New gaming monitor, need advice on what's good in 2019 and the status of FreeSync on Nvidia GPUs

Morgan MLGman

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be buying a new gaming monitor in a week. My quarterly bonus is quite large this time so I want to finally upgrade my old DELL U2711 (2560x1440, 60Hz, IPS, 27") to something newer.
Despite the age of my current monitor, its specs are still quite good and its colour reproduction is amazing (this panel was used in iMacs at the time as well) so the bar is fairly high :P

For gaming I'm looking for a panel with these specs:
- 2560 x 1440
- 144Hz or higher refresh rate
- minimum 27" and maximum of 32"
- G-Sync or FreeSync (as it should be working fine on Nvidia cards as well) - leaning towards G-Sync more but on the other hand FreeSync gives me an option to buy an AMD card in the future too.
- IPS, don't know if VA panels are as good colour-wise and in terms of viewing angles, if they are then they're an option too
- Don't really care about reaction time
- Don't really care if it's curved or not
- I'm not interested in Ultrawide monitors

I've heard some good things about the newly released Gigabyte (Aorus) monitor, however there might be better options for the price.

Now to the budget - well, it's hard to say because I'm in Poland and everything is overpriced here compared to the US. I planned on spending just short of 700USD when converted but that won't get me the same monitor that's just under 700USD in the US so keep that in mind.

My PC specs are in my signature if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: I found this spreadsheet that's a compatibility list of FreeSync monitors with Nvidia cards, maybe that'll be helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ej9mOe5NamLldpfyFfXrqvLMZP-aG2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/edit?fbclid=IwAR14CJw4cSoP1oxk9hfxV1qA_g9pbEIyLdEMwpW8vZOnOgVoJDk08ytN2qI#gid=0

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

20 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be buying a new gaming monitor in a week. My quarterly bonus is quite large this time so I want to finally upgrade my old DELL U2711 (2560x1440, 60Hz, IPS, 27") to something newer.

well...i would suggest a 144hz or 165hz monitor from the list of supported freesync monitors nvidia approved...or a Gsync monitor with the same specs...

BUT...your current monitor has very nice specs...basicaly all you would gain from the new monitor is high refresh rates and adaptative refresh...which is nice

don't get me wrong but i doubt it's worth that much money...personally i upgraded from a 24'' 1080p 60hz TN monitor to this cadillac of a monitor and it was

night and day...but in your case, unless you play a lot of first person shooters and other games that strongly benefit from silky smooth animations, not sure it's

worth it...maybe you'd be better to just overclock your current monitor and see if you could get it to 70hz or something and then lock it there with vsync or something...

i dunno man, not sure what i would do personally.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

23 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Don't really care about reaction time

You mean response time?

And you should, because ghosting would ruin any large amount of movement on your screen.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You mean response time?

And you should, because ghosting would ruin any large amount of movement on your screen.

he's looking at higher end high refresh rate monitors...and none of these suffer from any kind of ghosting or other form of pixel response issues or anything...they are all top notch...i guess that's why he said not to bother with that, and he's right ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well...i would suggest a 144hz or 165hz monitor from the list of supported freesync monitors nvidia approved...or a Gsync monitor with the same specs...

BUT...your current monitor has very nice specs...basicaly all you would gain from the new monitor is high refresh rates and adaptative refresh...which is nice

don't get me wrong but i doubt it's worth that much money...personally i upgraded from a 24'' 1080p 60hz TN monitor to this cadillac of a monitor and it was

night and day...but in your case, unless you play a lot of first person shooters and other games that strongly benefit from silky smooth animations, not sure it's

worth it...maybe you'd be better to just overclock your current monitor and see if you could get it to 70hz or something and then lock it there with vsync or something...

Well, the problem here is that this current monitor started to slowly break because of the heat that it generates, it's a very old monitor (although a very high-end one at the time, costed over 1K USD) so I want to replace it or use it as a second one instead of the 24" TN panel that I use for that purpose.

It generates ton of heat and draws around 100W of power constantly because it has an old backlight technology inside. LEDs were a thing already at the time but they didn't offer as good colour accuracy as the tech inside so it was still in DELL's highest-end products. The IPS panel itself starts to show its age on one side of the monitor and I found a dead pixel so it seems to be slowly dying...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

he's looking at higher end high refresh rate monitors...and none of these suffer from any kind of ghosting or other form of pixel response issues or anything...they are all top notch...i guess that's why he said not to bother with that, and he's right ;)

Yeah if you were exclusively looking at the good stuff then I guess it wouldn't matter, kind of like spending a boatload of money on a power supply. You can be fairly certain it doesn't suck.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

The difference between 60hz and high refresh rate is massive. I honestly can't play on a 60hz monitor anymore even in slower paced games. Smooth is smooth regardless of the gameplay. 

26 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You mean response time?

Agreed. The ghosting on my dell 1905fp is crazy, because it has a 20ms response time. Obviously monitors like mine aren't for sale anymore, but the point still stands.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

2 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Agreed. The ghosting on my dell 1905fp is crazy, because it has a 20ms response time. Obviously monitors like mine aren't for sale anymore, but the point still stands.

I don't think that will be a problem on a modern ~600USD monitor ;)

50 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I don't think that will be a problem on a modern ~600USD monitor ;)

Still can happen if you get a faulty monitor. 

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Still can happen if you get a faulty monitor. 

I'll replace it immediately if I get a faulty one, I wouldn't consider that a problem...

52 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'll replace it immediately if I get a faulty one, I wouldn't consider that a problem...

I guess just make sure you don't get beaned by a shitty pixel policy.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

15 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I guess just make sure you don't get beaned by a shitty pixel policy.

What do you mean? That the company might not consider that a defect and refuse to RMA?

Also, now that I think of it getting a cheaper FreeSync monitor is a better choice because I might get an AMD GPU in the future and it will also work with it, a G-Sync one wouldn't and would force me to pay premium...

15 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What do you mean? That the company might not consider that a defect and refuse to RMA?

Yeah, It's really bad with Newegg and sometimes brands aren't too nice. I don't remember which companies are nice or not, I'm sure you can find some information about all the main display companies.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

25 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Yeah, It's really bad with Newegg and sometimes brands aren't too nice. I don't remember which companies are nice or not, I'm sure you can find some information about all the main display companies.

Thanks for the tip. btw. what do you think about the newly released Gigabyte AD27QD?

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Thanks for the tip. btw. what do you think about the newly released Gigabyte AD27QD?

Honestly, it looks pretty cool. I would have probably picked one up if I had waited to get my monitor so I could have a gigabyte setup. The hardware unboxed people received it pretty well, so it looks good to me. I assume you've watched a lot of reviews on it, but you'd be a guinea pig when buying it because I think it's gigabytes first display. See if you can find a pixel policy on it.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

Honestly, it looks pretty cool. I would have probably picked one up if I had waited to get my monitor so I could have a gigabyte setup. The hardware unboxed people received it pretty well, so it looks good to me. I assume you've watched a lot of reviews on it, but you'd be a guinea pig when buying it because I think it's gigabytes first display. See if you can find a pixel policy on it.

Yeah, I just watched/read all of the reviews in English that were from trustworthy sites and they all said that the feature-set is quite good for the money and the panel itself is a new one which did great in tests...

I'll check the policy and I'll ask our local retailer when it's going to be available because it's still listed as pre-order here. PL price for it is around $660. This is the top of my budget but I'm willing to spend that much.

EDIT: The alternative for this monitor price-wise would be the ASUS ROG STRIX XG32VQ which looks very cool but it doesn't have HDR and it's a VA panel. It's curved though (not sure if that's good or not, never used a curved monitor) and it's 31,5". There's also the MSI Optix MPG27CQ which is also VA, also curved but 27" and also costs the same.
The Gigabyte one looks the most compelling.

There's also the Samsung C27HG70QQUX but I'm not sure how their QLED technology improves image quality because it's also a VA panel, it's costs the same as well.

42 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, I just watched/read all of the reviews in English that were from trustworthy sites and they all said that the feature-set is quite good for the money and the panel itself is a new one which did great in tests...

I'll check the policy and I'll ask our local retailer when it's going to be available because it's still listed as pre-order here. PL price for it is around $660. This is the top of my budget but I'm willing to spend that much.

EDIT: The alternative for this monitor price-wise would be the ASUS ROG STRIX XG32VQ which looks very cool but it doesn't have HDR and it's a VA panel. It's curved though (not sure if that's good or not, never used a curved monitor) and it's 31,5". There's also the MSI Optix MPG27CQ which is also VA, also curved but 27" and also costs the same.
The Gigabyte one looks the most compelling.

There's also the Samsung C27HG70QQUX but I'm not sure how their QLED technology improves image quality because it's also a VA panel, it's costs the same as well.

the gigabyte one is probably the best choice

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra