81*C too high for Ryzen 1700X?

Ryzen_EDIT.jpg

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

yea its a 280mm rad. its a pretty hefty puppy.

but even though the fan layout is a little goofy, my temps with the rad intaking air arent bad. the card has to work a little harder to stay cool but its not like it cant. I never hit higher than 65c on the card at 100% load on both CPU and GPU even at 2056 MHz on a 1070 so thats not bad.

holy smokes batman...a female who knows what a computer is...crazy...

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X at 4.0GHz |  Corsair H115i |  Asus ROG STRIX X370-F | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3000MHZ 32GB (4x8GB)  | Asus ROG STRIX 2070 Super 

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB - Primary  |  2x Samsung 256GB SSDs and 11TB of spinning storage | Asus BD-RW Optical Drive 

Corsair RM1000i | InWin GR One Case

On 1/24/2019 at 4:43 AM, AriGee50 said:

So, as the title says, does 81 degrees sound too high? I know AMD says over 75 will result in "degradation" over time...which sounds like a pretty safe, cover-my-ass kind of comment (what exactly does degradation mean anyway in real world numbers? I know what it is obviously, but are we talking the chip will last 90 days at 80 degrees? 3 years as opposed to 10? or 9.5 as opposed to 10? you see my point). I have managed to get the chip overclocked to 4.0Ghz on all 8 cores (from 3.4 stock), I am working on seeing if I can get it stable at a slightly lower voltage for lower temps but where Im at seems to be pretty close to the limit. The cost of getting that speed (which I understand is a bit higher than most 1700s like to go) is pretty intense thermals. I am water cooling it on a Corsair H115i but my temps still stay at 81*C while folding (which I do for a good 6-8 hrs every night, so it is a pretty sustained load).

Do you think this is reasonable? Am I pushing it too far? Other Ryzen owners, what are your temps, does this seem reasonable to you?

This is a new chip and a new platform to me (hell, ive never even had an AMD CPU before) so im still feeling everything out.

Thanks everyone,

~ariana

Set your fan profile for your CPU fan which would be the fan on your block for your water cooling unit to 100% all the time, i have ran into issues like that the cpu keeps adjusting the fan speed, makes a big difference

2 minutes ago, BB TECH said:

Set your fan profile for your CPU fan which would be the fan on your block for your water cooling unit to 100% all the time, i have ran into issues like that the cpu keeps adjusting the fan speed, makes a big difference

I had. before I switched the radiator to intake air (when I was hitting 81 C) my fans were running at 100%. Which is 2500 rpm...it sounded like a 747 at takeoff...but I still left them at 100%.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X at 4.0GHz |  Corsair H115i |  Asus ROG STRIX X370-F | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3000MHZ 32GB (4x8GB)  | Asus ROG STRIX 2070 Super 

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB - Primary  |  2x Samsung 256GB SSDs and 11TB of spinning storage | Asus BD-RW Optical Drive 

Just now, AriGee50 said:

I had. before I switched the radiator to intake air (when I was hitting 81 C) my fans were running at 100%. Which is 2500 rpm...it sounded like a 747 at takeoff...but I still left them at 100%.

i would say somethings wrong there, thermal compound issue or something along those lines, 81 Degrees was that at idle or full load, either way thats pretty high either way. Did you use the good compound or the silicone based junk.

5 minutes ago, BB TECH said:

i would say somethings wrong there, thermal compound issue or something along those lines, 81 Degrees was that at idle or full load, either way thats pretty high either way. Did you use the good compound or the silicone based junk.

using Arctic MX-4 which is a pretty good compound (with a good application. I even checked and redid it anyway). 81 C was definitely at full load (81 at idle would be...ridiuclous...). And really isnt all that crazy for a very heavily overclocked 1700X

Just now, AriGee50 said:

using Arctic MX-4 which is a pretty good compound. 81 C was definitely at full load (81 at idle would be...ridiuclous...). And really isnt all that crazy for a very heavily overclocked 1700X

If your CPU is overclocked then yes expect high temps. OEM Liquid Cooling kit. ya 81 is not a far strech. I assumed it was stock. Carry On Bud lol

Just now, BB TECH said:

If your CPU is overclocked then yes expect high temps. OEM Liquid Cooling kit. ya 81 is not a far strech. I assumed it was stock. Carry On Bud lol

all that info was in the original post. 1700X at 4.0 GHz on all 8 cores using a corsair H115i 280mm cooler.

2 minutes ago, AriGee50 said:

all that info was in the original post. 1700X at 4.0 GHz on all 8 cores using a corsair H115i 280mm cooler.

Blame the not reading lol