Tool Thread!

Lord Mirdalan
3 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Yes oops... my brain is fried from work and it's nearly weekend... Is it beer o'clock yet?

It's beer o'clock somewhere in the world at all times.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

14 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Frankly, I don't give the north end of a southbound furry rodent what you think of me. I lost all respect for you a long time ago.

I don’t know either one of you but damn I love that line lol

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I've got 2 200s, a 4200, and an 8220 that all have lasted more than 3-4 large FRP jobs. FRP consistantly kills routers after 1-2 small jobs.

The old tools may have lasted marginally longer, but at the cost of either performance, portability, or battery life.

A bad line =/= crap tools.

According to who exactly?

I have a love hate relationship with the 4200, the quick change part is nice when you are polishing small parts and keep changing bits, but it also likes to shoot bits into a low earth orbit. FRP is hard on bits, but quite easy on the tools themselves. I could see the dust tearing up the bearings in a router and the Dremel handling it better because their bearings are up in the casing. I'm not sure what model this was from, but here is the motor and spindle assembly off one of the 8/12V Dremels that I killed in a few months. Friction fit to the spindle, no thrust bearing, one point of contact for retaining the spindle, and the terminals just slid into a plastic block, no solder or crimps.

IMG_20190131_211715.jpg.7682583b57e361d79a5800b9e16670ed.jpg

I should have clarified, the new battery tools are much better than the old ones because of battery technology over the years (to a point, my gen 1 Fuels have better build quality than the gen 3's my brother just bought IMO). But as far as comparing corded tools like a worm gear saw from 30 years ago to one today, the only advantage to newer tools is lighter weight. Its a nice advantage in some cases, but for the most part its due to most metal being replaced with plastic so less heat sinking you can do, and the faster the tool burns up when ridden hard. This is fine for the average guy working on his house, but if you are sheeting houses all day long its not going to last.

I mean, there were pry 100 different tools in a 10 year period where they were almost all crap, that is not just a bad batch... I'll let a company slip up a few times and can chalk it up to bad luck, but that was horrible. Funny enough, I believe that was actually prior to TTI when they were still made in the USA. If anything, that fiasco sunk Milwaukee and is the reason they had to sell out to a Chinese company and all that is left is the name.

According to Dremel they are for Makers, aka Hobbiest. Any amount of production work, and you're going to buy an actual die grinder. (You'll probably still have a Dremel in the shop tho ?)

image.png.47989204a73316f31891f18521ee8585.png

1 minute ago, Scheer said:

FRP is hard on bits, but quite easy on the tools themselves

FRP is the most tool abusive job I do. It's not easy on tools.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm definitely biased toward nice hand tools. Power tools are useful but for whatever reason just don't inspire the same enthusiasm in me.

I don't have a particularly large collection so far. In terms of non-screwdriver stuff, I carry around a set of Knipex Cobras, some Irwin Vise Grips, a Fenix PD35 flashlight, a nice knife, and an iFixit toolkit (the new-but-not-newest black one, before they gave the bits long necks). The vise grips were actually the first tool I bought with my own money, now that I think about it. I've been eyeing some Stahlwille locking pliers because if there's one thing to take away from my taste in headphones, pencils, pens, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, and sausage, it's that I generally like German things... But the Irwins are just too stubborn to give me a reason to replace them. I saw a bunch of talk about how Vise Grips are all cheap Chinese crap now, but I get the feeling most of the people saying that haven't used the tools they're complaining about.

Now, I have a weird thing about multi-bit screwdrivers. Maybe it's because I was the kid who carried around a toy sonic screwdriver everywhere he went, maybe it's just because I've used them so much... But I have:

-The much-discussed Snap-On 8-3/4" Standard Ratcheting Screwdriver in black, which lives in my EDC bag.

-A Wera Kraftform Kompakt 25, which lives in my front-most left pocket (yes, most of the things I carry are assigned to specific pockets).

-The original iFixit 56-bit driver kit, of which the driver handle lives in my EDC bag next to the newer iFixit tool kit and most of the bits are in orange pill bottles.

-The newer 64-bit kit, which lives in its tool roll in my bag. I'm glad I have the previous version of it, because when they gave the bits longer necks they also changed the driver handle to one that looks like they simplified the geometry then hastily machined three random flats on the grip, looked at the mess that made on the knurling, and said "good enough." Grr.

-The iFixit Manta Driver Kit, which lives at my desk.

-The Elemen'tary Design No. 1 screwdriver, which lives in my computer tool bag. Slightly pretentious brand, but it's actually a really nice screwdriver.

-Several of those yellow/orange handled 6-in-1 drivers it seems everyone and their dog is at least vaguely familiar with, which never have any actual branding on them but refuse to die no matter what you do to them. Those are scattered about the house.

I've been eyeing the Volcanic Tool High-Torque Bit Driver for ages now (the current 'out of stock' thing is worrying me slightly), and I've been one button away from pulling the trigger on a PB Swiss Insider 3 many times (I've accepted that I will own that tool at some point, just a matter of when).

I've been trying to piece together a shopping list to replace all of the bits in the Manta kit (started out looking at just the 64-bit kit) with bits from Wiha, Wera, Apex, PB, Snap-On (Zephyr?), perhaps Witte, or whoever else happens to have the right esoteric bit to complete the set... Still haven't actually managed it. Just reinforces why I like the iFixit sets -Their bits definitely aren't the highest quality (several of them look like they just slashed chunks off a piece of cheap hex rod stock and called it a day, which is probably exactly what happened), but in terms of sheer variety they put absolutely everyone to shame. I give them a lot of credit for putting together such complete sets, and the prices are pretty reasonable. Driver handles are pretty nice too, the recent design revision notwithstanding -The driver from my 64-bit kit is the best 4mm bit holder I've used.

10 hours ago, captain_aggravated said:

-snip-

On an individual tool level, Snap-On's pretty great. The economics of populating an entire garage with Snap-On gear scares me, but I'd generally be willing to pay more for a Snap-On tool than most other brands. I don't know what your use case is exactly, but I'd encourage you to at least get a couple of their tools to give 'em a shot.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

4 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

On an individual tool level, Snap-On's pretty great. The economics of populating an entire garage with Snap-On gear scares me, but I'd generally be willing to pay more for a Snap-On tool than most other brands. I don't know what your use case is exactly, but I'd encourage you to at least get a couple of their tools to give 'em a shot.

With the truck brands, a lot of it is if I like the local driver. I've had to deal with two snap on guys. Both of them were really good with warranty, then again I rarely break stuff aside from the occasional screwdriver blade and impact driver bit... and once a ratchet. Matco I've had nothing but issues with the driver and its got to the point where if I break a matco tool I just toss it and replace it with snap on.

A while back the Matco guy was trying to get me in a tool box. I had wanted one, and we had one customized and picked out, pre-approved... pretty much ready to order. I also just had spent 600 dollars on batteries, and cordless tools that week. I dropped the 3/8s ratchet off a car and onto the ground. Cracked the battery case. Was told he couldn't warranty a battery for physical damage and "just silicone the crack". 

Week later I had a snap on tool box, and now I have all snap on electric ratchets. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

6 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I've had really good luck finding Snap-On tools at local farm auctions. My best find was a near complete screwdriver set of the old handles for $20, only missing the 4" P1. They are my favorite handle type by far, I really want a few ratchets with that style handle, but its hard to justify $100+ for a ratchet I already have just for a different handle haha.

image.jpeg.187cfc5639dd53722a692e48024d1232.jpeg

Four years ago I got a set with the new handles, and I've already turned the over-molding into gum on two of them, it smells really bad too...

1 minute ago, Scheer said:

I've had really good luck finding Snap-On tools at local farm auctions. My best find was a near complete screwdriver set of the old handles for $20, only missing the 4" P1. They are my favorite handle type by far, I really want a few ratchets with that style handle, but its hard to justify $100+ for a ratchet I already have just for a different handle haha.

image.jpeg.187cfc5639dd53722a692e48024d1232.jpeg

Four years ago I got a set with the new handles, and I've already turned the over-molding into gum on two of them, it smells really bad too...

I forgot that the new rubberized Snap-On tools tended to putrefy.

I've had these for a couple of weeks or so but I finally got around to digging out the bag today so I could put them away. I was at Ace Hardware to pick up a few screws and saw these on sale ($9.95/pr, normally around $30) and couldn't resist (I never pass up discounted clamps; a girl just can't have too many clamps).

IMG_0121.thumb.JPG.b0504f7a8a801a6c00edf16e665096f4.JPG

I had to cut them loose from the cards (they were zip tied together) and spread out the blob of thick oil on the bar so I could clamp them to a piece of scrap plywood.

IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.a54b1ee2ffe571448f73049d22eee135.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.157b2002dbd0d21dda8a0321cc597b6b.JPG

I wish they had had more of them but I suspect that was a closeout price.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

(I never pass up discounted clamps; a girl just can't have too many clamps).

Love me some Irwin clamps! Nice find and I completely agree you can never have too many clamps.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 hours ago, Scheer said:

...I've had really good luck finding Snap-On tools at local farm auctions...

My first tools after I left home (other than ones my Daddy had given me) were pawnshop finds. I kept my eyes open for broken Craftsman tools that I could get for practically nothing, then take them to Sears to exchange them for new ones (this was back in the late '60s, early '70s).

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Love me some Irwin clamps! Nice find and I completely agree you can never have too many clamps.

Irwin has proven to be of surprisingly good quality, especially for the price.

Jeannie

With Snap On it’s all about the truck driver for me. At my last two shops I didn’t like the guy at all so I bought very few things (couple hundred bucks a year at most), then at this new shop the guy is awesome, I think I spent about 12k with him in the last 18 months

On 1/31/2019 at 10:00 AM, SansVarnic said:

@Lord Mirdalan I adjusted you title from Tools thread? to Tool Thread!. Much better fit.

As for myself I own so many Electronics tools, Automotive tools and Carpenters tools... that I could not list them all unless I used up a page or two here to make it happen. I think I have close to .... 10-12k USD in tools...I think.

I agree... Tools with authoritah!

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

On 1/31/2019 at 1:38 PM, captain_aggravated said:

Name me a brand that hasn't been crap for several decades.

Milwaukee.

Miller.

Lincoln.

That's three. 

:)

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

55 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

With Snap On it’s all about the truck driver for me. At my last two shops I didn’t like the guy at all so I bought very few things (couple hundred bucks a year at most), then at this new shop the guy is awesome, I think I spent about 12k with him in the last 18 months

There aren't enough people buying to keep a MAC, Matco, and Snap-On guy in business around here, so usually only one or two of them have a saleman around here at a given time. The current Snap-On guy is a PITA, he ruined his credit with Snap-On so getting warranty work takes forever as he has very little in stock. He can only do it after a big sale when he has the capital... 

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

My first tools after I left home (other than ones my Daddy had given me) were pawnshop finds. I kept my eyes open for broken Craftsman tools that I could get for practically nothing, then take them to Sears to exchange them for new ones (this was back in the late '60s, early '70s).

Just ran into something similar a few months ago, my brother just found a pair of Snap-On curved needle nose pliers in the trash at work with one of the tips busted off waiting for the above Snap-On guy to get them replaced and I get them. I think the mindset from how often you replace electronics is bleeding into other things, I just find it odd with tools as someone who uses Snap-On tools probably fixes things all day long and would be able to think, "Hey, I bet these can be fixed". (No so much with the pliers, but I've come across thrown away Snap-On screwdrivers with busted tips that can be quickly repaired.) Reminds me of this:

Repair or Replace

On 1/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Tim the Toolman Taylor

Loved that show.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Loved that show.

What about the spiritual successor? Last Man Standing?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

What about the spiritual successor? Last Man Standing?

Big fan. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:00 PM, SansVarnic said:

@Lord Mirdalan I adjusted you title from Tools thread? to Tool Thread!. Much better fit.

As for myself I own so many Electronics tools, Automotive tools and Carpenters tools... that I could not list them all unless I used up a page or two here to make it happen. I think I have close to .... 10-12k USD in tools...I think.

Came here expecting talk about the new album after you dropped the "s". 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Loved that show.

So did I. I never was a fan of Last Man Standing, though. It just never felt right for me.

Jeannie

I was driving by Ace Hardware on my way home from lunch today and wondered if they might have anymore clamps on sale so, on a whim, I pulled in to check them out.  I found seven of these 12" wonders for $9.99 instead of $22.99.

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.fc168d599e1374571abc19cfa8c33203.JPG

IMG_0010.thumb.JPG.566b259f1c45ef61cbd8f372b141f6dc.JPG

These, besides being 12", are better than the 6" I got before because the fixed jaw has a swivel pad and that jaw can be reversed and moved to the other end of the bar to make the clamp into a spreader.

IMG_0006.JPG

Methinks I'll be dropping in on Ace Hardware fairly frequently for a while, whether I need to or not. Again, a girl can't have too many clamps, especially at these prices.

Jeannie

Here's a different set of tools for you. This is a small  electronics/rf test setup I've been putting together for awhile

LRM_EXPORT_117369092489809_20190206_203622013.jpeg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

25 minutes ago, bob345 said:

Here's a different set of tools for you. This is a small  electronics/rf test setup I've been putting together for awhile

LRM_EXPORT_117369092489809_20190206_203622013.jpeg

:x

Jeannie

• 2 weeks later...

/update bump

Aforementioned Milwaukee m12 rotary tool went tits up today. Its stuck on mid speed, on off switch does nothing, slight burning smell after running it a few seconds, have to unplug battery to get it to turn off. 

Time to see how their warranty process is, given I've only used it 3 times. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra