam

-Ubisoft chooses to keep their own games on uplay with purchases allowed on Origin and Steam too

This is different from paying off 3rd party devs to be exclusive to your store.

15 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Also want to point out that valve's previous cut was the same cut that gamestop would take, except that steam didnt lower publisher revenues by offering to buy back and resell used copies.

While this is true, people who are bring this up are missing the point of this discussion.

If Valve's cut is too much then just take your game off Steam. They can choose to sell it only on the Epic store. Or they can mix it up with Epic, Origin and GOG etc just avoiding Steam. Either way it's fine.

The problem here is signing a deal with one store saying that you will avoid other store/s for a year. That is not healthy competition.

Just now, Humbug said:

Also people who are bring this up are missing the point.

If Valve's cut is too much then just take your game off Steam. They can choose to sell it only on the Epic store. Or they can mix it up with Epic, Origin and GOG etc just avoiding Steam. Either way it's fine.

The problem here is signing a deal with one store saying that you will avoid other store/s for a year. That is not healthy competition.

It's not missing the point. The point is quite clear, they want the money. Whether that's the much lower cut or the special deal they get it's all money

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

It's not missing the point. The point is quite clear, they want the money. Whether that's the much lower cut or the special deal they get it's all money

I was talking about for the good of the pc gaming industry. The special deal is the problem here cause they are signing away their rights. On the other hand the lower cut is a good thing.

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

I was talking about for the good of the pc gaming industry. The special deal is the problem here cause they are signing away their rights. On the other hand the lower cut is a good thing.

It's definitely extra shitty that they are retroactively taking games off other stores, that is fair. But I really think people are underestimating how much that cut factors into it besides the offer epic is making. Which isnt even considered sustainable if they didnt have fortnite money.