Why people use MacOS?

16 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Whats so special about the Final Cut Pro ? Isn't Premiere / DaVinci Resolve better?

It's much better.

Just now, Matt Kirby said:

Tiles man. I want 'em GONE!

i dont mind the tiles.. they're just implemented worse than 2006 freeware.

This thread reads like you don't even believe your own points.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

FinalCut is fine. Not to mention that it has a single flat rate cost and runs well on any Mac, be it a Atom based 12" or the iMac Pro. Its perfectly functional and is very popular among independent creators and studios. 

I was trained to use Premiere and while it is functional, I (and many others) simply prefer FinalCut Pro. It has a lot of advantages over Premiere. 

I am not really an editor, but just speaking from experience of someone who is in the industry. I don't know anyone who uses Final Cut outside of youtubers and small creators. In the real world that is a joke like Sony Vegas.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep. Mid-2012 13" MBPs (not the 15" ones with a dGPU, on those the GPU kills itself and you literally have Novideo) are some of the most solid Macs ever made, I'm typing on mine rn. Then the 2015 15" ones are probably the best IMO, had the pleasure of working on one back when I did editing and such and it's a beastly laptop, still has plenty of ports, is damn well built and reliable af. The newer ones just seem to have so many darn issues. 

i think i'll never change my mid 2015 15" :)

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep. Mid-2012 13" MBPs (not the 15" ones with a dGPU, on those the GPU kills itself and you literally have Novideo) are some of the most solid Macs ever made, I'm typing on mine rn. Then the 2015 15" ones are probably the best IMO, had the pleasure of working on one back when I did editing and such and it's a beastly laptop, still has plenty of ports, is damn well built and reliable af. The newer ones just seem to have so many darn issues. 

Yeah man! It seems like every day i wake up to see a new issue with them. I'm currently trying to find a 15" 2015 on ebay but it's hard cause their resale value is so high haha 

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I don't know anyone who uses Final Cut outside of youtubers and small creators.

And that is who uses. Some major movies have been made using it, thought not many. 

FinalCut is popular with those people because it so affordable compared to the alternatives for small time creators. Its also easy to use and performs better than other software, its also 1st party. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Matt Kirby said:

Yeah man! It seems like every day i wake up to see a new issue with them. I'm currently trying to find a 15" 2015 on ebay but it's hard cause their resale value is so high haha 

Facts. Even the 2012 era ones are pretty expensive, especially the 17" ones because those are pretty rare. IMO Apple missed a big chance with the i9 rMBP. They could have brought back the beloved 17" MacBook Pro with a Retina display and then had more room in the chassis to actually cool said i9. 

4 minutes ago, Danioki said:

i think i'll never change my mid 2015 15" :)

Heck yeah, they're amazing laptops and if they're anything like other Macs you should get years more life out of it before it becomes just a web browsing machine, then a few more after that. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

And that is who uses. Some major movies have been made using it, thought not many. 

FinalCut is popular with those people because it so affordable compared to the alternatives for small time creators. Its also easy to use and performs better than other software, its also 1st party. 

Well most major films are done on Avid. Premiere is also pretty common for films, Deadpool was edited in Premiere. However, a lot of people are upset with how buggy Adobe CC is and how expensive it is. Resolve I see a lot of people switching to and I think that will take over Premiere as the new mainstream gold standard. As it is free for basic functions, and a one time $300 purchase for the pro version. It's color grading is light years ahead of Premiere's lumetri color. Also it is like Premiere, Lightroom, After Effects, and Audition all in one app and is far more optimized than Premiere.

As it is free for basic functions, and a one time $300 purchase for the pro version. It's color grading is light years ahead of Premiere's lumetri color. Also it is like Premiere, Lightroom, After Effects, and Audition all in one app and is far more optimized than Premiere.

Apple also has that market wrapped up for its users. For basic functions we have iMovie, FinalCut Pro is also just $300. Mac users use FinalCut, Windows users are stuck between many rocks and many hard places. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Facts. Even the 2012 era ones are pretty expensive, especially the 17" ones because those are pretty rare. IMO Apple missed a big chance with the i9 rMBP. They could have brought back the beloved 17" MacBook Pro with a Retina display and then had more room in the chassis to actually cool said i9. 

Heck yeah, they're amazing laptops and if they're anything like other Macs you should get years more life out of it before it becomes just a web browsing machine, then a few more after that. 

I HIGHLY doubt we'll be seeing him again...

F to pay respects to 17" MBP

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple also has that market wrapped up for its users. For basic functions we have iMovie, FinalCut Pro is also just $300. Mac users use FinalCut, Windows users are stuck between many rocks and many hard places. 

Like I said I know a lot of die hard Mac users that despise Final Cut and chose Premiere over it.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Well most major films are done on Avid. Premiere is also pretty common for films, Deadpool was edited in Premiere. However, a lot of people are upset with how buggy Adobe CC is and how expensive it is. Resolve I see a lot of people switching to and I think that will take over Premiere as the new mainstream gold standard. As it is free for basic functions, and a one time $300 purchase for the pro version. It's color grading is light years ahead of Premiere's lumetri color. Also it is like Premiere, Lightroom, After Effects, and Audition all in one app and is far more optimized than Premiere.

I though avid dominated broadcast industry and movies were still being mostly made by more obscure software like smoke and flame suites.

Like I said I know a lot of die hard Mac users that despise Final Cut and chose Premiere over it.

And they can, they have more options. 

I personally like the tracks of Premiere, but everything else about it I don’t like compared to FinalCut. 

Mac users love FinalCut on the average. 

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And what makes you think that? macOS is supported by all major software development houses. 

Yeah, but most Mac users are not interested in playing games. The ones that are, like me, have our own separate gaming rigs. 

If you want to pirate software, macOS is literally one of the easiest platforms to do that on

In what way? 3D performance sure, defiantly not render times for video and defiantly not for DAWs. 

Nobody on macOS uses CUDA, macOS uses OpenCL, RTX is DoA, macOS isn't a gaming operating system and game devs use PCs anyway. 

Sure...

"And what makes you think that? macOS is supported by all major software development houses. "
Well, there's alot of softwares that's not available for Mac for example the one i use the most: 3ds Max
I did a full list before of the stuff i use before to trying to go for hackintosh and like 30% was not supported.

"Yeah, but most Mac users are not interested in playing games. The ones that are, like me, have our own separate gaming rigs. "
Well, computer should do everything including handling games ( probably its more up to game devs and not Apple itself ).

"In what way? 3D performance sure, defiantly not render times for video and defiantly not for DAWs. "

In all ways, but i meant more from the price/performance perspective, Mac usually uses i7's that has the performance of PC's 2nd gen i3 ( reference: MacBook 2017 ) and costs couple of thousands . On top of that they use Radeon cards that aren't that good compared to Nvidia e.g. RX 580 = GTX 1060~. 
Also did the Mac computers moved to DDR4 RAM yet?

Nobody on macOS uses CUDA, macOS uses OpenCL, RTX is DoA, macOS isn't a gaming operating system and game devs use PCs anyway. 
CUDA is great performance boost for Premiere, DaVinci resolve requires CUDA, Cinema 4D also needs CUDA if they want to use Octane Renderer ( which is most popular combo atm among C4D users ). RTX will help alot in future for raytracing etc ( doesn't have to be essentially gaming ). There should be some AI softwares in the future that will require Nvidia.

The UI looks nice in that pic.

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

CUDA is great performance boost for Premiere, DaVinci resolve requires CUDA, Cinema 4D also needs CUDA if they want to use Octane Renderer ( which is most popular combo atm among C4D users )

And FinalCut outperforms Premiere and DaVinci Resolve without CUDA. CUDA isn’t magic or all that great....

"And what makes you think that? macOS is supported by all major software development houses. "
Well, there's alot of sotwares that's not available for Mac for example the one i use the most: 3ds Max

"Yeah, but most Mac users are not interested in playing games. The ones that are, like me, have our own separate gaming rigs. "
Well, computer should do everything including handling games ( probably its more up to game devs and not Apple itself ).

"In what way? 3D performance sure, defiantly not render times for video and defiantly not for DAWs. "

In all ways, but i meant more from the price/performance perspective, Mac usually uses i7's that has the performance of PC's 2nd gen i3 ( reference: MacBook 2017 ) and costs couple of thousands . On top of that they use Radeon cards that aren't that good compared to Nvidia e.g. RX 580 = GTX 1060~. 
Also did the Mac computers moved to DDR4 RAM yet?

CUDA is great performance boost for Premiere, DaVinci resolve requires CUDA, Cinema 4D also needs CUDA if they want to use Octane Renderer ( which is most popular combo atm among C4D users ). RTX will help alot in future for raytracing etc ( doesn't have to be essentially gaming ). There should be some AI softwares in the future that will require Nvidia.

The UI looks nice in that pic.

autodesk was capitalizing on 3dsmax acquisition for a long time and pretty much forgot about it. the transition to the new UI was suffered by a lot of users and plagued by bugs.

there was no reason to invest in a port of 3dsmax for *nix systems, especially since all other major 3d software already was, like Maya and Houdini.

i don't think OSX or Linux, in general, had anything to do in why Autodesk never invested in modernizing 3dsmax codebase.

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And FinalCut outperforms Premiere and DaVinci Resolve without CUDA. CUDA isn’t magic or all that great....

Considering your nickname im not sure if you're being extremely biased or not.
But in general CUDA outperforms even the best CPU's as long as the software supports it well ( depends on the GPU too ofc ) by pretty large amount. For premiere as i know it only boosts the Preview window, you can do some montage and literally play it in realtime in full quality without any buffering/caching or stuff like that. For rendering didn't noticed much improvements.

But in general CUDA outperforms even the best CPU's as long as the software supports it well ( depends on the GPU too ofc ) by pretty large amount.

Sure...

But in general CUDA outperforms even the best CPU's as long as the software supports it well ( depends on the GPU too ofc ) by pretty large amount.

i would not claim it outperforms anything. but my limited experience in the past (i used to edit my drone videos heavily) I tried them all, premiere in OSX FCPX and resolve, premiere was really slow on both my Imac5k and my pc (x299 7900x with 1080ti and 64gb of ram 3200mhz), it was a pain with crashes and weird issues. while FCPX just worked i was editing the videos from my Inspire 1 drone in 4k (compressed video) with no issues and near real-time, it was wonderful, resolve was almost real time in my pc while it was hard to work with a lot of nodes on the imac 5k.

but the experience with premiere was very very bad. 

in either case i think premiere was just a matter of software the OS and hardware had not much to do with it.

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sure...

Well, the Final Cut seems dope. But question is if the dude even enabled the CUDA for premiere :D 
Also why he didn't do the benchmarks for Premiere using the Mac.. Based on Cinebench the CPU on that Mac is pretty weak and its 2.2X the price for 2x less performance.

Also why he didn't do the benchmarks for Premiere using the Mac i bet Mac would've been slower by like 30%..

Yeah, because Premiere is terrible software....

I've switched from Windows to a Hackintosh a year ago, no regrets at all.

Some of the reasons why I use it instead of Windows:

- No ads

- Doesn't force me to use the first party apps

- I prefer the UI myself, so does most people

- The text rendering is better

- The UI is mostly uniform between first and third party apps, WIndows doesn't even have uniformity between its own apps

- Full dark mode (Windows only supports file explorer and metro apps)

- I have the choice of whether to install an update or not:

image.png.60bcd29c2158eba09e780cc803df78fd.png

- Better permission system

- The way applications are set up is more convenient (which makes piracy way easier but I can't get into that for now)

- macOS-only applications like Sketch (I know there are alternatives but they never work out for me)

- You can search through app commands which is really convenient:

image.png.f906bdb3e233d5ad9efc239c376875f6.png

- Remap shortcuts (including third party apps!)

If some app doesn't work then I can just use it in a virtual machine or just dualboot into Windows temporarily.

🙂

5 hours ago, duncannah said:

- No ads - You mean no ads in Safari? Windows doesn't have ads or i didnt noticed them since Windows 10 release. Btw i don't even use the Start feature ( Metro or whatever its called, the Search does all the job ).

- Doesn't force me to use the first party apps - What do you mean? I think MacOS forces it way more, for example why use Safari? I never seen someone using Vivaldi/Chrome/Opera in MacOS or using different file explorer.

- I prefer the UI myself, so does most people - No comment on that, i also it like, but i hate MacOS File Explorer, in windows its alot easier to handle tons of files and sort them to proper folders.

- The text rendering is better - Same in both for me, in Windows you can also customize it.

- The UI is mostly uniform between first and third party apps, WIndows doesn't even have uniformity between its own apps - Windows has same UI in pretty much every second app, ofc it will be different if the app has to be that way, but i think i get what you mean.

- Full dark mode (Windows only supports file explorer and metro apps) - I personally prefer the white file explorer, but you can do everything black in Windows ( + you can do some "modding" and get totally different look )

- I have the choice of whether to install an update or not: - You have the option in Windows also, its just not 1click.

- Better permission system - Maybe

- macOS-only applications like Sketch (I know there are alternatives but they never work out for me) - Weird to hear that from Windows user, i would never like any of the Apple apps, because once ure used to Windows apps u cant go back so easily. But maybe in a year if you force yourself then yeah.

- You can search through app commands which is really convenient - Not sure what is that ( for example if i open Final Cut what im supposed to search there using that feature? ), but Windows search is also rly awesome if you setup it correctly, for example u write first few letters and u get what ure looking for ( options, software, whatever )
049d17f2cf79bba05f9a61283cf76fdc.png

- Remap shortcuts (including third party apps!) - Again not sure what is that, its like clicking on shortcut and migrating the app files to other drive for example? If yes then its rly cool.

If some app doesn't work then I can just use it in a virtual machine or just dualboot into Windows temporarily. - Same in Windows, but Windows supports almost everything so u will need that only in extreme cases, mostly i use Virtual Machine for running rly old apps from Windows XP times. P.S. Running software in virtual machine heavily reduces the performance compared to running it on primary OS.

Anyway thats interesting, i might play around a bit more with MacOS.
Edit:

First hour in Mac Mojave:

I kinda like the OS design, but it's pretty uncomfy so far, straight away you need to fix these password problems etc ( disable them ), then that Apple ID nosense, but its not big deal, since in windows u also need to do few things.
Just like in Leopard the Mojave feels very hollow it's like im using some Lite version of Windows or Mobile OS ( literally like im using something like BlueStacks ), feels extremely cheap.
Doesn't even have an player to open very common .mkv file ( QuickTime wont read it without conversion ), then opened to search in store and it suggested some noname players for 4-17eur LMAO ( windows store atleast shows the free first ).
Anyway installed VLC player and then this happens: https://i.gyazo.com/5520c867b64cee0aa1d6012dd22bc3be.mp4 
Experience so far: 3/10

to answer the title, i use macOS simply because i prefer it.

if i want to make a screen recording of a select part of the screen i can just click new screen recording and drag a selection field over the part i want to record, and hit record. i don't need to install OBS or a similar program first to screen record. 

IMO it's just easier to use. and while i am very tech-savvy it's statisfying to use something that just does what i want without configuring a bunmch of crap first. 

and the UI is beautiful xD 

She/Her