why does the LTT forum have Google and Amazon trackers on it?

Ashley MLP Fangirl
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

The Amazon tracker is, as other have noted, for the Amazon ads. It is only included when an Amazon ad is displayed on the page (this means it's not included for Bronze/Silver/Gold contributors, who get no ads).

The Google tracker is Google Analytics, and is used to monitor how the site is being used, to give a quantitative basis for future improvements.

13 minutes ago, This_guy1998 said:

Also to point out, I am a 2nd year IT major and so far from what I have learned so far about the web is that there is alot of things you can do with user data in order to make a site better and/or make money off of it. Without it every website online would charge you to just look at their site (web hosting isn't free). I pay $10 USD/month for my website plus around another $30-35 USD/year for my domain and the SSL certificate. I could host it myself but an internet connection with a static public IP address is more expensive (plus I would have to maintain the hardware).

For what it's worth, per our Privacy Policy, we don't sell, trade or rent any of your data to third parties. Information that we gather is only used internally, for monitoring how the site is used and making it better.

Amazon does collect some data, as governed by their Privacy Policy, and Amazon ads do help to offset the substantial costs of running the forum.

why does the LTT forum have Google and Amazon trackers on it? why is that needed? the forum is run by LMG who have their own sponsors. why put trackers on the forum?

Knipsel.PNG.802c20f8a953e7a33181aec1bc345294.PNG

She/Her

You are asking why does the forum have Google Analytics on it?

Have you seen what google analytics can do?

It is pretty damn cool, so i would have it on my website too.

But yeah amazon is quite a bit weirder.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I don't actually know but I'm guessing it's the Amazon Ad at the very bottom of the page.

That makes sense. Amazon AD has an amazon tracker, so it can see who clicked on it from this forum.

47 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I don't actually know but I'm guessing it's the Amazon Ad at the very bottom of the page.

EDIT: yeah probably, but like why though? i thought LMG had their own sponsors etc.. why amazon? 

49 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You are asking why does the forum have Google Analytics on it?

Have you seen what google analytics can do?

It is pretty damn cool, so i would have it on my website too.

the google one doesn't bother me as much. it's easy to block and get rid of, and i can understand the use. the amazon one is unacceptable IMO. 

46 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That makes sense. Amazon AD has an amazon tracker, so it can see who clicked on it from this forum.

do they need a tracker for that though? doesn't that work like the affiliate links? 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

do they need a tracker for that though? doesn't that work like the affiliate links? 

Idk. If you look at it closer, it is amazon adsystem, so it must have something to do with the ad. The other one is amazon images, which is for the ad picture itself.

amazon-adsystem.com
   aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com
   fls-na.amazon-adsystem.com
   ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com
   z-na.amazon-adsystem.com

ssl-images-amazon.com
   images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

If you look closer at the ad, then the href for the ad itself is the amazon-adsystem, which would explain why it is detected as a tracker. My guess is that if you don't click on the ad, then you wont be tracked by amazon.

image.png.c5f6f177f1ab251b097b3a508f138a94.png

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

amazon one is unacceptable IMO

Agreed. Glad my VPN blocks them automatically 

On 1/26/2019 at 2:34 PM, firelighter487 said:

EDIT: yeah probably, but like why though? i thought LMG had their own sponsors etc.. why amazon? 

the google one doesn't bother me as much. it's easy to block and get rid of, and i can understand the use. the amazon one is unacceptable IMO. 

It's @LinusTech site, he and his team can do what they want. I personally have the Google tracker on my personal WordPress site. The Amazon is probably for ad revenue and affiliate links.  TBH, I don't see why people get butt-hurt about these having trackers. If you don't like a particular site having info then run it in a container (Firefox has this feature) and call it good. I only do that for Facebook, because I know Amazon and Google both have their own cloud services so they know a thing or two about user data and how to keep it secure (that's why Google+ us shutting down because of a bug).

Also to point out, I am a 2nd year IT major and so far from what I have learned so far about the web is that there is alot of things you can do with user data in order to make a site better and/or make money off of it. Without it every website online would charge you to just look at their site (web hosting isn't free). I pay $10 USD/month for my website plus around another $30-35 USD/year for my domain and the SSL certificate. I could host it myself but an internet connection with a static public IP address is more expensive (plus I would have to maintain the hardware) (the LAMP Stack is free to use in most cases).

I'm also pointing out I own an Alexa and it can listen in (and see) on me in exchange for a handsfree assistant. My mom has both Alexas and Google and when I visit I use them too. I honestly don't care if they have my info in exchange to make my life easier.

Edited by This_guy1998
added info

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

The Amazon tracker is, as other have noted, for the Amazon ads. It is only included when an Amazon ad is displayed on the page (this means it's not included for Bronze/Silver/Gold contributors, who get no ads).

The Google tracker is Google Analytics, and is used to monitor how the site is being used, to give a quantitative basis for future improvements.

13 minutes ago, This_guy1998 said:

Also to point out, I am a 2nd year IT major and so far from what I have learned so far about the web is that there is alot of things you can do with user data in order to make a site better and/or make money off of it. Without it every website online would charge you to just look at their site (web hosting isn't free). I pay $10 USD/month for my website plus around another $30-35 USD/year for my domain and the SSL certificate. I could host it myself but an internet connection with a static public IP address is more expensive (plus I would have to maintain the hardware).

For what it's worth, per our Privacy Policy, we don't sell, trade or rent any of your data to third parties. Information that we gather is only used internally, for monitoring how the site is used and making it better.

Amazon does collect some data, as governed by their Privacy Policy, and Amazon ads do help to offset the substantial costs of running the forum.

HTTP/2 203

20 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I figured as such. I personally don't read Privacy Policy's for the most part (there are some exceptions) and I figured that you guys use the tracking data internally. Even with my website (It's mostly a personal blog where I write long posts and where I can share projects I've done (It's a Linux server with cPanel, so I have flexibility)) I used the standard Privacy Policy from Wordpress (plus a few changes) and called it a day.

Honestly, I pointed that out to the OP just so they can realize that even web hosting for a small website that is somewhat decent isn't cheap. I remember how Linus has said before about the Forum funds itself it makes sense there are Amazon ads on here. If people are concerned about privacy in general then maybe they should move to a place like the EU or not get on the internet. Richard Stallman (founded GNU) goes through great lengths to protect his privacy and it seems like a hassle. You give some freedoms up for exchange for others. 

Personal Rig:

CPU: i7-11700K  | Mobo: MSI Z490-A PRO | RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB = 16 GB  | GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix (I know I need to upgrade) | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Red 2 TB, and WD Red 4 TB | Case: Enermax Ostrog Black and White | PSU: EVGA 750GT 80+G | Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S in Push/Pull with Black Noctua Industrial Fans, 2 120mm Noctua Chromax Fans, and Corsair AF120 on the side panel | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 32" Samsung (of somesorts) 1920 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Mouse: Logitech M705 | Keyboard: Logitech K350 | Random: 90mm of CableMod RGB Magnetic Strips | OS: Win 11 Education x64 

32" Samsung CF397 1920 x 1080

Linux/test Box:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  | Mobo: ASRock AB350M mATX | RAM: 2x Crucial 8 GB DDR4 = 16 GB | GPU: Asus GT 1030 | Storage: Sandisk SSD Plus 120 GB, Samsung 970 Evo 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate IronWolf NAS Drives  | Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX | PSU: EVGA 400W | Cooling: Stock Cooler and 3x Cooler Master 120mm Fans | Display: 22" Asus VE228 1920 x 1080 and a 34" LG 43WL500-B 2560 x 1080 on a WALI Arm (I share displays/desk with two builds) | Keyboard: Logitech K270 | Mouse: Logitech M185  | OS: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10 Pro x64

13" Macbook Air M1:

CPU: Apple M1 8-Core and 7-Core "GPU"  | RAM: 8 GB DDR4  | Storage: 256 GB | Display: 2560 x1600 Retina Display | Mouse: Built-in trackpad and Logitech M557 | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: MacOS Monterey

Laptop (Acer Pedator Helios 300 2017 edition) (Don't use as much anymore since graduating college and mostly using my Macbook and HP Elitebook for Work):

CPU: i7-7700HQ  | RAM: 16 GB DDR4  | GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB | Storage: Samsung 980 500 GB SSD and Seagate 1 TB Firecuda | Display: Acer IPS 15.6" 1920 x 1080 Display | Mouse: Logitech M557 and built-in trackpad (never use lol) | Keyboard: built-in keyboard and Logitech K480 | OS: Windows 11 Pro x64

Home Theater Setup

Computer: M1 Mac Mini w/8GB RAM and 256 of Storage (plus a external 500GB Samsung T7 for Plex) | TV:LG 4K - 55" UQ9000 LED | Speakers: Sonos Ray and 2 Sonos One SLs for Rear Surround | Media Box: Apple TV 4K | Consoles: Xbox Series S and Nintendo Switch | Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech K400 | HDHomerun Flex 4K and HDHomerun Flex Duo

Other Devices I use:

Phone: iPhone 13 Mini 128GB  | Tablet: iPad Mini 5 64GB LTE | Earbuds: Airpods 3 | Watch: Apple Watch SE 44mm

For anyone too scared about this stuff, you can disable third party cookies in your browser so not google nor amazon nor anyone else can track you on different sites than the one you're on without getting that info from the host itself.

In chrome: settings -> advanced -> privacy and security -> content settings -> cookies -> pick what you like, none, all, no third party and even if you want to delete them when you close the browser or not.

In ff: options -> privacy and security -> choose what to block -> for cookies you can even specify to only block trackers.

Think in solutions, not problems :)

while (alive == true) { breathe(); }