Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Enzo1998

Should I reinstall Windows after changing the motherboard??

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys I've changed the motherboard passing from a B350 to a X370, both from Asus, now it is better to make a fresh installation of windows 10 or could I avoid to reinstall it??

I'm a fan of reinstalling windows when changing motherboards since I tend to break some things in my Windows installs, but there is absolutely no necessity behind it. You can run on the same Windows install across however many hardware changes you want now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Try not to. Usually if you have issues it will be the registry, something that you can't do anything about it.

Then format and reinstall.

I would reinstall.

CPU:i7 9700k, Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC, Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB, PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold, Display(s):Samsung P2470HD, SAMSUNG LS24E390HL, Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T, Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire, Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker

I would simply "Reset" Windows from the Recovery section if anything. I reinstalled Windows on one of my builds after changing the motherboard and cpu, and the process to have Windows reactivated was ridiculous. On the phone with a couple tech's for two hours before they eventually issued a new Key.

Prim - Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.2 GHz / CM MasterLiquid Lite Cooler / GA GTX 1060 6GB / 16 GB GEIL RAM @ 2400MHz (OC) / GA-AB350M-HD3 / EVGA 500w PSU

Sec - Intel i5 7600k @ 4.2 GHz / Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler / EVGA GTX 1050 Ti / 8 GB Kingston RAM @ 2400MHz /GA-B250M-DS3H / NZXT 750w PSU

Lenovo y50-70 - Intel i7 4710hq / nVidia GeForce GTX 860m / 8 GB Kingston RAM / 1 TB HDD

I would do a fresh install because it is best practice. There are likely drivers that differ between the new motherboards and the easiest way to limit any conflicting drivers is to just do a fresh install. 

In my opinion, yes. It's good practice if you change to a different MOBO. I had this issue on hand and forgot to reinstall and ran into some compatibility issues before fixing it with a clean boi install.

Do not reinstall Windows, it's waste of time. System will work the same good as "new" (because it will be basically the same).

Windows do not use drivers for non-existing hardware. In rare case of any conflict (I never had one, but who knows) - you can use tools like Ghostbuster.

That "good practice" is not so good - people use it "just in case" becasue "SOMETHING wrongt MAY happen" etc. It's like someone ask you to drive faster on fast route and you're answering "no, better not to do that, I always drive 50km/h and it's best practice to drive always the same speed". No, it's not. It's lack of any practice. :)

First of all run your PC with same windows installed if you see some problem with your PC, then don't waste your time in fixing them and install fresh windows