[Mystery solved] Color bending, artifacting in HDR when FreeSync is enabled

[Now I at least know why it happens, see my newest post]

My brand new HP Pavilion Gaming 32 HDR monitor has 2 options of HDR: "VESA HDR 600" (and "HDR Video" which looks exactly the same) and "HDR Gaming - FreeSync". First one looks beautiful, exactly as it should, but doesn't allow Freesync. The second one has really bizarre artifacts. The darks go pretty dark and then completely dark. Also there are a lot of color artifacts. And the image is different too, brighter overall.

I tried messing with Nvidia Controller Panel color settings, but nothing helps. My only clue is that even though there is a 10 bit color option, I can't apply it. I click apply, but immediately reverts to 8 bit color. Shouldn't HDR be 10 bit? Maybe that's the problem.

Oh, and I am using an Nvidia GPU. I don't know if that's the root cause oimageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8f the problem, I know a person with an AMD GPU nearby, but this monitor is so big and heavy I will delay bringing it to him as much as possible.

HDR Gaming - Freesync modeFreeSync_ON.thumb.JPG.23958f993741e0635f6cefce42a54a8c.JPGHDR 600 modeFreeSync_OFF.thumb.JPG.0aa874662908335ebec2182c49c1bc7e.JPG

My silent evaporation cooler - Silent Not_a_bong_cooling 

Laing DDC-1T

i5-7600K and MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk (EK Waterblocks)

Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming 7, 2x 8GB Crucial 2666MHz

Kingston V300 60GB, Toshiba 1TB, Samsung HD403LJ, Toshiba MK2035GSS
Fortron Raider 750 (only one that can handle voltage drops in my house)
Creative Sound Core 3d + 5.1 Home Theater

#PCMustardRace

A) many HDR panels are only 8 bit, and not a true 10 bit. B) Freesync on Nvidia cards can be shaky if you're not using one of the "approved" monitors on there list. It is supported on all, but your experience may vary and suffer potentially. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

The problem exists even when "GSync" is disabled. My monitor itself has different modes, and with the only FreeSync one HDR is broken. Enabling or disabling FreeSync in GPUsttings doesn't change a thing. So problem persists even when GSync is disabled, monitor says FreeSync is disabled, but is in "HDR Gaming - FreeSync" mode.

More pictures, this is how it looks in person, not just artifacts from my camera.DSC_0197.thumb.JPG.329916a9b228e3ce9c8a104812e17d3f.JPGDSC_0200.thumb.JPG.00072c8b0351e30eeb02c522690cd0a7.JPG

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

But instead of changing the mode, can you keep it in "hdr video", but just go into the advanced menu and enable freesync separately?

Or is that not supported on your monitor?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

No, GSync (FreeSync) option only comes up in Nvidia Control Panel when that problematic "HDR Gaming - FreeSync" mode is chosen in the monitor settings, in "VESA HDR 600" and "HDR Video" it just isn't there.

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

My idea was to somehow force FreeSync in the modes where colors work properly (that VESA HDR) using CRU. The problem is, that the monitor is identified the same way in any of the modes and shows a FreeSync range even when there is no option in Nvidia Controll Panel. 

Does anybody know Custom Resolution Utility enough that can tell me how or even if it is possible?

image.png.2161cfe123e56c5fc487d12be5e74f62.png

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out! This is a very interesting behaviour for lower end HDR monitors and it might help others with troubleshooting.
Local dimming is disabled in “HDR gaming - FreeSync” mode! It adjusts backlight backlight in zones, so it greatly improves contrast for HDR and is necessary for HDR 600 standart this monitor is certified for. So basicially with FreeSync enabled our monitor becomes HDR 400 instead of HDR 600. If it notified the system and GPU about that, it would just displayed a bit worse image. But it doesn’t, so it has to squish higher dynamic range to a smaller one, as without local dimming it can’t get parts of the monitor as bright and as dark. This is why there are artifacts, washed out colours and loss of dark details.

So this is not a problem with my monitor, but a design decision, as it probably would be way harder for the monitor to both controll the backlight so precisely and adapt the refresh rate. So I get why HP did that.

But anyways, this is not what I paid for! In the description this was VESA HDR 600 certified and FreeSync monitor. And I can get either that HDR range in “VESA HDR 600” mode, or FreeSync working and broken and lower pec HDR in “HDR Gaming - FreeSync” mode. I would be completely fine with that, if it was stated anywhere in the description.
I am going to keep this monitor, because the colours and contrast are amazing, and it is way cheaper in Poland than any other HDR monitor, but I already contacted HP to fix the description, and the shop for partial refund. I will see what comes out of this.

Laing DDC-1T

#PCMustardRace