What fan header should I plug in my AIO Cooler Pump?

PCGuy7
Go to solution Solved by Chris_R.,
17 hours ago, PCGuy7 said:

That makes sense. I tried the System Pump, Same 1800 RPM. Would you know what the normal RPM would be for an AIO? 

I wasn't sure so I did some quick research...here is a good post from Tom's Hardware forms:

Unless specified as a variable speed pump (common on fractal design and nzxt Kraken), you should run aio pumps at full 12v. This generally means the pump rpm will be anywhere from @1200rpm to almost 4000rpm depending on the pump, so 1600rpm sounds about right. You should also take note of the wiring, the connector means nothing but placement, depending on the aio, the pump could have 2 wires or 3 wires. It'll run DC analog voltage. Most of the larger or higher end designs use Sata power for the actual pump/fans power needs, directly from the psu, they'll use only the tach/ground wires from the motherboard header, just to read pump rpm and to satisfy motherboard needs for cpu_fan header population. Cheaper/smaller aios will run 3 wire and draw power for the pump from the mobo header. So you will see 4pin connectors, but have only 2-3 wires. None use pwm as that's a switched source, continuously turning the pump on and off. This'll cause sound in the pump as back pressure takes longer to roll around the tubing/radiator than the on/off cycle of the pwm. In bios, whatever header the pump is using (if it's header powered) should have any q-fan or other eco settings disabled and duty cycle set at permanent 100%. Fans, run as you please, but with aio pump flow as characteristically low as it is, full speed is recommended

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3662700/fast-liquid-cpu-cooler-pump-running-cooler-master-masterliquid.html

So it looks like it could be normal to run at that RPM and not be variable but I am no expert...it may be worth while to look and research your specific AIO to see if it is the same way as quoted.

I’ve recently upgraded my PC motherboard to a Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming. I also have the Thermaltake Floe Riing 240 RGB TT Premium Edition. I have two CPU fan headers on my motherboard, CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. There are also other headers like, SYSTEM_PUMP6. I’m not sure which one to plug into. Right now I am on the CPUOPT on Full Speed. The pump is running 1800 RPM. I’m not sure what RPM is normal for AIO coolers or which header to plug into. 

Thanks to any responses in advance! 

CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Cooler- Thermaltake Floe 240mm AIO Cooler

Motherboard- Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming

RAM- (2x4) 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz DDR4

Storage- SanDisk 250GB SATA SSD

GPU- Gigabyte RX580 8GB

PSU- EVGA 500W 80+

Case- CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 RGB

It depends on the motherboard (so be sure to check the manual) but for my Asus board the cpu_opt runs at the same speed as the CPU_Fan. It's just a clone port. Downside is you can't control the pump or fans Independent in that situation, it would be setting say the fan speed in the software, and the pump would always be set to the same 'speed' ...Does that make any sense?

You might try the SYSTEM_PUMP6 just to try it out

Thanks!

Chris R.

3 hours ago, Chris_R. said:

It depends on the motherboard (so be sure to check the manual) but for my Asus board the cpu_opt runs at the same speed as the CPU_Fan. It's just a clone port. Downside is you can't control the pump or fans Independent in that situation, it would be setting say the fan speed in the software, and the pump would always be set to the same 'speed' ...Does that make any sense?

You might try the SYSTEM_PUMP6 just to try it out

That makes sense. I tried the System Pump, Same 1800 RPM. Would you know what the normal RPM would be for an AIO? 

CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU- Gigabyte RX580 8GB

PSU- EVGA 500W 80+

17 hours ago, PCGuy7 said:

I wasn't sure so I did some quick research...here is a good post from Tom's Hardware forms:

Unless specified as a variable speed pump (common on fractal design and nzxt Kraken), you should run aio pumps at full 12v. This generally means the pump rpm will be anywhere from @1200rpm to almost 4000rpm depending on the pump, so 1600rpm sounds about right. You should also take note of the wiring, the connector means nothing but placement, depending on the aio, the pump could have 2 wires or 3 wires. It'll run DC analog voltage. Most of the larger or higher end designs use Sata power for the actual pump/fans power needs, directly from the psu, they'll use only the tach/ground wires from the motherboard header, just to read pump rpm and to satisfy motherboard needs for cpu_fan header population. Cheaper/smaller aios will run 3 wire and draw power for the pump from the mobo header. So you will see 4pin connectors, but have only 2-3 wires. None use pwm as that's a switched source, continuously turning the pump on and off. This'll cause sound in the pump as back pressure takes longer to roll around the tubing/radiator than the on/off cycle of the pwm. In bios, whatever header the pump is using (if it's header powered) should have any q-fan or other eco settings disabled and duty cycle set at permanent 100%. Fans, run as you please, but with aio pump flow as characteristically low as it is, full speed is recommended

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3662700/fast-liquid-cpu-cooler-pump-running-cooler-master-masterliquid.html

So it looks like it could be normal to run at that RPM and not be variable but I am no expert...it may be worth while to look and research your specific AIO to see if it is the same way as quoted.

Thanks!

Chris R.

Ok! Thanks for doing research! I did some of my self and other people have had my same AIO at 1800 RPM. 

Thanks again for your responses!  

CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU- Gigabyte RX580 8GB

PSU- EVGA 500W 80+