Why people use MacOS?

Hello guys, i don't get why people ( or you ) use Mac OS?
If your first computer was from Apple i get it, but there's some that does Hackintosh stuff or switch from Windows etc. I don't get that, because:

1) MacOS has bad support for software
2) No Gaming or just few games
3) Less piracy ( good for some and bad for other )
4) Poor performance ( if not hackintosh )
5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )
6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

Didn't came here to roast apple, but literally this is like mind**ck for me. I am personally attracted to MacOS but when i think about its functionality it just would be huge disadvantage, and the stability of Mac is just a myth ( mby it doesnt have similar stuff to BSOD, but softwares crashes the same just as on windows ).

Some people don't have enough money to afford Apple products, that's why. Also Final Cut Pro.

3 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Hello guys, i don't get why people ( or you ) use Mac OS?
If your first computer was from Apple i get it, but there's some that does Hackintosh stuff or switch from Windows etc. I don't get that, because:

5) No Nvidia support which means no CUDA/RTX for 3D/Video editing artists. ( if not hackintosh )
6) Outdated UI design / no customization ( everything literally looks identical to 2011 iPhone on 2018 MacOS or for example their Store icon looks like it was made by someone on Fiverr for 5$ )

Didn't came here to roast apple, but literally this is like mind**ck for me. I am personally attracted to MacOS but when i think about its functionality it just would be huge disadvantage, and the stability of Mac is just a myth ( mby it doesnt have similar stuff to BSOD, but softwares crashes the same just as on windows ).

What car do you drive?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Some people don't have enough money to afford Apple products, that's why. Also Final Cut Pro.

Whats so special about the Final Cut Pro ? Isn't Premiere / DaVinci Resolve better?

5 minutes ago, Exaco said:

, i don't get why people ( or you ) use Mac OS

because they like it. it's a free world, and preferences are those of individuals.

case in point:

- it has a text editor, a webbrowser, and an easy way to download silly game apps for time wasting. that is all literally 90% of computers will ever see.

- see above

- ass opposed to what? windows 10.. yeah.. about that..

- see point 1, again.

- see point 1, again.

- as opposed to my dad having his first windows 10 experience right now.. and just about ready to get back to preferring windows XP over windows 7. for more, refer to point 1.

i'm not a OSX user, not even if macbooks were free, but the simple fact is that familiarity, the "one size fits all" mentality, and the simplicity appeal to a lot of people.

(EDIT: browser glitched out and accidentially posted early.. because i get all the sexy bugs.)

MacOS is Unix based, so people would have some similar reasons for using it to Linux.

6 minutes ago, Exaco said:

This is hardware, not MacOS

6 minutes ago, Exaco said:

mostly subjective.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I am a full time Windows user, but will still attempt to answer these questions fairly.

1) As long as the programs you need are on it; that's no big deal. This is a claim with no basis as to what doesn't work. Most big programs are MacOS and Windows releases, nowadays Linux too. 

2) Not everyone games on their computer, but a ton of games nowadays run on MacOS too. The machines are just not really gaming oriented and typically a bad choice for gaming though.

3) Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

4) That has less to do with the software, than the hardware. There are tons of bad performing Windows machines too though. But this has little to do with the OS; which I thought we were discussing here.

5) Yea, no Nvidia support is annoying.. Although that is partially because Apple makes the machines you're suppose to use. I can give you this point.

6) subjective, as there are tons of Windows things I hate in terms of looks though. But everyone has a different opinion on this.

I rate this thread 3/10, terrible bait. Didn't even attack the things that needed to be attacked.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

<outdated UI design>

mostly subjective.

and not inherently bad.

=> refer to my old man trying to figure out why everything is gone in windows 10.

Final Cut is not an argument for MacOS anymore. As someone who works in video, Final Cut is a joke. I am friends with a lot of people in the video space that are so die hard Apple users they all 100% agree that they would use an Apple Flip Phone before an Android smartphone. All of these people agree Final Cut is completely shit and would never use it. And anyone who I am not friends with but have worked with before when topics of editing software comes up if you mention Final Cut they laugh because of how awful it is. People in the pro space edit video in Premiere, Davinci Resolve, or Avid.

It's smooth, handles trackpads incredibly well (with mice the acceleration can be annoying at times though), gestures are fluid and the animations are great, still runs quite well on my 2012 MacBook Pro. It doesn't kill itself over time like Windows does, or if it does it's much slower, I think I've reinstalled macOS once to sort out issues, other than times I was updating to the next major version (often do a full clean install then). It supports 99% of the software I need for work and multitasking on it is easier than it is on windows. Sadly it still doesn't have window snapping but the gestures are so fluid and easy that swapping between windows is just as easy for the most part. I really like the design as well, I've used everything from Mac OS X Tiger to the latest macOS Mojave, they all look great. Installing apps is simpler and smoother than on windows PCs for the most part, pretty much it just works. 

Of course, all this is subjective. The best OS doesn't objectively exist, Windows may be amazing for your workflow, or maybe Linux is better. Maybe you'd rather the dependability and simplicity of a Mac and are willing to sacrifice some customization for that (almost) seamless experience. All down to your opinion and how you work. I've used all 3 major operating systems (Mac, Windows, multiple linux distress for funsies). Theoretically, Linux would be my favorite, but it supports less than macOS so I stick with Macs for work if given the chance. At home I have multiple windows PCs, and have a love/hate relationship with Windows 10. If Linux supported all my games I'd swap to that in a heartbeat though. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Whats so special about the Final Cut Pro ? Isn't Premiere / DaVinci Resolve better?

The optimization on MacOS for Final Cut Pro is seriously good. Render times are so much faster than basically all others...

15 minutes ago, Exaco said:

I use macOS, and I'd argue that software support is fine.

Not everyone plays games.

You're contradicting yourself and frankly not even making a valid point.

This has nothing to do with the OS.

Again, this has nothing to do with macOS being bad.

6) Outdated UI design / no customization

That's subjective.

This is one of the worst threads I've ever seen on this forum. And have you ever used macOS? Because it seems like you're just making things up out of thin air.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Matt Kirby said:

The optimization on MacOS for Final Cut Pro is seriously good. Render times are so much faster than basically all others...

Facts. It's not as powerful as Premiere but I like it a hell of a lot better, it's smoother, faster, and the UI is basically perfect. Premiere is too cluttered and has too much going on, I just get confused and lost. Never really done advanced editing though, mostly just clipping, titles, some color correction and such. Resolve is also really nice, I like it better than Premiere because it's closer to FCP X in terms of UI and so it's easier to use. Premiere does kick ass when using it with any of the other Adobe Suite softwares, or if you need to use RED footage. Again, all subjective, depends on who's editing and what you're doing. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

because they like it. it's a free world, and preferences are those of individuals.

case in point:

- it has a text editor, a webbrowser, and an easy way to download silly game apps for time wasting. that is all literally 90% of computers will ever see.

- see above

- ass opposed to what? windows 10.. yeah.. about that..

- see point 1, again.

- see point 1, again.

- as opposed to my dad ha

I keep forgetting that people still use computers for such basic things haha. Yeah that makes sense then, probs i would get one too as portable laptop for traveling etc.

11 minutes ago, Exaco said:

And what makes you think that? macOS is supported by all major software development houses. 

12 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Yeah, but most Mac users are not interested in playing games. The ones that are, like me, have our own separate gaming rigs. 

12 minutes ago, Exaco said:

If you want to pirate software, macOS is literally one of the easiest platforms to do that on

13 minutes ago, Exaco said:

In what way? 3D performance sure, defiantly not render times for video and defiantly not for DAWs. 

14 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Nobody on macOS uses CUDA, macOS uses OpenCL, RTX is DoA, macOS isn't a gaming operating system and game devs use PCs anyway. 

Sure...

dark-mode-mac-os-1500x710.jpg.54953aae409d56f9d7b4ec6cb2ad1122.jpg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Max_Settings said:

This wouldn't even break top 1000 worst threads I've seen.

I'm relatively new here lol. I guess I haven't seen the worst of the worst.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Facts. It's not as powerful as Premiere but I like it a hell of a lot better, it's smoother, faster, and the UI is basically perfect. Premiere is too cluttered and has too much going on, I just get confused and lost. Never really done advanced editing though, mostly just clipping, titles, some color correction and such. Resolve is also really nice, I like it better than Premiere because it's closer to FCP X in terms of UI and so it's easier to use. Premiere does kick ass when using it with any of the other Adobe Suite softwares, or if you need to use RED footage. Again, all subjective, depends on who's editing and what you're doing. 

Adobe softwares is fairly basic just needs couple of days to get used, you should take a look at The Foundry Nuke if premiere is confusing haha.

Portable is (or maybe was) where it's at. I still see people use the 2012 Macbook Air all the time. That generation of Macbook was SUPER well made... much better than the 2016 onwards stuff. I don't see people using Windows ultrabooks from 2012 very frequently ;)

MACOS and windows user here.

in 2015 i bought a Macbook pro, for the time it was the best thing with a good screen and a full i7 CPU that i found. i needed the good screenand the CPU for photo editing.

still to this day i'll do everything but game in my macbook, like they say, it just work. it is pretty fast (i7 HQ, 16GB ram, NVME pcie SSD) and can handle lightroom and photoshop realy good, when you don't have time to be fixing things in your computer it is awesome that the computer just works fine at any time.

i love MacOs for the looks and the easy of use, i have made clean installations just to try newer SO, never because something failed.

And i love my win10 machine where i game and thinker with OC and upgrade.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Sure...

from someone who uses windows about 95% of the time:

if MS announced that was the look of windows 11.. i'd ditch 10 any day of the week.. because god that UI is junk.

Just now, Matt Kirby said:

Portable is (or maybe was) where it's at. I still see people use the 2012 Macbook Air all the time. That generation of Macbook was SUPER well made... much better than the 2016 onwards stuff. I don't see people using Windows ultrabooks from 2012 very frequently ;)

Yep. Mid-2012 13" MBPs (not the 15" ones with a dGPU, on those the GPU kills itself and you literally have Novideo) are some of the most solid Macs ever made, I'm typing on mine rn. Then the 2015 15" ones are probably the best IMO, had the pleasure of working on one back when I did editing and such and it's a beastly laptop, still has plenty of ports, is damn well built and reliable af. The newer ones just seem to have so many darn issues. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

from someone who uses windows about 95% of the time:

if MS announced that was the look of windows 11.. i'd ditch 10 any day of the week.. because god that UI is junk.

Tiles man. I want 'em GONE!

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

All of these people agree Final Cut is completely shit and would never use it. And anyone who I am not friends with but have worked with before when topics of editing software comes up if you mention Final Cut they laugh because of how awful it is. People in the pro space edit video in Premiere, Davinci Resolve, or Avid.

FinalCut is fine. Not to mention that it has a single flat rate cost and runs well on any Mac, be it a Atom based 12" or the iMac Pro. Its perfectly functional and is very popular among independent creators and studios. 

I was trained to use Premiere and while it is functional, I (and many others) simply prefer FinalCut Pro. It has a lot of advantages over Premiere. 

fullsizeoutput_f53.thumb.jpeg.471f8e52fcea2ea88a98820127f11354.jpeg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)