Help me get an LTE router to work as a modem..

Rosss

hey guys, so I can't seem to figure out how to get my MR1100 Nighthawk LTE AT&T Router to work as a modem.. It actually may be impossible. (i've done google searches and many have problems and say Netgear has never resolved some issues, but also I don't fully understand how it all works). For example, if I want to be able to port forward, do I actually need a static ip issued sim card? Or should I be able to do it even though the ip changes on LTE?

Anyways, here are my settings.. I'm just gonna leave them all to be thorough. I once had them talking to the point where I could be connected to the router and get to both admin pages via their gateways (after changing dns weirdly which was probably a coincidence and stopped working), but I didn't have any internet connectivity still.. Tethering the Lan port into my laptop's lan port works pretty flawless, but when I try to connect it to the WAN of any router I can't seem to use it as a modem (access point works).

There probably aren't many different options that could be done on the router side, I've tried automatic config dhcp and static ip, and all the other options my Linksys EA6900AC Router

image.png.da67210e9cb3e8ef6aee66b89e0c2ae3.png

image.png.0b81768fcc063b91efb0feb9951d277e.png

image.png.dd10ed9021edca161060c8988d8a3e9d.png

Is AT&T perhaps using a setting to try to prevent using it this way and they're requiring you use their wifi and router ports?  The fact that you can plug a laptop and get valid DHCP but cannot plug into 2nd router WAN port tells me that may be the case.  The only other setting to try to get a WAN port working would be if the device allows changing the MTU setting (1500 default?).

May have to contact the support from the ISP to ask if they'll allow it.

3 hours ago, Rosss said:

do I actually need a static ip issued sim card?

Maybe. I know for a fact T Mobile uses carrier grade NAT, AT&T might do the same on their wireless network. If thats the case you might not be able to port forward unless you can get an actual public IP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Is AT&T perhaps using a setting to try to prevent using it this way and they're requiring you use their wifi and router ports?  The fact that you can plug a laptop and get valid DHCP but cannot plug into 2nd router WAN port tells me that may be the case.  The only other setting to try to get a WAN port working would be if the device allows changing the MTU setting (1500 default?).

May have to contact the support from the ISP to ask if they'll allow it.

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Maybe. I know for a fact T Mobile uses carrier grade NAT, AT&T might do the same on their wireless network. If thats the case you might not be able to port forward unless you can get an actual public IP. 

So is it possible to port forward on a virtual router?  Like if I use my laptop as a hotspot while using the valid DHCP i'm getting from the LTE?

Maybe a silly Question but do the LTE router and other router share the same subnet because that doesn't look right with a mask 255.255.255.255 would give 0 addresses?

I have a very similar setup with an MR1100(Telstra) to a Ubiquiti ERLite‑3 as a backup.

4 hours ago, Rosss said:

So is it possible to port forward on a virtual router?  Like if I use my laptop as a hotspot while using the valid DHCP i'm getting from the LTE?

If they are using carrier grade NAT you are fucked, until you get a public IP to your modem. OR until you convince AT&T to port forward on their end, which they most likely wont do. 

25 minutes ago, Rhyst9 said:

Maybe a silly Question but do the LTE router and other router share the same subnet because that doesn't look right with a mask 255.255.255.255 would give 0 addresses?

I have a very similar setup with an MR1100(Telstra) to a Ubiquiti ERLite‑3 as a backup.

I think that's just the default on mine; but i've tried everything under the sun with subnets and gateways etc. I'm 99.9% sure it's a NAT problem

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If they are using carrier grade NAT you are fucked, until you get a public IP to your modem. OR until you convince AT&T to port forward on their end, which they most likely wont do. 

Well I may try to contact AT&T then.. They only give out public ip's if you pay like $500 and are business i'm guessing?

I'll try to argue that the whole router itself is false advertising I guess. Maybe they'll just blame netgear but maybe I can convince them to just let me have this apn thing because it will justify my purchase at little cost to them lol

5 minutes ago, Rosss said:

I'll try to argue that the whole router itself is false advertising

Are you able to connect to the internet via multiple devices? If yes, then its not false advertising. No where does it say they have to allow port forwarding. Also its not AT&T's fault that the world ran out of IPv4 addresses. You can verify they are using carrier grade NAT by looking at your WAN IP address in the modem. If it looks like a private IP then they are, if not then your in luck. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Are you able to connect to the internet via multiple devices? If yes, then its not false advertising. No where does it say they have to allow port forwarding. Also its not AT&T's fault that the world ran out of IPv4 addresses. You can verify they are using carrier grade NAT by looking at your WAN IP address in the modem. If it looks like a private IP then they are, if not then your in luck. 

of course you are right, but i'm just saying what i'll try to argue. I mean it's AT&T after all.. Even if I was 100% right it's going to take a lot to get it resolved.. Either way I still feel it's deceptive to advertise port forwarding on the router and not mention anywhere about the strict ass NAT and or requirements to get it working. (being a business and paying up)..

The WAN ip is a private IP. But my ip browsing the internet is the same thing as i'd get if i'd tether with my phone, which is a public IP..

Is there by any chance a VPN method of bypassing NATs?

23 hours ago, Rosss said:

I think that's just the default on mine; but i've tried everything under the sun with subnets and gateways etc. I'm 99.9% sure it's a NAT problem

Well I may try to contact AT&T then.. They only give out public ip's if you pay like $500 and are business i'm guessing?

I'll try to argue that the whole router itself is false advertising I guess. Maybe they'll just blame netgear but maybe I can convince them to just let me have this apn thing because it will justify my purchase at little cost to them lol

All i'm saying is your Subnet mask can't be 255.255.255.255 on the Gateway IP. What is the WAN IP of the device?

Can you share the exact setting of each router?

On 1/27/2019 at 12:03 PM, Rosss said:

hey guys, so I can't seem to figure out how to get my MR1100 Nighthawk LTE AT&T Router to work as a modem.. It actually may be impossible. (i've done google searches and many have problems and say Netgear has never resolved some issues, but also I don't fully understand how it all works). For example, if I want to be able to port forward, do I actually need a static ip issued sim card? Or should I be able to do it even though the ip changes on LTE?

Anyways, here are my settings.. I'm just gonna leave them all to be thorough. I once had them talking to the point where I could be connected to the router and get to both admin pages via their gateways (after changing dns weirdly which was probably a coincidence and stopped working), but I didn't have any internet connectivity still.. Tethering the Lan port into my laptop's lan port works pretty flawless, but when I try to connect it to the WAN of any router I can't seem to use it as a modem (access point works).

There probably aren't many different options that could be done on the router side, I've tried automatic config dhcp and static ip, and all the other options my Linksys EA6900AC Router

image.png.da67210e9cb3e8ef6aee66b89e0c2ae3.png

image.png.0b81768fcc063b91efb0feb9951d277e.png

image.png.dd10ed9021edca161060c8988d8a3e9d.png

try changing the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and on your router change the dhcp range to something other than 192.168.0.0/24 then DMZ your other routers ip on the hotspot