GA-A320M-H VRM overheat?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You're joking, right?

The Ryzen 3 2300x is a 65w TDP processor,which will probably average 40-50w in power consumption. The board supports a bunch of 95w TDP processors, so it will obviously handle such lower power processor without any worries.

Keep in mind that 2300x is an OEM only processor, so make sure the motherboard will have a BIOS update for it, before you buy that cpu (if you can even buy it from retail stores, OEM only means normally it would only be sold in a bundle with motherboard or sold by a company like Dell or HP as part of a complete PC)

The board supports 1st gen and 2nd gen, so most likely it will be able to support 3rd gen as well (a few A320 based motherboards can't support new processors because the bios chip is too small to contain the code required to support so many generations) but you should wait to actually see a bios update released for it, or the cpu support list updated before you purchase new cpu.

I am building a pc with Ryzen 3 2300X on GigaByte GA-A320M-H. I noticed that on the motherboard there is no radiator for VRM.

Will there be any VRM overheating with this CPU, or everything should be fine?

9 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

no radiator

Do you mean heat sink?

Many cheap motherboards have no heat sink for the VRMs, so the quad core Ryzen 3 lineup isn't much trouble. It would be an issue if you had a 6 or 8 core.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You're joking, right?

The Ryzen 3 2300x is a 65w TDP processor,which will probably average 40-50w in power consumption. The board supports a bunch of 95w TDP processors, so it will obviously handle such lower power processor without any worries.

Keep in mind that 2300x is an OEM only processor, so make sure the motherboard will have a BIOS update for it, before you buy that cpu (if you can even buy it from retail stores, OEM only means normally it would only be sold in a bundle with motherboard or sold by a company like Dell or HP as part of a complete PC)

The board supports 1st gen and 2nd gen, so most likely it will be able to support 3rd gen as well (a few A320 based motherboards can't support new processors because the bios chip is too small to contain the code required to support so many generations) but you should wait to actually see a bios update released for it, or the cpu support list updated before you purchase new cpu.

12 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

I am building a pc with Ryzen 3 2300X on GigaByte GA-A320M-H. I noticed that on the motherboard there is no radiator for VRM.

Everything should be fine.  I've used Gigabyte motherboards for years and had boards that didn't come with heat sinks, and ones that did.. I've also had to remove them (replaced with non-stock heatsinks) in some cases for special builds and never had an issue on gigabyte boards..

I'm guessing by using the a320 you're not planning to overclock, or have much outlandish hardware, so you should be JUST FINE!!! 

11 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

You're good there mate. Normally a low end motherboard doesn't need VRM heatsinks. They don't get too hot. Especially for a 2300x.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

4 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

It SHOULD be fine unless you're trying to overclock (which you probably are as you've gone for a r3 2300x). If you want to overclock then you should probably get at least a b350 board. A good b350 motherboard could be the "MSI B350 Tomahawk" but given the price of the motherboard you've chosen, it might be a bit too expensive. Any b350 motherboard from a reputable brand should be able to overclock that cpu fine.

And, just so you know...it's not a radiator that cools the VRM...its just a heatsink unless you've found an extremely experimental motherboard that hasn't been released.

2 minutes ago, OMGITSAMACGAMER said:

which you probably are as you've gone for a r3 2300x

Unfortunately A320 doesn't overclock.

Also, non-X usually means people will overclock, as opposed to X because the X is just pre overclocked but has the same voltage curve.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thank you all!

Yeah, I meant a heat sink, instead of “radiator”.

2 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

Thank you all!

No worries.. EVERYONE knew what you meant anyway.. That's just people busting your chops for using the wrong term, because everyone one here is perfect and their feces doesn't stink... lol

13 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

Thank you all!

Upon double checking, Your useage of the word "radiator" in place of "heatsink" is perfectly ok.  My text book defines them as:

Heatsink - "A device that helps in the transfer and dissipation of unwanted heat or energy"... A Heat Exchanger

Radiator- "A device used in the dissipation of heat from one area to another" ... A Heat Exchanger

These two definitions are almost identical and because of that I would say that the terms could be used interchangeably.  Only flaw I would see, is that most people associate a Radiator with cooling using a fluid, and heat sink as not..
However, because of heat pipes, saying that a radiator has fluid and heatsinks do not, is just a false statement as heatsinks with heatpipes also contain a very small amount of fluid.  

So calling the Heatsink on the VRM's a Radiator is technically ok, because it's "Radiating" the heat from the VRM to the surrounding air. (From one substance "VRM" to another "AIR") 

17 minutes ago, JamesTheGreat said:

Upon double checking, Your useage of the word "radiator" in place of "heatsink" is perfectly ok

Nice to know that :)

The reason why I said “radiator” is that in my native language, there is no word that means “heat sink”.

“Heat sink” is translated as "radiator"

3 minutes ago, MobiRulez said:

Nice to know that :)

The reason why I said “radiator” is that in my native language, there is no word that means “heat sink”.

“Heat sink” is translated as "radiator"

It's actually a little deeper than what I explained, but for the purpose of what's on a VRM, you could use either term.  Really, what everyone commonly refers to as just a "heat sink" is actually a "Heat Sink with intergrated radiator".  The "Heatsink" itself is the solid part on the bottom which only increased thermal mass.. 

The "w/ intergrated radiator" part, refers to the fins themselves.  This is what actually transfers the heat from the heatsink to the surrounding air...

Since the VRM's would've been cooled by a "Heatsink w/ intergrated radiator" its really ok to use the terms interchangeably.   (in this case, but not always...  This is a correction from my earlier post)