AMD Wattman Reset After Failure - That Never Happened

Anomnomnomaly
1 hour ago, jasonorme666 said:

Purchased a Vega 63 Nitro+ a few days ago and getting the random lockups and blackscreen and then the wattman restore message after reboot.
Built an entirely new computer today with all new parts apart from the card and the same thing is happening.

It seems so random too, I can be running a stress test for 4 hours and it's fine, but suddenly I will be doing something trivial like checking my e-mail and it will lock up.

Do you have ANYTHING overclocked? CPU/RAM/GPU?

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Absolutely nothing.

Seem to have fixed it by NOT installing the radeon settings/wizard/software and just the display drivers and audio drivers.

First time I've returned to AMD in years and it's pretty disappointing to read they can't be bothered to fix their software in months.

On 5/12/2019 at 3:03 AM, chuckM said:

I should have kept my Intel and Nvidia stuff

ever played Wildlands with a Turing based card?

Its not that there aren't Problem on the other side, its that YOU FIX THEM or wait until its fixed...

On 5/18/2019 at 8:46 PM, jasonorme666 said:

Purchased a Vega 63 Nitro+ a few days ago and getting the random lockups and blackscreen and then the wattman restore message after reboot.
Built an entirely new computer today with all new parts apart from the card and the same thing is happening.

It seems so random too, I can be running a stress test for 4 hours and it's fine, but suddenly I will be doing something trivial like checking my e-mail and it will lock up.

Could be a PSU Issue.

What PSU do you have? Seasonic S12II-Bronze?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, jasonorme666 said:

Absolutely nothing.
Seem to have fixed it by NOT installing the radeon settings/wizard/software and just the display drivers and audio drivers.
First time I've returned to AMD in years and it's pretty disappointing to read they can't be bothered to fix their software in months.

Tried downloading DDU, extracted the files/installed it, rebooted in safe mode  (Hold Shift when clicking on reboot), removed the nVidia Driver?

Or tried it with a fresh Windows Installation?

I also have issues with one of my Windows Installations when I put an AMD GPU inside to replace the GT710 I have inside right now....

But I don't care about Performance, it just needs to do a picture...

I'm also having the same issues with crashing. Have tested my ram with memtest86 , replaced the psu and even installed a better cpu cooler.

Memtest was a good thing, but the rest seems rather unrelated. OK; PSU might be...

Still I get random crashes watching movies, God awful noise when it happens.

That sounds like something is really broken. Can be GPU but doesn't need to be. Can also be the Motherboard.

CPU is not as likely as they are light and can't be damaged easily by transport. GPU and Motherboard can however.

RX 590 Red devil 16GB TridentZ 3200MHz CAS latency 14 2600x no overclocking. EVGA 850G+ supernova

Could you stop the flaming pls? That is not helpful and doesn't encourage people to try to help you.

Also a new thread would have made sense...

What Motherboard did you get? Have you tried the GPU in a different, known working system???

On 5/15/2019 at 11:38 AM, Fifikus said:

Update: they replied that they can't help me. And if i think the card is broken i should contact the dealer.

very helpful...

What else should they tell you? Or what would nVidia have done? Would they even have answered? nVidia wouldn't be much more help either.

Anyway, what's your System?
What PSU do you have? How old?

have you tried DDU, in Safemode and removed _ALL_ nVidia, Intel and also AMD Drivers and reinstalled them?

That it happens when you reboot sounds to me that your Windows Installation might be a bit bad.

And no, AMD CAN NOT recommend you to use DDU.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

The new AMD drivers (19.5.1) offers the option to do a clean install instead of just installing.. I'm using that version and it works great.. Also saw a slight performance bump as well.. 

I recommend anyone using a previous version to give this one a try as they may have fixed quite a few ongoing issues.. Even though I never have a problem (Vega 56, 64 and Radeon VII all run like a dream).. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Tried downloading DDU, extracted the files/installed it, rebooted in safe mode  (Hold Shift when clicking on reboot), removed the nVidia Driver?

Or tried it with a fresh Windows Installation?

I also have issues with one of my Windows Installations when I put an AMD GPU inside to replace the GT710 I have inside right now....

But I don't care about Performance, it just needs to do a picture...

I fixed the issue by NOT installing adrenaline. 

9 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

The new AMD drivers (19.5.1) offers the option to do a clean install instead of just installing..

Öhm, no.

That has been there for a while.

Don't remember when it was implemented but its an older feature. At least somewhere mid last year.

And also the button I clicked since I noticed it -> Clean Install.

What it does, IMO, is to overwrite every setting and resets to default, I presume.

9 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

I recommend anyone using a previous version to give this one a try as they may have fixed quite a few ongoing issues.. Even though I never have a problem (Vega 56, 64 and Radeon VII all run like a dream).. 

Yeah, sometimes some drivers have some issues with some circumstances.

Using a different driver fixes that.

Had an issue with Assasin's Creed 4 a while back (19.2 or 19.3) that was fixed quickly and only happened in one driver so far I've seen.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, Stefan Payne said:

What else should they tell you? Or what would nVidia have done? Would they even have answered? nVidia wouldn't be much more help either.

Anyway, what's your System?
What PSU do you have? How old?

have you tried DDU, in Safemode and removed _ALL_ nVidia, Intel and also AMD Drivers and reinstalled them?

That it happens when you reboot sounds to me that your Windows Installation might be a bit bad.

Well, i thought maybe they are aware of the issue and have some proposals...

I made a fresh installation of Windows, more than once - so i don't think it's Windows what is causing the problem :/

Also tried using DDU at first before making a fresh install (after i switched from nvidia to amd).

My system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 

Motherboard: MSI B350 Pro-VDH

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Icewind Black 750W

GPU: Msi RX 580 Armor OC 8GB

All parts are not older than a year.

5 hours ago, Fifikus said:

Well, i thought maybe they are aware of the issue and have some proposals...

Corporates are bound by many more rules than we private persons are. 

For example they can't recommend or bash certain PSU.

I made a fresh installation of Windows, more than once - so i don't think it's Windows what is causing the problem :/

Good, you didn't mention that or other stuff you did.

Also tried using DDU at first before making a fresh install (after i switched from nvidia to amd).

My system:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 

Motherboard: MSI B350 Pro-VDH

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Icewind Black 750W

GPU: Msi RX 580 Armor OC 8GB

All parts are not older than a year.

The PSU is something I'd not gotten. Though I don't have many informations about how good/bad the PSU is. But since its Sharkoon, I'd expect it to be on the lower end. Also why 750W?! 

A 500W be quiet Pure Power 10 or 11 would have been a far better choice...

As for the GPU, the MSI RX 580 is not the best one...

But since you tried so much, why are you hesitant on sending the card in for warranty??

That is what Warranty is for, even politicians know that things break, especially in the early months of usage...

That's the Problem with what people claim about certain manufacturers...

When something is bad on AMD -> bash AMD. Instead of fixing the Problem or sending the Card in for Warranty.

Whan simething is bad on others -> ah, well, must be unlicky -> send in for RMA...

Be aware that Water is the same for all people. Nobody can be better than others in terms early reliability, because the most Problems are caused by not so soft transportation...

And if you'd send it in early enough, nobody will ask questions. Everyone in the Industry knows about "DOA" (Dead on Arrival" situations)...