Using a laptop as display+speakers+keyboard for a pc

Vardas

Greetings! I'm building an amd-based sub $1k workstation mini-itx pc in extra small case, and I wonder if I could use some cheap laptop as a display, speakers and keyboard (and maybe even a touchpad)?

The reason I'm going with a pc instead of a good laptop is that the laptop of similar specs would cost around $300 more and have very limited upgade-ability.

I know that simply connecting them both together with an hdmi won't work, but perhaps there are some hardware/software solutions that might help? Preferably the ones that will help to connect a pc after it launches the OS, automatically on startup, in case of no spare display to use. I don't mind to tweak the insides of a laptop if needed as well.

I have to travel once a month, and feel like I could save quite a lot of space by carrying a laptop instead of the usual set of peripherals, and even have a display with me at all times. If you have other suggestions or have the experience of traveling with a pc, I'd appreciate if you share it too.

Welp, perhaps I have overthought this and the solution was in front of me the entire time. I can simply use team viewer or even a built in windows 10 remote desktop feature while connecting both pc and laptop via lan cable.

Although I'm a little concerned about the delay. I tested both mentioned solutions in android phone to pc scenario via wifi and got more than enough connection speed to work comfortably in work applications, but wonder if the lan cable will provide even less delay to be able to play games sometimes? I see on the internet people talk about sub 1ms delay with lan cable, but isn't that just about transferring files, or this could also work with data streaming like remote desktop?

Sorry in advance for asking potentially silly questions, new to this topic.

Honestly, just pay the 300 dollar premium and get a decent laptop. You really are making a simple situation way more difficult. At the end of the day by dragging a desktop around and trying to use a cheap laptop and remote desktop function you will have a solution that is janky at best. You will get tired of it not working right and eventually end up buying the laptop anyway.

Unless you are performing a task that absolutely cannot be done on a laptop get a laptop. They are made for travel and will save you hours of troubleshooting and headaches.