Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_StrikE_

Metro Exodus exclusivity deal with Epic Store, But Steam preorders will still be fulfilled

Posted · Original PosterOP

It seems that the people behind Metro Exodus have signed an exclusivity deal with Epic Store:

Metro Exodus will release "solely" on the Epic Games Store when it launches on February 15, Epic and publisher Deep Silver have revealed today. 

Intriguingly, the game will cost $50 on Epic's store in the US, when it was originally listed on Steam for the usual $59.99. Epic's competitive revenue split of 88/12 is attributed as the reason behind the leaner price. "We are delighted to partner with Epic to bring the digital PC version of Metro Exodus to market," comments Deep Silver CEO Klemens Kundratitz. "Epic's generous revenue terms are a game changer that will allow publishers to invest more into content creation, or pass on savings to the players. By teaming up with Epic we will be able to invest more into the future of Metro and our ongoing partnership with series developer 4A Games, to the benefit of our Metro fans."

Fortunately though Steam Preorders will still be fulfilled:

If you have already preordered the game on Steam, you'll get to play it on there. Epic's exact words on that subject are that "any customer with an outstanding preorder for Metro Exodus on PC through any digital retailer will receive their game as expected." 

You can still currently preorder on Steam, but not for long it seems. You'll find this notice now: "Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store. The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam. We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know."

Original Article here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

But it also has been pulbished to other outlets, so pick your poison:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/28/18200610/metro-exodus-epic-games-store-exclusive-pc

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/28/metro-exodus-becomes-epic-games-store-exclusive/

Personally i'm irritated, yet again more of this exclusivity BS, i'm really starting to dislike Epic Store more and more, i don't have anything against a new store but i do hate how they are limiting choices to their store only, i will probably try to see if i can still grab the game on steam, otherwise unless the people behind Metro change their minds and also launch it on steam at a later date its a no buy for me on principal alone, i refuse to buy anything from Epic Store for this tactics.

EDIT/Update:

Update: A later press release we received from Deep Silver explained that the game will return to Steam a year after release. "Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14 February 2020." 

Thanks to @Nowak for bringing this updated news to attention.

Original Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/metro-exodus-will-only-release-on-the-epic-store-but-steam-preorders-will-be-honoured/

PS: Guess i'll buy it in a year ?

Edit/Update 2: Valve's Comment on the situation:

image.png

Kudos goes to @AluminiumTech for bringing this to attention.

If you think about it this is a pretty scummy move since they used steam as advertisement and just before launch they packed up and left... Says a lot of how trustworthy deepsilver is as well...

Edit/Update 3: Apparently THQ made a statement as well:

THQ Nordic says it had no part in the decision to make “Metro Exodus” a timed exclusive for the Epic Games Store in a tweet Tuesday.

“The decision to publish ‘Metro Exodus’ as a timed Epic Store exclusive was made entirely on Koch Media’s side as ‘Metro’ is their intellectual property,” the tweet from THQ Nordic stated. “They are a sister company of THQ Nordic (Vienna), which is the reason why we can [sic] and will not comment on this matter.”

“We do not want to categorically exclude the possibility of timed exclusives for any of our games in the future,” THQ wrote. “But speaking in the here and now, we definitely want to have the players choose the platform of their liking and make our portfolio available to as many outlets as possible.”

Official Source: https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/thq-nordic-metro-exodus-epic-store-was-all-koch-media-1203122148/

Thanks go to @Stefan Payne for bringing it to attention.

Processor: Intel i7 6700 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3 | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Memory: 16Gb (2x8) Kingston Savage @2400 Mhz DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060 OC Gaming

Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze | Case: Sharkoon M25-W 7.1
OS SDD: Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB | Gaming SDD: AMD Radeon R3 240 GB

Gaming HDD: TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB | Data HDD 1:Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 

Data HDD 2: Western Digital WD20EZRZ 2TB | Data HDD 3: Toshiba P300 3TB

External DVD-RW: LG GP57ES40

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG SI 7.1 | Headphones: Hyper X Cloud Core | Speakers: F&D 2.1 A111U

Display: LG 34UM58 34" IPS

Peripherals: Redragon Andromeda Rainbow keyboard/STEELSERIES Rival 110 Mouse/Xbox 360 Gamepad

Ugh, can this shit pls stop.... 

Edit: I was seriously hyped for the game but I never pre order and I'll not get it elsewhere other than steam. So either I can still, after release, get it on humble and activate on steam or they done goofed and I'll just not play it. Exclusives are cancer. 

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X@stock - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
i7 2600k @stock - H100i GTX - Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe - Asus GTX 1050Ti Strix - 16gb HyperX Fury 1866mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 840 EVO - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Enthoo Evolv ITX - Dell U3415W - Benq XL2411T - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5* - 
250gb 970 Evo - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, ScratchCat said:

Obligatory "just release the third version of a certain game..."

wow if HL3 was the first Steam Exclusive that'd be pretty weak o_o

wasnt going to buy it but this sucks, Epic games store has some really shity Ts and Cs, never going to touch anything on there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Exclusivity deals are evil and make things worse for the whole community. I initially had thought that Tim Sweeney was a good guy and that the Epic Store would bring positive competition for PC digital retailers, but it's clear now that Tim Sweeney's actions are self-centred and he is bringing a disease into the community with his paid-for (not earned through merit of having a better system) exclusives. He is making himself an enemy, not a friend, of the PC gaming community.

The exclusivity cancer is creeping more and more into PC gaming

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

I love how everyone was ok with steam being the only platform shit was released on, but people do the same thing on epic and we're all up in arms. 

Oh no fuck competition that's bad. I want one company to control distribution on PC entirely because fuck me if I have to in stall another launcher. 

MS does this is windows store, EA does this with origin, blizzard with battlenet ubisoft with uplay, but no FUCK EPIC because they paid people to chose their platform. Fuck me for thinking we can have an actual competitor to steam that's not just for one company's games. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I love how everyone was ok with steam being the only platform shit was released on, but people do the same thing on epic and we're all up in arms. 

Oh no fuck competition that's bad. I want one company to control distribution on PC entirely because fuck me if I have to in stall another launcher. 

Valve never required for games to exclusively be released on steam and removed from other store fronts 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Not the same thing at all. Steam didn't do exclusivity deals with 3rd parties. If 3rd parties chose to not sell their game on other platforms then that was entirely of their choice. Valve let devs choose where they want to sell and competed by the reputation of their service. Epic is buying out developers' choice of where to publish their games.

Competition is multiple people trying to out-do the other - not signing no-compete deals. Epic is being anti-competition.

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

Valve never required for games to exclusively be released on steam and removed from other store fronts 

doesnt matter. They were and they have been the defacto choice for anyone not making their own store for just their own games. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I just want to know what Epic is doing to get these deals. I would be interested to see if they had any sales figures to justify whatever they're having to give up for all these exclusivity deals.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

Not the same thing at all. Steam didn't do exclusivity deals with 3rd parties. If 3rd parties chose to not sell their game on other platforms then that was entirely of their choice. Valve let devs choose where they want to sell and competed by the reputation of their service. Epic is buying out developers' choice of where to publish their games.

Competition is multiple people trying to out-do the other - not signing no-compete deals.

I love people quoting half of what I say. 

muh specs 

All parts black

So now I've got to have Origin, Uplay, Steam, and Epic Games. No one is going to use Epic Games. They forget, they got famous for a FREE to play game with microtransactions, not a game people had to actually purchase. In my humble opinion I believe this will genuinely hurt Metros latest title sales wise.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   GTX 1070 FTW2   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x8Gb RIP JAWS V   |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The thing is that Valve never required Steam exclusivity. That was explicitly the publisher's choice.

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

Just now, Nowak said:

The thing is that Valve never required Steam exclusivity. That was explicitly the publisher's choice.

can yall stop cutting out the second half? Thanks

muh specs 

All parts black

Do you think if I bought it on Humble store right now (which alleges Steam key delivery), it would be honored? I have a lot of credit there I'd like to use up.

Awesome. 

So I have Metro 2033 and Last Light on Steam, now just because I'm not pre-ordering I won't be able to have the 3rd Metro on Steam? 

I havent bought Mass Effect and Crysis games because of this exact same reason. 1&2 are on Steam but 3rd is on Origin... Cmon! 

I used Epic Games just once to try Fortnite which I Uninstalled the same day I got it. Ever since then I get multiple emails daily with warnings that someone is trying to log into my Epic acc... And you expect me to BUY stuff in there? 

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

can yall stop cutting out the second half? Thanks

I clicked the quote button before you added that in?

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

3 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Is EG's platform only published via exclusivity deals? Seems unlikely. EG probably gave them a big chunk of cash to make that title EG exclusive. Inb4 Metro Fortnite skins...

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   GTX 1070 FTW2   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x8Gb RIP JAWS V   |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor