Simple overclock?

I wanna overclock my i7 8700k to 4.7ghz where should i start. I have the h115i pro. I have no idea about overclocking. And those youtube videos are very overwhelming when it comes to bios settings. I have the asus z370a. Any suggestion?

Well, you'll need to learn how to OC via the BIOS anyway since that's the preferred way. Up the multiplier, stress test, repeat. Once it's unstable, up voltage until you reach 1.4 or temps reach 90c.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Well, you'll need to learn how to OC via the BIOS anyway since that's the preferred way. Up the multiplier, stress test, repeat. Once it's unstable, up voltage until you reach 1.4 or temps reach 90c.

Like what video or guide to start with.

1 hour ago, charbel1011 said:

Go into your BIOS, and into Advanced Mode or press F7.

but first reset your BIOS to default by pressing F5, then F10 to save changes, go back into your BIOS and enable XMP FIRST, then change the things only i tell you to change.

if you enable XMP after you change all the things listed below, then it might mess some stuff up.

Under AI Tweaker.

BCLK Frequency - 100

ASUS Multicore Enhancement - Disabled

CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores

1-Core Ratio Limit - 47 (this means 4.7Ghz if the BCLK is 100, 47*100=4700Mhz)

CPU SVID Support - Disabled 

CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max - 255.75

BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage - Disabled

CPU Core/Cache Voltage - Manual Mode

- CPU Core Voltage Override - this is your CPU voltage, can't really know what you should put here since every CPU is different, but you can start with 1.25, and then work your way down, or maybe work your way up if it's not stable.

(Max Safe Voltage is 1.4 recommended by Intel, but i would try to stay around 1.35, you should be able to achieve 5Ghz with around 1.35V depending on the quality of the CPU, some can achieve 5Ghz with 1.3V or 1.25V and some need 1.4V)

Always check voltages after you overclock with HWinfo or HWmonitor, to make sure everything is setup correctly)

Under AI Tweaker > DIGI+ VRM

CPU Load-Line Calibration - Level 6

VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU Power Duty Control - Extreme (you don't have to change these, but if it's not stable then try putting it on Extreme)

CPU Power Phase Control - Extreme (you don't have to change these, but if it's not stable then try putting it on Extreme)

Under AI Tweaker > Internal CPU Power Management

Intel SpeedStep - Disabled 

Turbo Mode - Enabled

Long Duration Pakacge .... - 4095

Short Duration Package.... - 4095

IA AC Load Line - 0.01

IA DC Load Line - 0.01

Under Advanced > CPU Configuration

scroll down till you find CPU - Power Management Control

Turbo Mode - Enabled 

CPU C-States - Disabled

CFG Lock - Disabled

Intel Speed Shift - Disabled

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

50 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Just enable multicore enhancement. It will make your cpu boost to 4.7 on all cores when under load so you don't even have to mess with overclocking.  

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Just enable multicore enhancement. It will make your cpu boost to 4.7 on all cores when under load so you don't even have to mess with overclocking.  

Yeah and it will boost your voltage to 1.4. Which is gonna destroy ur cpu and up ur temps?p

15 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

Go into your BIOS, and into Advanced Mode or press F7.

but first reset your BIOS to default by pressing F5, then F10 to save changes, go back into your BIOS and enable XMP FIRST, then change the things only i tell you to change.

if you enable XMP after you change all the things listed below, then it might mess some stuff up.

Under AI Tweaker.

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual

BCLK Frequency - 100

ASUS Multicore Enhancement - Disabled

CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores

1-Core Ratio Limit - 47 (this means 4.7Ghz if the BCLK is 100, 47*100=4700Mhz)

CPU SVID Support - Disabled 

CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max - 255.75

BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage - Disabled

CPU Core/Cache Voltage - Manual Mode

- CPU Core Voltage Override - this is your CPU voltage, can't really know what you should put here since every CPU is different, but you can start with 1.25, and then work your way down, or maybe work your way up if it's not stable.

(Max Safe Voltage is 1.4 recommended by Intel, but i would try to stay around 1.35, you should be able to achieve 5Ghz with around 1.35V depending on the quality of the CPU, some can achieve 5Ghz with 1.3V or 1.25V and some need 1.4V)

Always check voltages after you overclock with HWinfo or HWmonitor, to make sure everything is setup correctly)

Under AI Tweaker > DIGI+ VRM

CPU Load-Line Calibration - Level 6

VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU Power Duty Control - Extreme (you don't have to change these, but if it's not stable then try putting it on Extreme)

CPU Power Phase Control - Extreme (you don't have to change these, but if it's not stable then try putting it on Extreme)

Under AI Tweaker > Internal CPU Power Management

Turbo Mode - Enabled

Long Duration Pakacge .... - 4095

Short Duration Package.... - 4095

IA AC Load Line - 0.01

IA DC Load Line - 0.01

Under Advanced > CPU Configuration

scroll down till you find CPU - Power Management Control

Turbo Mode - Enabled 

CPU C-States - Disabled

CFG Lock - Disabled

Intel Speed Shift - Disabled

I cannot disable the svid behavior bro. It says auto, typical scenario, etc.

Just now, charbel1011 said:

Yeah and it will boost your voltage to 1.4. Which is gonna destroy ur cpu and up ur temps?p

Not really. Mine doesn't go to 1.4 almost ever and even then it isn't going to ruin a cpu if you have the proper cooling. 

I cannot disable the svid behavior bro. It says auto, typical scenario, etc.

i didn't say SVID Behavior, i said SVID Support, and everything is listed in order because i have the same motherboard, and the spaces between them means you should skip and scroll down.

7 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Yep, the CPU will melt instantly.  Good call :)

Here is a good read with explanations:

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

i didn't say SVID Behavior, i said SVID Support, and everything is listed in order because i have the same motherboard, and the spaces between them means you should skip and scroll down.

U said i need to enable xmp. After i press f5 to reset the bios to default.  But then u say i need to put the ai overclock tuner to manual? Huh? How im gonna enable xmp and the  set the ai overclock tuner to manual? Doesnt that disable xmp?

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

U said i need to enable xmp. After i press f5 to reset the bios to default.  But then u say i need to put the ai overclock tuner to manual? Huh? How im gonna enable xmp and the  set the ai overclock tuner to manual? Doesnt that disable xmp?

it doesn't disable XMP, your frequency and timing would still be setup, but that's why i said you should enable XMP before, because if you enable it after, it will change some settings like the AI Overclock.

if you scroll down you should see your memory is set to 3000mhz or whatever it is, my memory could be wrong though

3 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Under AI Tweaker 

DRAM Frequency

and Under AI Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control

everything should be set up instead of Auto

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

Under AI Tweaker 

DRAM Frequency

and Under AI Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control

everything should be set up instead of Auto

Okay all set. I did all the things u told me. Restatted my pc and boom bsod. Memory management.

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

Okay all set. I did all the things u told me. Restatted my pc and boom bsod. Memory management.

disable XMP and try again? 

Just now, syn2112 said:

disable XMP and try again? 

Disable xmp? Why? 

4 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Disable xmp? Why? 

to test, but anyway i just double checked and it does disable XMP if you put it on Manual, i'll edit my post

9 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Disable xmp? Why? 

same procedure but don't change AI Tuner to Manual

4 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

to test, but anyway i just double checked and it does disable XMP if you put it on Manual, i'll edit my post

U didn't mention anything about the avx i struction core ration negative offset? Like should i keep it auto or 0?

U didn't mention anything about the avx i struction core ration negative offset? Like should i keep it auto or 0?

Should stay at auto, AVX is not that stressful for a 4.7Ghz overclock, but if you were pushing to 5Ghz then you might test with AVX offset.

it basically down clocks your CPU when an AVX program is loading up the CPU, so at 5Ghz all core, an AVX offset of 3 will drop it down to 4.7Ghz under AVX load.

3 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

Should stay at auto, AVX is not that stressful for a 4.7Ghz overclock, but if you were pushing to 5Ghz then you might test with AVX offset.

it basically down clocks your CPU when an AVX program is loading up the CPU, so at 5Ghz all core, an AVX offset of 3 will drop it down to 4.7Ghz under AVX load.

I can't put it at 0?

I can't put it at 0?

you can

12 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

you can

Okay done all the steps. No bsod now. What should i download to test stability? And voltage and etc? 

14 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

you can

Check the last picture i posted