Why people use MacOS?

10 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

This wouldn't even break top 1000 worst threads I've seen.

we need a list of that... ??????

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

to answer the title, i use macOS simply because i prefer it.

if i want to make a screen recording of a select part of the screen i can just click new screen recording and drag a selection field over the part i want to record, and hit record. i don't need to install OBS or a similar program first to screen record. 

IMO it's just easier to use. and while i am very tech-savvy it's statisfying to use something that just does what i want without configuring a bunmch of crap first. 

and the UI is beautiful xD 

Seems like nice feature, also i love Nvidia for same reason, the "GeForce Experience" is really good for recording stuff with 1 2key click, also quick to setup + the instant replay, in case you see something lets say on facebook livestream that someone does something stupid or funny or in general something weird happens you can just hit few keys and it records the past 5mins or w/e time u've setup and it pretty much doesn't eat any resources. The only con is that there's no region selection ( using Gyazo for that, but honestly i pretty much never needed it for video ). And also you can livestream with it, don't need any OBS stuff etc.

Speaking of the UI is nice, but seems like there's lack of icon customization for both desktop and dock and i hate these colorful icons on the dock ( looks much better when they're same color similar to my dock pic above, feels alot more integrated and less random ). Also i hate the Finder's Home in MacOS, Windows looks alot more organized and nicer, in case u forgot how it looks: 
9e023dd14d6dd8d2c8c5d96607db6130.png

@Exaco i like a bunch fo different colors on my dock becuase then i can quickly see what is what at a glance. if it's all black icons i have to scan the dock.

She/Her

I used to have the same mentality as you do, but then I actually tried it. Now I want to but a MacBook.

Sure it has its cons, but it also has its pros, this goes for any and every OS. How severely those hinder your experience is purely subjective.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

@Exaco i like a bunch fo different colors on my dock becuase then i can quickly see what is what at a glance. if it's all black icons i have to scan the dock.

It seems like that, but its actually easy, i personally don't even look much at the icons i just know where is what ( same as writing without looking at keyboard and it takes less than 2 days to get fully used to it for the icons ). 

@lewdicrous Yeah i was hoping that MacOS is better, but seems like its same deal like with the Android vs iOS battle. Probs MacOS isn't really for computer "geeks" who does almost everything and uses lots of stuff.

23 minutes ago, Exaco said:

writing without looking at keyboard

i can't do that either xD

23 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Probs MacOS isn't really for computer "geeks" who does almost everything and uses lots of stuff.

it's based on unix so you have that commandline, you can install Wine and run (some) Windows programs (but definetely not all of them), etc... 

She/Her

Less aapplications is kinda true, but they have everything pretty well covered.  some exclusive stuff that I still miss.  I wouldn't go that far on gaming.  Their are defendantly less games, but certainly a variety made for Mac.  I use AMD on linux by choice, nvidia does make the best graphics- but AMD is perfectly fine.  UI being outdated is your opinion.

5 hours ago, jpenguin said:

but they have everything pretty well covered. 

Except these from my list:

Important Softwares:
Vegas ( it's not a big software, but it's just superior in doing montage quickly and doing time remapping in easiest/fastest way possible and then sending to main editing soft )
Substance Painter/Designer ( heard ppl ran it on Mac but with major issues )
3ds Max ( The most used thing over the years, but thinking to switch to Houdini which is supported by MacOS )
GeForce Experience ( basically for easy recording, but could live without it, but it made a life ton easier after switcing from OBS and AMD GPU )

Not so important, but rly good ones:
PotPlayer ( Music player, Movie player, 360 VR player all in 1 w/ nice UI )
MSI Afterburner

"nvidia does make the best graphics- but AMD is perfectly fine."
It's not, some softwares needs high computing power and only nvidia got it, actually many Mac users uses external Nvidia Cards.

I personally grew up with MS Windows from the early days of 3.0,3.1 all the way through to Win10

Switched to macOS via macbook laptops several years ago, as my tweaking and hobbyist days are behind me now.

I work from home several days a week, mostly with Citrix, RACF products, VDI's etc

As most of my work is connecting to other systems either web based, RDP or virtualised, I prefer the macOS environment due to its effortless touchpad gestures, beautiful hi-res scaling (windows doesn't scale hi-rez displays half as well as macOS) and easy swiping between different desktops / screens

For the hobbyst I agree windows is hands down more tweak-able, however products like Parallels emulate windows and other os's effortlessly on a Mac.  

The oriingal poster was a tad fan boyish in their views of the apple world, however I personally lean towards a more balanced approach regarding ones computing requirements...

...as others have said, why limit yourself to one OS when you can have several and reap the benefits each has to offer ?

20190123_161807.thumb.jpg.f2e0ce9f80aa65c23aed5aa18b6fa5e2.jpg20190123_122240.thumb.jpg.635e0f008f5b8f1755a04fe27392941a.jpg20190123_161404.thumb.jpg.42a44273ca29afea73157a6d7ec6d127.jpg

8 hours ago, Exaco said:

Probs MacOS isn't really for computer "geeks" who does almost everything and uses lots of stuff.

MacOS is very popular among developers. 

On 1/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, firelighter487 said:

i can't do that either xD

it's based on unix so you have that commandline, you can install Wine and run (some) Windows programs (but definetely not all of them), etc... 

Windows powershell is actually more versatile than even the Linux terminal. It allows power user to script to a scaring degree. But how useful is it when the system is so locked down? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, Exaco said:

You're complaing for the sake of complaining.  I don't know what all that software is/features.  you even proved my point by saying Houdini, many other 3d modellers too- Modo, Cinema 4D, Cheetah 3D, DAZ, AC3D & Blender to name a few https://www.autodesk.com/solutions/mac-compatible-software (there are 3d modeling/animation sections)

Tons of media player too, don't forget VLC & mplayer for more obscure formats

8 hours ago, jpenguin said:

You're complaing for the sake of complaining.  I don't know what all that software is/features.  you even proved my point by saying Houdini, many other 3d modellers too- Modo, Cinema 4D, Cheetah 3D, DAZ, AC3D & Blender to name a few https://www.autodesk.com/solutions/mac-compatible-software (there are 3d modeling/animation sections)

Tons of media player too, don't forget VLC & mplayer for more obscure formats

Well i find max best for modeling atleast most comfortable. Modo is great too but the UI is bit clunky. Even Blender is good software, isn't industry standard, nobody uses it except freelancers. Im aiming at few studios and they strictly use 3ds Max + Houdini, while others replaced Max for Maya.

Switching to another softwares just because of OS isn't really good option. While VLC is functional, its obsolete compared to PotPlayer.
Lets say even software is not a big deal, then comes bad Nvidia support. Mojave for example don't even have web drivers.. I could go back to Sierra then, but then half of the apps will be no longer supported for example and it looks outdated on top of that ( i rly like Mojave, but High Sierra looks so 2009 ). Yes i could render stuff with CPU, but its slow af and AMD has only 1 renderer which is nothing special, so nvidia is a must have. If apple wasn't that greedy they could've added good Nvidia support ( according to some guy on apple forums they use AMD because they get it alot cheaper than Nivida which makes alot of sense especially knowing how apple saves every penny and adds alot on top e.g. they charge 200$ for 256GB SSD upgrade from 128GB, thats more than it was when SSD's first came out, and now u can get 1TB for 200$ ).

On 1/25/2019 at 6:43 AM, Exaco said:

1) MacOS has bad support for software

2) No Gaming or just few games
3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )
4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )
5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )
6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

Here's my two cents. I have had both Windows and Mac computers for a good 20 years now. 

1) It has different software. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. It really depends on your intended use case.

2) I rarely if ever game on my mac. I know the selection is more limited. It has improved a lot over the last 10 years. Simply having steam has been great. But I usually just game on a PC.

3) May not be entirely true. Probably fairly proportionate to install base. There are lots of locations for pirated mac software if you know where to look. 

4) Once again, depends on use case. If you need bleeding edge hardware, or you want gaming performance, your choices of Mac's are limited. However the average iMac or MacBook Pro easily meets the needs of the average home user or business user. 

5) Use case dependent. Same as question 4. 

6) This is down to personal preference. I like it, but there will be people on both sides. 

My mac I use for certain purposes. I use it for photo's, email (when I want to use a mail client), document management, music library. It is getting a little old now so I don't use it as much for daily use as I used to (i7 2600, 16gb, SSD, 2gb 6970). 

I have a Mac laptop for work. 95% of work is done in a web browser or MS Office suite. Current MBP is fast and easy to use. 

On the PC front I have a primary PC, a PC for my garage and an ESXI server. These are used for a variety of tasks with the exception of the ESXI server which is very much a single role PC.

My first computer was a Mac, a Performa 5260/120 (MacOS 7.5.3, 120mhz, 64mb RAM, 8GB HDD, etc). And my first PC was a 486-DX4 100 running Windows 95. 

My major gripe with Apple computers is the inability to upgrade the hardware myself. I build all my PC's so it is frustrating for me. Looking forward to see the Mac Pro Apple are due to announce this year. If it is up-gradable like Mac Pro's have been in the past, i'll probably buy one to replace my aging iMac.  

On 1/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, Exaco said:

1) MacOS has bad support for software
2) No Gaming or just few games
3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )
4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )
5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )
6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

1. It's up to developers to support macOS. There's very few inherent reasons why something couldn't run on a Mac, and practically everything that does run both fully supports related OS' features and vice versa. You can't blame a library if a book you want to read isn't translated to your language. Apple does generally far better job at providing native software to reduce your dependence on third party software (you mock Safari, but do you really prefer Edge over it?) That may not be ideal to you, but objectively it's a good service to users.

The truest pinnacle of this is how far macOS goes to help you install Windows on your machine. Apple can't force potplayer to support macOS, but it'll go that extra mile to help you finish your work somehow. 

2. "No Gaming" is solid while "just few games" is not. MacOS sees a lot more games than you'd expect given the portion of hardware that's even somewhat suitable for gaming and the fact that nobody is trying to push Macs as a gaming platform. 40% of my Steam library supports macOS (50% if you drop VR games), claiming that there's not enough games to play on any platform is absurd. "Xbox is shit because it doesn't have PlayStation's games, PlayStation is shit because it doesn't have Nintendo's games, Android is shit because it doesn't have Nintendo's games! Wah wah!"

4. Nope. Did your friend in the playground tell you that? And you fell for it, good job. He'll do well in life.

5. I'm more distressed about the lack of integrated kettles. Professionals are a silly bunch, they tend to know what they need, and be intelligent enough to with what has what they need. Thread is titled "Why people use MacOS", and the response to this point is that they don't if they need something that's not available on Mac. I also believe other people have also countered this by pointing out things that are only available on a Mac, so while this is inconvenient, it goes both ways.

6. Vanity is a powerful force, I'll give you that, but surely you can also see the appeal of a UI that doesn't drastically change between every major release?

In general as people's computing habits mature, they'll develop preferences and go with what's the best fit for them. There are plenty who'd use Macs if the pricing was more affordable, and Cthulhu knows how many who are forced to use Macs by their workplace, who'll never touch a Mac again voluntarily. Spreading stupid things because you're 14 and thrive to feel false superiority over whatever group you find easy to target makes the world worse. There's also a good reason why reviewers use new products for a decent amount of time before announcing their opinions. "One hour" isn't even long enough to spot everything that works differently, let alone to understand the difference, and experience if it's better or worse for your natural flow.

2 hours ago, tatte said:

4. Nope. Did your friend in the playground tell you that? And you fell for it, good job. He'll do well in life.

I did some research on that myself, probs i had to formulate the "fact" a bit better, i was talking more about price/performance ratio.
Here's what i came up with comparing two highly-portable products:
R4738sT.jpg

See how slow the Mac is? Their i7's raw performance is basically PC's i3's from 2012-2013. 
However Apple did great job on the weight.

52 minutes ago, Exaco said:

I did some research on that myself, probs i had to formulate the "fact" a bit better, i was talking more about price/performance ratio.
Here's what i came up with comparing two highly-portable products:
See how slow the Mac is? Their i7's raw performance is basically PC's i3's from 2012-2013. 
However Apple did great job on the weight.

Why would you compare anything to the 2017 MacBook? That device‘s only selling point is portability. If you‘re looking for performance and are willing to spend 2000€, then you‘d get a MacBook Pro (which still weighs less at 1.37 kg than the Dell you‘ve brought up).

That being said, it‘s no secret that you‘re paying the Apple tax for pretty much all of Apple‘s products. But then they‘re also the one doing all the software development for the OS (and some great first party apps), something that cannot be said about Dell, Lenovo, etc. who are merely licensing someone else‘s software.

58 minutes ago, Kevaros said:

Why would you compare anything to the 2017 MacBook? That device‘s only selling point is portability. If you‘re looking for performance and are willing to spend 2000€, then you‘d get a MacBook Pro (which still weighs less at 1.37 kg than the Dell you‘ve brought up).

That being said, it‘s no secret that you‘re paying the Apple tax for pretty much all of Apple‘s products. But then they‘re also the one doing all the software development for the OS (and some great first party apps), something that cannot be said about Dell, Lenovo, etc. who are merely licensing someone else‘s software.

Good point, also i see that the MacBook Pro is not that terribly bad in terms of price/specs. However the SSD/RAM pricing is just ridiculous.
1TB - $600
2TB - $1400 ( why not 1200? it's already overpriced af ). 

Also based on apple pricing:
32GB RAM - $800 ( Because +400$ if u want to upgrade from 16 to 32, means 16GB kit = 400 )
16GB RAM - $400

They're just stealing in front of our eyes, it's not just lightweight, good screen etc :D But anyway probs 95% of Mac users have no clue or simply dont care about the worth of SSD/RAM and thats why it works for Apple. Regular PC users and PC builders would just throw rocks at Apple.

25 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

Is there any point to this topic?

Yes, convicing me that MacOS doesn't suck.
It's just another type of Android vs iOS or Audi vs BMW.. But honestly i was curious why people use MacOS and what they see in it so maybe i could start using it myself ( a bit tired of using Windows for straight 16years or so just wanted something new, but according to the responses the MacOS didn't got much better ).

29 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Yes, convicing me that MacOS doesn't suck.
It's just another type of Android vs iOS or Audi vs BMW.. But honestly i was curious why people use MacOS and what they see in it so maybe i could start using it myself ( a bit tired of using Windows for straight 16years or so just wanted something new, but according to the responses the MacOS didn't got much better ).

Well, it works for some people and doesn't for others. The lack of option is seen as a plus by some, nothing to worry about, nothing to configure. If you are seriously considering switching though, don't expect the same programs. Some, like MS Office, Corel painter & most adobe software have Mac and Win versions. There are Mac alternatives to other software- NicePlayer/VLC for PotPlayer, Cheetah3D/Cinema4D fir 3DS Max...

15 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

Cheetah3D/Cinema4D fir 3DS Max...

None of these will ever replace 3DS Max, because Max is just superior for some things especially VFX and Architecture. Cheetah3D is something i've never heard about and im pretty sure nobody uses it, otherwise i would've heard about it. Tbh most 3D artists don't even use Windows, they're with Linux including Apple's company Pixar - they use Linux.

i know i already replied a few pages ago, but i have more to say... 

i do all my school stuff on macOS because i can rely on it and work without distractions. 

every time i power up Windows, be it in a virtual machine on my Mac or my gaming pc, it always gives me a lot of pop-ups. it will start screaming at me to set up onedrive even though i don't want onedrive enabled. i use icloud for everything. it will scream at me that the antivirus didn't find any threats. good, don't bother me then. etc. 

with macOS i can just work without distractions. if it wants to update i can just click remind me tonight. it won't scream at me to set up onedrive, because it's not installed. it just won't bother me in general. 

also i trust my Mac much more than i trust Windows pc's. the reason for which is that Microsoft are mad idiots and think that if you click 'check for updates' that you want beta patches that can easily brick your machine. that's what caused the data deletion thing with 1809, because people clicked that button and got a beta release. 

and time machine is a godsend for keeping all my stuff backed up. i know that if my ssd dies, i can just replace it with a spare ssd (i have an old Mac that still allowed you o replace the drive), restore from time machine and have my Mac back up and running in about 2 hours. 

in conclusion, i trust my Mac way more than any other system i own. it's the only system that i trust with my school stuff, and anything else important. 

She/Her

Lol just signed up to this forum and saw this post. 

So this is why I use macOS as primary system:

- Most unix compatible programs run out of the box, which I use

- No update forcing

- I like the design

- It is for me the best from both worlds (User friendly and commercial tools and free linux tools)

- Developer sometimes for ios

- Had less problems with hackintosh, than with my windows installation, which I use less

- I like the apple ecosystem

- it just feels more home to me

- it helps me concentrate on just work, because no game really works well on macOS, I not even consider download one and play it, while working

- because I use both, windows and mac (but still the most mac) I have a good understanding of both, and can help anybody no matter which os he/she/it has

- some exclusive macOs software

- no real need for an antivirus if you are careful (Probably you can do the same, if you are careful on windows, but it is less likely that you get some ransomware, because most of them have the target windows)

- the only time I need to use windows, is gaming. I game less than I used to do. 

But I don't know, this thread seems more like a WINDOWS VS MAC - ONLY ONE OS CAN BE GOOD. 

This is stupid. Already the question is stupid. Every os has some use case. If you don't have any use case for macOs, than this is totally fine. But this doesn't mean macOS or any other os is less useful than windoof. There are more colors than black and white.