10 vs 7

HOOTSMON

So i started on PC just as 10 was introduced so i dont really know anything else.

Question is why are there a rock solid group that hate on Microsoft for upgrading/developing to windows 10? They talk almost as if Microsoft had nothing to do with windows 7 and slag them off especially now that they announced they will no longer update 7. 

cheers!

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

2 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

So i started on PC just as 10 was introduced so i dont really know anything else.

Question is why are there a rock solid group that hate on Microsoft for upgrading/developing to windows 10? They talk almost as if Microsoft had nothing to do with windows 7 and slag them off especially now that they announced they will no longer update 7. 

cheers!

Many reasons.

(1) Built-in Telemetry (aka, spyware)

(2) The UI, went from known (the UI for Windows was practically identical from 1995 onward to Win7) to a fragmented mess that is Win10

(3) Artificial limitations of DirectX.

(4) Forcing an "upgrade" to Win10 using very underhanded tactics (which stinks of malware tactics)

(5) It has not been shown to be superior to Win7, except in a few edge cases

That's just for starters....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, HOOTSMON said:

cheers!

You always have a group of people who don't like the new version of Windows, and say how the older version of Windows is better.

All I get to say, is try what you want, make your own opinion on things. And old software version always, eventually, even open source project, get terminated.

It also human nature to not like change. You see this on every software. Web browser has a new look, you have a group of people not liking this new change, calling the end of the web browser in question, only to have its market share increased.

1) Because people don't like change and the new start menu/settings/modern apps "scares" them

2) They use the fact that Microsoft has built-in Telemetry to help them diagnose issues in order to make Windows better, as if they were actively spying on everything you did, which is simply not true. (Not to mention there are ways to disable telemetry completely) 

3) You can't pick and choose which Windows Update to install or not. I've personally experience the issue with this because Win10 kept pushing a faulty graphic driver to my older laptop through WU, resulting in no video playback online. Had to disable updates completely to reinstall the proper driver and leave it disabled... and then WU would reactivate itself after a few weeks, even if it was disabled through the registry and the services, causing this whole issue once more. Still not fixed ever since Win10 first released.

But other than that, on "modern hardware", Win10 works just fine and you get used to the StartMenu, which I honestly like better than Win7 at this point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I dread the day that they get rid of control panel all together... The ''New'' config user interfaces are not that great, some links to the old IU.  The mind set going from one design to another back and fore is sketch to the human brain I guess... Makes you lose focus on the task you need to accomplish.

For Users:
Windows 7:
Simpler

Windows 10:

Snappier, however usually is slowed down by all the bloatware Microsoft Introduced.

More anonymous data for Microsoft.

From a Consumer point of view, there's no reason to change to one if you have the other.

From a business perspective:

Windows 10:

Longer support life,

More attention on updates,

Free upgrade from 7/8.

Windows 7:

Better legacy compatibility.

In a managed environment 10 is better, but I'm not looking forward to the day the control panel disappears.

also RIP Command Prompt, long live powershell!

Never dismiss a possible solution because of a respected brand.

IT Admin perusing a bachelor's in Computer Engineering.

I loved windows 7, tolerated Vista and survived XP (it was still good but had many security problems).

I jumped onto 10 as soon as it was available to me, while many I knew held out for longer.

I have had a grand total of 2 issues, a very early one around network ports not working, forcing me offline for days at a time. The second was the recent OneDrive update which removed the location changes I made to the user folders. I had my docs, photos and videos on my HDD but the update tried to move them to OneDrive which broke the locations and forced them back to my C drive which is a smaller SSD.

Othe than those two Windows 10 has been great, I love the way update come now vs the old way, which now feels so out of date as a method!

Those who don’t like 10 are very vocal but are not the majority. The majority is often silent as they see no need to speak up, only die hard supporters and those who have issues argue things out. The rest of us stay quiet and just get on with things.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Well, it is always "cool" to hate on the latest Windows and go on about how prior versions were so much better. And it is always a little bit of nostalgia at play here. Personally, Windows 10 was the Windows that caused the fewest problems for me and I dare say it is cleary better than W7 for most users nowadays.

People don't like win10 (and most of Windows new releases) because Microsoft made improvements strange way. Nobody complain about better hardware handling, safer networking, faster networking etc. But Microsoft also made some "improvements" that people don't like. For example - if you don't like Defender, in win7 it's easy - you can turn off Defender service. In win8/8.1 it's not that easy, because you have no permissions to do that - but still, you can disable Defender protection permanently inside Defender. In win10 it becomes impossible too - now you must made changes in registry. The same is about Windows updates - you no longer decides. And if you want to decide - it is possible, but not as easy as in win7 case. People wants to decide if they wany to use some improvement or not. Microsoft thinks that we should not be able to decide.

Startup delay - another stupid crap that you may disable by registry, but... why Windows not detects that you're using SSD and disable that delay itself?

Delay between running startup programs - I discover that every program has a little delay before next starts. When I switch to 3rd party software and made my own startup (without using Windows built-in mechanisms), everything loads faster without any dealy. Probably not so many people notice that, but that was first thing I saw when I switch to win10 for the first time - my 6-years old win7 loads autostart programs faster than clean, new win10 (even with delay registry fix).

I saw also one or two programs that Windows don't want to start because they're not compatible with win10 somehow. Strange, even win8.1 can run these tools, but win10 don't even try. It was not a big problem for me, but many people may find it annoying.

I'm used to win10, but still think that win7 seemed faster in some cases.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

People don't like win10 (and most of Windows new releases) because Microsoft made improvements strange way. Nobody complain about better hardware handling, safer networking, faster networking etc. But Microsoft also made some "improvements" that people don't like. For example - if you don't like Defender, in win7 it's easy - you can turn off Defender service. In win8/8.1 it's not that easy, because you have no permissions to do that - but still, you can disable Defender protection permanently inside Defender. In win10 it becomes impossible too - now you must made changes in registry. The same is about Windows updates - you no longer decides. And if you want to decide - it is possible, but not as easy as in win7 case. People wants to decide if they wany to use some improvement or not. Microsoft thinks that we should not be able to decide.

Actually, Windows Defender (now called Windows Security) does partially disables itself, when you install another anti-virus.

I say partially, because Microsoft wants a platform to update malware and spyware check definitions, allowing it to stop at its tracks. yes, Windows Defender does more than viruses. In addition, is to ensure that if your paid or trial version of your anti-virus license expires, Windows Defender reactivate itself, and give you protection.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Startup delay - another stupid crap that you may disable by registry, but... why Windows not detects that you're using SSD and disable that delay itself?

This feature will remain until manufacture stop using shitty eMMC storage and 5400 RPM HDDs. doens't look like it will be any time soon.

And with QLC chip SSDs (1TB+ SSD for dirt cheap), I think this will continue, as they are very slow SSDs, at least on paper, maybe the tech will continue to improve before its wide spread release

Cheers guys! 

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.