Laptop Thermal Compound Upgrade: Is it worth it?

Go to solution Solved by mxk,

I think it might be a better option to buy some compound and apply it yourself. Origin isn't bad but I personally wouldn't trust a company to do it, I'd rather do it myself to know that it was done well.

It should help drop temps, hypothetically.

I am in the market for a new laptop, and noticed an option to upgrade thermal compound. 

I don't know much about thermal compound, so I was wondering if it was worth it.

I was looking at OriginPC for a laptop, and they have this blurb for thermal paste:

GELID GC-Extreme CPU Application
Created for Extreme Users on highest level the GC-Extreme thermal compound achieves the best heat conductivity from your CPU to your cooler/Heatsink. Reducing temperatures a whopping 18 degrees Celsius* in some cases over stock thermal compounds. Used by competitive and extreme overclockers as the go to tool for that competitive edge. So if you want that extreme edge we highly recommend GC-Extreme.
  • Ultimate Heat Conductivity
  • Non-Electrical Conductive
  • Non-Corrosive & Non-Curing

Density (g/cm3): 3.73
Thermal conductivity (W/mK): 8.5
Viscosity (Centipoise): 85000

(Similar claims are made for the graphics card compound)

I will be doing some high performance computing, and usually just use computers other people have built.

Running 2 and 3 hour computations is not uncommon for me, so I was wondering if this would make a difference in heat and CPU/GPU performance.

I do plan on trying to compute on both the CPU and GPU.

For laptop specs, I am looking at an i7-8750, GTX1060 6GB, and 16 or 32GB of RAM.

Will thermal compound really make that much of a difference in temperature and performance? If it reduces temperature, that would be awesome for my work, especially since I often do long computations and I get nervous about my laptop getting so hot.

I think it might be a better option to buy some compound and apply it yourself. Origin isn't bad but I personally wouldn't trust a company to do it, I'd rather do it myself to know that it was done well.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

GC Extreme is a good paste, but no guarantees that they dont screw up the application itself.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Which model you're looking at?

Most stock paste in laptops suck so a repaste is highly recommended

GC Extreme is an excellent paste

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Thanks for the quick replies!

27 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Which model you're looking at?

I was looking at the EVO16-S. I'm looking at the gaming laptop, because I want a laptop that can work for my research, but also can let me game.

If I order a laptop from Origin I will probably have them apply the paste. I have never applied the thermal paste to a laptop before, so as long as they are competent they will do as good a job as I would be able to.

Thanks again for the replies. I have fallen out of the world of hardware, and I am glad to see the LTT forums are an awesome place I can come ask questions as I get back into the hardware world!

55 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Thanks for your input, but I don't know what I am doing so if I buy a laptop from Origin, I will just have them apply the thermal compound for me. 

If you are buying the system new and expect to retain warrantee just pay for the option and have them do it.

As for using a high performance thermal compound in a laptop, there is a reason manafacturers do not use high perfomance compounds. In bare die applications they tend to "pump out" from the center of the die rather rapidly. Manafacturers tend to use a thicker paste that favors longevity over thermal properties.

It pretty much comes down to live with poor thermal performance, that will remain poor, but more consistent. Or choose a higher performance thermal paste and expect to reapply once a year.

1 hour ago, esevre said:

EVO16-S

It's the new Clevo P960 which don't have any reviews for now

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128