Why people use MacOS?

18 hours ago, jpenguin said:

Grey market keys really don't count

There's really no point to this thread, as you've countered everything we've said.  just cause you don't like the way MacOS works, doesn't mean it's bad.  I use Linux, but that doesn't make other OS's worthless

Well it makes no difference anyway, the same official stores uses these OEM keys. The only difference is probably that they get thousands/hundreds of them instead where avg user can buy single key. Also u can even ignore the activation and use the Win10 ( technically legally ) without paying a cent for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was shopping around for a new laptop, but my new job issued me a 15 inch 2018 Macbook Pro, with i7 and 16 Go of RAM.

I love it.

I'm a programmer and since it's a work computer, most of what I do is work on it and I love my Mac and Mac OS for that. It's super smooth, I find it very intuitive and multitasking is super easy. It runs all the programs I need, has some extra because a lot of programmers seem to prefer Mac OS too and runs the tools I need it to run, some Windows can't run cleanly.

Though I adore Linux, I describe Mac OS as "the best linux" since it strikes a great balance between the user-friendliness and ubiquity of Windows and the raw power of Linux. Sure it's locked down and silly sometimes, but a poweruser will open a command prompt and do whatever he wants. Then, when work is off, it's a good machine for regular tasks like writing and media consumption and though, no, it's no competitive machine, I can do a bit of gaming just fine. (I have a dedicated gaming rig running Windows for serious gaming anyway.) Half my 500 ish item Steam library runs on Mac, so I can play Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program and strategy games just fine. I even ran Hitman on it at medium graphics just fine.

I like the format, I like the battery life, I like the decision of putting USB-C as the only connector, I like the accessories (I have my laptop and accessories in a Bookbook case and its gorgeous.) I'm also in the category of people who happen to like the new butterfly keys.

Mac OS is a very good UNIX OS which pleases me as a developer and as a user who just wants things to work from time-to-time and who does a bit of light gaming in his pauses and on the go, then goes home to his big gaming machine for serious gaming. I much prefer developing on MacOS and Linux than I do Windows. I'd ditch Windows if it was not for gaming.

Though I have it easy. I didn't pay for it, my company did. That's a 5000$ CAD bill I didn't have to pay. I was personally ready to pay that price, but I do agree that macbooks are at least 500$ overpriced.You do get an excellent machine, but there is a definitive "apple tax". For work reasons, I also hate how Mac OS cannot be virtualized, but that is a story for another time.

tl;dr My work issued macbook pro does everything I need it to comfortably and that's why I love it

9 hours ago, Chapeau said:

For work reasons, I also hate how Mac OS cannot be virtualized, but that is a story for another time.

I feel like there are some workarounds for this. Some of my friends have been able to get El Capitan - Sierra - Mojave running as a VM

3 hours ago, drppr said:

I feel like there are some workarounds for this. Some of my friends have been able to get El Capitan - Sierra - Mojave running as a VM

I have been able to virtualize Mac OS too, but in an enterprise environment, it's very fiddly and fragile and I can't have fiddly and fragile, unless I want angry users complaining.

• 3 months later...

Sorry Apple fans, but this is my ultimate final blow blessed by the Computer Gods and Engineers themselves:

31118e0f03013a469eeddbf6a68d7f90.png

P.S. It was a great discussion, however, nothing made me think that Apple is better in some way.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:40 AM, XR6 said:

Like I said previously, people don't like it when you talk to them like that. It really doesn't help your point.

I was talking from my experience. 

I've used Windows, macOS and Linux (Ubuntu 11.10, 14.04 LTS/Xubuntu 16.04/Manjaro 17.0) as my daily OS before and Linux has always been the one OS I've had reliability issues with. I've found that Linux seems to be unstable no matter what distro I use.

Maybe I've just had bad luck with Linux, who knows. 

It's not the operating system that's unstable. It's the often times amateur softwares they bundle with. E.g. cinnamon desktop when it was first released was a buggy mess. I saw my first Linux version of BSoD on it. 

Linux by itself, if you stripe away the GUI and everything none essential and just run from the command line interface, use industry grade softwares like Apache servers and MySQL, it will run surprisingly well and no crashes whatsoever. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I use it. Not exclusively but I use it. 

Desktop (Specs in signature) - Pop OS. 

Personal Laptop (2014 MacBook Pro 13") - Mac OS Mojave.

Work Laptop (2018 XPS 15) - Windows 10 Professional.

All three OS' fill their own role very well. I like the security/privacy/nature of Linux. I don't like where Microsoft is going with Windows so I made the permanant switch early this year on my desktop. My personal laptop is not used for gaming in any way but I travel a lot and like something light with my personal media in mind. iMessage is great, all my photos sync from my iPhone, its smooth, and I get 6+ hours of battery life from it and it travels well with me. The retina display is still probably one of the best displays I've ever seen on a laptop. Despite being 5 years old now and only running a dual core, I get a great overall experience with Mac OS. If windows was on a system with the same specs, it would be borderline unusable. For browsing the internet, mail, videos, creating documents, listening to music, and organizing my personal photos, its a great overall experience. Is it powerful? Hell no, its weak as shit. It still runs MacOS amazingly well.. butter smooth. Work I use Windows 10. I don't really have any issues with it, it gets the job done and since I work in an IT department that is a Microsoft house, its what I have to use. My boss is fine with me getting a Mac and running my work in a Windows VM if I want, so I might get a MacBook pro to get the best of both worlds. I love linux but don't feel comfortable enough running it as a desktop OS for work. I manage some Linux servers for our Oracle 12c database and some other SUSE servers but still don't know how I feel as it being a production workstation OS.

With the new Mac Pro, would I ever buy one? No. Not because its not a beast of a machine, but its not the right tool for my job. I think John Deere tractors are cool as hell, it doesn't mean I'm going to go buy one. They are really expensive and I'm not a farmer.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:43 AM, Exaco said:

1) MacOS has bad support for software
2) No Gaming or just few games
3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )
4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )
5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )
6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

Well let's address these one by one. 

1. macOS is supported by every major developer and every major piece of software is available on the Mac. Specialty software made for enterprise or other STEM work is usually made with no budget and never updated so they make their program for Windows since it's cheap and gives them market penetration. Those developers are trash. 

2. macOS has never been a gaming operating system and the people who use Macs are less inclined to game anyway. So that's not really something people think about. As for the ones that do use Macs but want to game, we can just dual boot Windows. 

3. Believe it or not, macOS actually has more piracy than Windows. Pro applications like FinalCut and Photoshop are easily crackable on macOS and installable on other machines. A lot of software can simply be dragged and dropped onto an external drive and copy pasted into another machines applications folder and it will work. 

4. Performance of Macs are often better than equivalently specced PCs or laptops thanks to software optimization, RAM caching, and aggressive boost clocks. 

5. macOS leverages QuickSync, METAL, and OpenCL to completely eliminate the value added of CUDA. CUDA is actually not an amazing technology and the new Mac Pro has a dedicated PCIe add in card called "Afterburner" which stomps on an RTX 2080ti

6. Nothing about this is true. macOS is highly customizable through System Preferences and thermal commands or 3rd party applications. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well let's address these one by one. 

1. macOS is supported by every major developer and every major piece of software is available on the Mac. Specialty software made for enterprise or other STEM work is usually made with no budget and never updated so they make their program for Windows since it's cheap and gives them market penetration. Those developers are trash. 

2. macOS has never been a gaming operating system and the people who use Macs are less inclined to game anyway. So that's not really something people think about. As for the ones that do use Macs but want to game, we can just dual boot Windows. 

3. Believe it or not, macOS actually has more piracy than Windows. Pro applications like FinalCut and Photoshop are easily crackable on macOS and installable on other machines. A lot of software can simply be dragged and dropped onto an external drive and copy pasted into another machines applications folder and it will work. 

4. Performance of Macs are often better than equivalently specced PCs or laptops thanks to software optimization, RAM caching, and aggressive boost clocks. 

5. macOS leverages QuickSync, METAL, and OpenCL to completely eliminate the value added of CUDA. CUDA is actually not an amazing technology and the new Mac Pro has a dedicated PCIe add in card called "Afterburner" which stomps on an RTX 2080ti

6. Nothing about this is true. macOS is highly customizable through System Preferences and thermal commands or 3rd party applications. 

1. Not every, 3ds Max is very huge in VFX/Game Development and especially Architecture but it's not supported by MacOS ( Guess Mac users has to choose Maya instead which is also more expensive as far as i remember ) and there's more.
4. Yeah Mac seems like has super optimized OS, but its hardware is usually few times slower than PC/Linux of the same price.
5. Probs i've mentioned it like 10 times already, but none of these is used in creative field if we exclude Adobe soft, only CUDA is being used by many Film Studios and VFX houses not to mention thousands of freelancers and it includes works such as  "The Martian", Westworld ( Intro ) to name a few and it's growing - people slowly switch to GPU ( CUDA ) rendering while most studios still use CPU, but also slowly switch to GPU, because it's alot cheaper and faster, the "RTX" aka RT Cores of Nvidia is game changer also with up to 300% speed increases per GPU. Ofcourse in future we might see render engines that works with AMD, but they probs wont be that good/fast at first.
6. Well maybe, but not as much as Windows/Linux i guess, it's like comparing Android vs iOS, in iOS u can't do sh*t, while Android is highly customizable.

5 hours ago, Exaco said:

Snip

As far as I am concerned, major animation studios like Pixar are primarily using Linux. To say either windows or macOS is better at professional content creation is extreamly misleading. 

https://www.junauza.com/2016/03/popular-hollywood-movies-that-utilizes-linux.html?m=1

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

As far as I am concerned, major animation studios like Pixar are primarily using Linux. To say either windows or macOS is better at professional content creation is extreamly misleading. 

https://www.junauza.com/2016/03/popular-hollywood-movies-that-utilizes-linux.html?m=1

Yeah, because it's massive studio, probs without Linux they could not utilize their HW and resources well ( e.g. hundreds of CPU's / GPU's also downloading/sending data ).
MacOS ofcourse also is being used,  but if they don't lack softwares and budget why not, it's just not efficient and not cost effective especially for small studios or freelancers.
MacOS probs being used mostly in VFX/3D schools or some mid range studios, but it doesn't suit small and big studios.

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

Yeah, because it's massive studio, probs without Linux they could not utilize their HW and resources well ( e.g. hundreds of CPU's / GPU's also downloading/sending data ).
MacOS ofcourse also is being used,  but if they don't lack softwares and budget why not, it's just not efficient and not cost effective especially for small studios or freelancers.
MacOS probs being used mostly in VFX/3D schools or some mid range studios, but it doesn't suit small and big studios.

Linux is used on the back end with their servers. For their front end, most use Macs since that is what they are comfortable with. They all work in a piece of software they develop in house called RenderMan that runs on OSX, Windows, and Linux. 

10 hours ago, lloose said:

Linux is used on the back end with their servers. For their front end, most use Macs since that is what they are comfortable with. They all work in a piece of software they develop in house called RenderMan that runs on OSX, Windows, and Linux. 

Well you normally can't choose the OS you're given, but RenderMan and Main softwares like Maya/Houdini i bet is being used on Linux just to utilize all the HW better and get more performance.
Mac is used for stuff such as Music Production, Writing etc ( according to some guy ), basically independent artists that's not in the pipeline might use Mac/Windows.

6 hours ago, lloose said:

Their video rendering is exclusively done on Linux, in openGL. And he says it's what the "full suite an animator at Pixar would use" too.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, wasab said:

Their video rendering is exclusively done on Linux, in openGL. And he says it's what the "full suite an animator at Pixar would use" too.

Looks pretty cool also their workflow/softwares is super different from what other studios/people would use, i've even never heard about Pixar's USD ( well probs i'm not even supposed to know about it since i'm not an Studio artist and not working on massive projects ).
Btw the OpenGL is used in viewport preview and some basic shading, usually many people use "IPR" which is running on CPU or CUDA ( there's some OpenCL ones, but no one uses it ) and working with assets in realtime, because OpenGL doesn't provide the accurate final look and i personally avoid relying on it, unless ofcourse it's for game engine the OpenGL is useful e.g. from Substance Painter/Designer.

That's the most common workflow u would see in Look Development ( probs other workflow doesn't rly exist ).