New Water Cooling Build

Hello,

I recently built my first hardline build. I only did my cpu at the moment due to them not making a waterblock for my GPU. My loop consists of a ekwb d5 pump, separate res above, 240mm rad in the front, 120mm rad in the back and the ekwb velocity cpu block. My old build had 2 360mm rads so maybe I am use to lower temperatures but I would like to ask if this is normal anyway. 

Prime95 v26 I am seeing temps on my 8700k at stock speeds reach 70C on small fft after 30min. Not sure if that seems normal or not. I found a youtube video where an EK 240 AIO was getting better temps than I am.

I thought maybe the GPU could be making the temps worse due to the hot air being dumped directly into the rear 120mm rad. Also i ordered some static pressure fans and mine are not rated very high for static pressure. I only have 3 fans inside the case, two on the front rad and one on the rear.

Any thoughts?

More about : w

13 minutes ago, STEMgrh said:

Nice parts! What is your GPUs model?

My GPU is the zotac 1070 ti mini. The 70C stress test is without GPU load. Gaming I average around 50C-60C depending on the game and I am just surprised its not better than my old dark rock pro 4.

Just now, STEMgrh said:

You may be out of luck? sorry

Yeah. I already knew they dont make a waterblock for it but I dont want this generation of rtx cards. My question was about the temperature I am getting during stress test.

For that I would say get more fans and maybe also consider that 70c isn’t that hot.

Don’t see the issue. My 8700k at stock also had the voltage go to 1.45. So that’s a given. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I can only have 3 fans because I have my res mounted to the top of the case in a horizontal position. The noctua fans I have are rated low for static pressure so I bought Ek vardar fans so i am hoping that will help. I know 70C isnt terrible it just was higher than I expected.

I was just expecting better temps than that. Not sure how someone can get 10C lower with an EK AIO.

1 minute ago, BabyGroot69 said:

I was just expecting better temps than that. Not sure how someone can get 10C lower with an EK AIO.

If their room is 10C lower, then it can easily happen.

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

If their room is 10C lower, then it can easily happen.

True. My room was roughly 20C so it was pretty cold so i doubt their room was 10C lower but nothing is impossible. I you guys think its normal temps than I am okay with that.

So didn you check the settings on the cpu?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So didn you check the settings on the cpu?

When I was running prime95, the voltage was 1.1 and 4Ghz so prime wasnt even boosting but when I game, the CPU will boost up to 4.4Ghz.

The fans will help alot being that its a tight case

If you have a way to save the fluid (or its just water), I'd pull the block and check your thermal paste application. Make sure your loop doesn't have any large air bubbles as well. 

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

22 minutes ago, BabyGroot69 said:

When I was running prime95, the voltage was 1.1 and 4Ghz so prime wasnt even boosting but when I game, the CPU will boost up to 4.4Ghz.

What are you used to see voltage and temps? No reason prime wouldn’t boost, were you watching all processeors too?

4 minutes ago, GeoSquigg said:

The fans will help alot being that its a tight case

If you have a way to save the fluid (or its just water), I'd pull the block and check your thermal paste application. Make sure your loop doesn't have any large air bubbles as well. 

That is what I was thinking. I did bleed any large bubbles and now there are just micro bubbles in the res. Thermal paste should be okay. I did pull my block and re-seat it before completing the loop just to make sure I put it on correctly. I guess ill see how the fans do because there also it an dust filter in front the case with pretty small holes.

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

What are you used to see voltage and temps? No reason prime wouldn’t boost, were you watching all processeors too?

Well i had a dark rock pro 4 before this and I am seeing similar temps but maybe that cooler was just as good at dissipating heat. I am used to seeing 4.4Ghz during gaming but all cores stayed at 4Ghz on prime. As for voltage I have only ever seen 1.1 to 1.2.

12 minutes ago, BabyGroot69 said:

I guess ill see how the fans do because there also it an dust filter in front the case with pretty small holes.

That's an easy test, ramp the current fans up to full speed and remove the filter .. see if there's a change in temps .. if it's no more than 2-3C, id say it's a non issue.

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~

1 minute ago, GeoSquigg said:

That's an easy test, ramp the current fans up to full speed and remove the filter .. see if there's a change in temps .. if it's no more than 2-3C, id say it's a non issue.

I am but I am going to wait for the EK fans. Thanks for the help!

I ran my fans at 1300 rpm and I am able to achieve 60C stress test instead of 70C with boost clocks. Just thought I would share my findings.