The legendary Logitech G5

So I bought a Logitech G5 new almost a decade ago.

Since the past year or more (Can't remember for how long this issue has been present) the DPI - ( - meaning negative) button has been very hard to push. I had to push down REALLY hard to get it to work. And then it would double press most of the time.

The right scroll wheel click wasn't working almost at all.

Here is a guide on opening the mouse up and its various major components that are subject to wear and tear: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/logitech-g5-restoration-and-tweaks.233746/

Now I found a temporary 'fix'. Took me a while to find something that would work.

First I tried using a paper hole puncher and plastic takeaway container. 

I used the hole puncher on the plastic lid. BUT it turned out those punched out pieces were too big to fit ontop of the SMD Tactile Switches (Look at the link above to see what I'm talking about; they are labelled as DPI and Scroll buttons on the diagram and the switches themselves are green in colour).

I also had now way to stick them on as superglue cannot stick these kinds of plastic together.

So then I put on tiny pieces of duck tape. Multiple layers. I think 2-3 layers on the DPI switch and 2-3 on the right scroll wheel switch.

Taking out just one layer of the duck tape made the right scroll click unusable. But the additional single layer is a tiny bit too much as now the left scroll wheel can be easily clicked and is accidentally clicked when using the scroll wheel. That can be pretty devastating.

For example, right now I am typing on here. I scroll down having spent 20 minutes typing this and having to google search for that guide I provided the link for as it's been a while since I looked at that guide.

If I remove that single layer of duck tape, then the remaining duck tape layer/s are not sufficient and the right scroll wheel can no longer be used. 

I then had to go back to the guide and find and check the diagram to see how it had been labelled. 

I also had to open up my mouse while typing this (all screws for the base have been left unscrewed as I plan on replacing the SMD's and without the screws it holds together very well) to check how many layers of duck tape there are.

As you can imagine, hitting the left scroll wheel (which is set to BACK) means losing everything I just typed. 

I think forums should come with a dialog box warning message and should auto save your work when you hit back.

Alrighty. So. I ordered these SMD switches: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/6821263/

They cost £4.70 and come in a strip of 5. 5 for £4.70 (note prices are listed EXCLUDING VAT on their site for a pack). They arrived today in the post. RS components are amazing. Free NEXT DAY delivery no matter how small the order!!

Now I need someone to remove the old ones and install the new ones. I figure its best to remove all 4 of them and replace them all as they may have a different actuation force.

HOWEVER, I inspected the DPI and scroll wheel plastic things that push onto the buttons. Below is a photo taken from that guide, with those plastic things for the  DPI switches circled in RED which I added myself in Paint:1610309081_MouseDPIplastic.thumb.jpg.b7fff487c5101ecadbd0931ba05c3ddf.jpg

As you can see those are the things that get pushed down onto the switches. The scroll wheel has similar little black protruding plastic things. 

Now upon inspection I think the negative DPI switches plastic pushy down thing circled in RED (actually BOTH + and - are circled in RED) in the above image, has worn out a bit. It just seems shorter.

IF getting these switches replaced (which I thankfully have found a mobile phone repair store that will do it for free for me, but still involves me driving 20 miles and paying for parking so now we are going from £4.70 to around £10 for fuel+ parking.... so you can see the costs start to add up fast) otherwise other places wanted to charge me £20-£30 to do it) doesn't fix the issue then it is most certainly due to the plasticy things wearing out.

>> Considering I have no way to measure such tiny things with such little height, how do I know how many millimeters need to be added back to the plasticy things, and WHAT can I add to them and HOW? 

This mouse is pretty legendary it seems. People are selling this mouse NEW for around £270 on ebay and used for a fair amount. I love this mouse. My bro has a G502 and I HATE that mouse. It feels cheap, I keep hitting that reset DPI to a designated DPI setting button (what is the obsession with DPI? I have NEVER used it in game EVER) near the thumb accidentally, the mouse buttons stick to your fingers and lift up a bit making a horrible sound (apparently present on all Logitech's new G series mice) when even a tiny bit of seat builds up on your fingertips, the side mouse buttons are too low, and it just doesn't feel right in the hand. There are probably other things, but I can't remember right now.

I tried Razers Deathadder in a PC store (Currys/PC World) and found the front REALLY REALLY WIDE which meant when I tried using the scroll wheel I kept clicking the left mouse button accidentally. Otherwise it felt good and the side mouse buttons are at the right height from the thumb. Its just that stupidly wide front which destroyed it. 

Anyone else have this issue with this mouse?

Bearing in mind I could not use the mouse at home on a PC on a flat surface while being seated.

Instead the mice on display in the store are available to try on a slanted angled surface which isn't even flat and has like pipes underneath and shit. They are at around stomach height. Obviously you are standing when you try them. They are not connected to any PC and are just on display.

Oh shit. I hit the BACK left scroll wheel by accident just now as I went to scroll down... my blood went cold. I clicked forward (right scroll wheel) and WOW this forum said 'your previous content has been restored). FUCK YES FORUM. THANK YOU.

So yeah... I love this mouse. And I can't find another to replace it with that feels right in the hand so I want to fix this one. 

Help please? Thank you

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Yeah i'm not reading that.

LOl PLEASEEEEEEEE Read it. Pleaseeeeee

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

11 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

LOl PLEASEEEEEEEE Read it. Pleaseeeeee

Nah mate it's too much fliler text. And for that money you can just buy a Zowie EC1-A. It has the same shape, but better sensor.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Nah mate it's too much fliler text. And for that money you can just buy a Zowie EC1-A. It has the same shape, but better sensor.

Come onnnn read itttttttt. Love you

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

just get a corsair glaive,it has 3 accessory things for the side one of which will make it the same shape and feel as the g5,i had the proteus core which was a g5 variant i think,mine started doing those same issues specially the middle clicker,so i bought a glaive and never been happier.oh and it was only like 35 bux or so,pretty sweet deal really.

27 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

just get a corsair glaive,it has 3 accessory things for the side one of which will make it the same shape and feel as the g5,i had the proteus core which was a g5 variant i think,mine started doing those same issues specially the middle clicker,so i bought a glaive and never been happier.oh and it was only like 35 bux or so,pretty sweet deal really.

But.. but... I love my G5. It's my pet. :(

Seriously though the issue with buying mice is that there is no store that has on display to try them, all mice from all brands. The store I recently went to had 2 Razer mice, a ton of Logitech work mice, 2 Logitech gaming mice, 1 Hyper X mouse, 2 or 1 Corsair mouse (not the one you mention) and 1 Steelseries mouse. That's it.

With mice you need to feel it by using it. When I bought the G5 there were hardly any other mice. And at first I bought a Razer Copperhead but hated it. Returned it and got the G5. Back then there was nowhere near the amount of mice there are today.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Turns out that guy claims the following (messages exchanged via FB.... the shop is a small shop and they have a FB page people can message them on):

Me: I'm the guy that spoke to you many months ago about a mouse that I want to replace the SMD tactile switches on. I've finally ordered and receive the switches and have disassembled the mouse. Is it OK to bring it in today after lunch?

Him: Hello mate, the guy who does the soldering and board repairs is no longer with us unfortunately
me: Sorry what do you mean?
me: I think I spoke to the owner of the store last time and it was he who said he can do it

Him: Yes the business has since been sold on. The guy who did all soldering jobs is no longer here

Yeah. No. I don't buy it. I think he just doesn't want to do it anymore.

SOOOOO I will be returning the SMD switches and getting a refund. Which means having to drive to a post office, paying for parking, wait in the queue and pay to have to send it back. 

?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Could just buy another one. Same thing I did. But think Id rather stick to a g500, much better overall. And having a hyper scroll wheel is so worth it.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Not gonna lie, the G5 was the mouse of my childhood. It sat on the desk of my father's seemingly godly PC that I grew up playing Transformers: War for Cybertron and Batman: Arkham Asylum on. Good times.

Regarding getting it fixed/getting a new one.

Unfortunately its hard to test mice before you get them nowadays. I wish you luck in pursuit of a new mouse, a Zowie EC series may do you well as suggested above.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

20 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Could just buy another one. Same thing I did. But think Id rather stick to a g500, much better overall. And having a hyper scroll wheel is so worth it.

you can't buy those new here in the UK

What use is the hyper scroll wheel?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

15 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

you can't buy those new here in the UK

What use is the hyper scroll wheel?

Didn’t say new. eBay has plenty of them. 

Any time you need to scroll fast. Everyday functionality. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Didn’t say new. eBay has plenty of them. 

But you can do that by clicking the middle mouse button and the dragging the mouse down or up.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

18 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

But you can do that by clicking the middle mouse button and the dragging the mouse down or up.

Isn’t as fast or as accurate. Also getting a better optic and buttons that are serviceable without soldering. 

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Isn’t as fast or as accurate. Also getting a better optic and buttons that are serviceable without soldering. 

I am not going to buy a used mouse. Are you nuts?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

30 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I am not going to buy a used mouse. Are you nuts?

Then get a refurbished mouse. Are you nuts?

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Then get a refurbished mouse. Are you nuts?

Not at all. You cannot get a G500 refurbed. Have fun with your crappy used crap.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

14 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Not at all. You cannot get a G500 refurbed. Have fun with your crappy used crap.

Why can’t I get one referberbed? Is yours not used crap at this point?

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Why can’t I get one referberbed? Is yours not used crap at this point?

'referberbed' is not a word. Yes it is. It needs to be recycled.

You does not refer to YOU personally. That should be obvious if you are not autistic. 

I live in the UK as I pointed out earlier. Here we cannot get G500 refurbished. This isn't the USA. We have limited stuff in general. This applies to food, tech and everything else.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

On 1/28/2019 at 9:29 AM, Mick Naughty said:

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

This is why I can't find a good replacement for my G500 either. I cannot use a mouse without hyper scrolling, which Logitech doesn't make many of anymore, and need it to be a Logitech Gaming series mouse because I'm not going to run multiple pieces of software to control my G710+ and a regular Logitech mouse, or another brand. Oh the joys of falling in love with a peripheral then never being able to replace it...

5 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

You can, but it's not the same as hyperscrolling - there's something about having more control being able to flick the wheel and tap to stop it that you don't get with the whole middle click and drag of the mouse.

4 hours ago, grangervoldemort said:

While you're not wrong (Amazon.ca, Amazon.com, and Newegg are all out of stock on their refurbished listings) there's nothing wrong with finding a used mouse locally, or testing your luck on eBay, especially with the buyer protection program. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=G500+logitech

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 4 weeks later...

So I now have a Logitech G903 and a MX Master 2s.

The MX Master 2s I really hate and it causes me hand pain. It is also hard to grip because it's so big.

The G903 is ok. It lacks the hump that supports the palm.

I often end up clicking the right mouse button because on my G5 I rest it on the plastic on the side when not in use.

There is nowhere to rest the right mouse button finger on the G903.

Any ideas on how I can go about getting the plastic push down thingies made mm's longer and who would know how many mm's longer is required in order for it to work properly.

Also in case you're wondering I got both mice for free from Logitech that's why I have these two mice.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

On 1/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, Mick Naughty said:

I now have the G903 and the MX Master 2s. Both have hyperscroll. Hyperscroll is NOT accurate. AT ALL.

It is much more accurate to click the middle mouse button and move the mouse down the distance you want to get the speed you want and be able to slow down when you want and stop where you want.

With hyperscroll it just zooms past everything. You get no time to see anything. It's too fast. Especially for text. It's useless. If you just wanna get to the bottom of the page, use the Page Down button.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

2 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I now have the G903 and the MX Master 2s. Both have hyperscroll. Hyperscroll is NOT accurate. AT ALL.

It is much more accurate to click the middle mouse button and move the mouse down the distance you want t get the speed you want and be able to slow down when you want and stop where you want.

With hyperscroll it just zooms past everything. You get no time to see anything. It's too fast. Especially for text. It's useless. If you just wanna get to the bottom of the page, use the Page Down button.

Works great for me. Go though pdf’s all the time and get where I need to quickly. I can see well enough to get what I need out of it. Only use the center mouse button my accident, I don’t like minor movements vertically. Getting to the top and bottom of pages is easier and less wear and tear on a button. Which is what brought about this whole thing. A better mouse with easy maintenance. 

8 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Works great for me. Go though pdf’s all the time and get where I need to quickly. I can see well enough to get what I need out of it. Only use the center mouse button my accident, I don’t like minor movements vertically. Getting to the top and bottom of pages is easier and less wear and tear on a button. Which is what brought about this whole thing. A better mouse with easy maintenance. 

I do not go through PDF's all the time. Rarely. As I said, if you just want to get to the top or bottom then you use the page down or up. Or you can use the middle mouse button and then move the mouse up or down until it gets to the top or bottom.

No one said anything about excess wear and tear on scrolling. My issues haven't come from scrolling up and down. 

The G5 has a what I assume is worn out plastic push thingies on the DPI Negative and the side scroll. 

It could be the SMD switches. But I doubt they wore out. Mechanically, pushing down on them they feel like the others, so I doubt it's mechanical wear and tear with the switches.

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

3 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

I do not go through PDF's all the time. Rarely. As I said, if you just want to get to the top or bottom then you use the page down or up. Or you can use the middle mouse button and then move the mouse up or down until it gets to the top or bottom.

No one said anything about excess wear and tear on scrolling. My issues haven't come from scrolling up and down. 

The G5 has a what I assume is worn out plastic push thingies on the DPI Negative and the side scroll. 

It could be the SMD switches. But I doubt they wore out. Mechanically, pushing down on them they feel like the others, so I doubt it's mechanical wear and tear with the switches.

My middle mouse wheel has a button. Just like the others. Which will wear. Clicking it and dragging isn’t working on mine. So i use the wheel for its intended purpose, as I have done since Logitech our them on their gaming mice. Use it on everything, simple, fast, accurate and requires no mouse movement.