During High resolutin gaming monitor signal keeps getting dropped and then comes back on again

Melmac

Hi, hope someone can help me understand.

I just got myself a low end ultra wide 3440x1440 100 Hz monitor (HKC C340), I was excited to be able to play games with wider viewing angle. My best game at the moment, Battlefield V started up well enough but soon into it, the screen goes black then a second later the DP input sign comes on in the top right corner and then the game comes back. About 10 seconds later it all repeats. If i then reduce the resolution to 2560x1440 @ 60hz everything is fine. to double check, I downloaded the demo of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and at 3440x1440 it will not even give me a picture (but i can hear the sound and use keyboard to navigate to EXIT button). Here I had to go down to 1920 x 1200 before i could play the game.

My set up:

Ryzen 5 2600x

ASRock B450 Pro

PowerColor RedDevil Vega 64

16GB (2x8)HyperX Predator 3600 DDR4 RGB

AX860i Crosair PSU

Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 500GB (System)

Samsung 860 RVO M.2 Sata (Games)

Seagate Barracuda Optical 3T (Dump Drive)

As I believe my system to be 4k capable i thought all this should not be an issue. So, what is actually happening? Is it my Graphics Cars? The monitor? or even a software issue? What is it that I am not getting?

All your advice is appreciated, thanks.

Few things to cycle through:

Change ports on video card.

Change ports on monitor

Change cables

Don't make all the changes at the same time. 

And what's your power supply? I very much doubt it's the issue, but then again I never think the power supply is the issue and I've been wrong more then I care to admit about that.

11 minutes ago, Melmac said:

Hi, hope someone can help me understand.

I just got myself a low end ultra wide 3440x1440 100 Hz monitor (HKC C340), I was excited to be able to play games with wider viewing angle. My best game at the moment, Battlefield V started up well enough but soon into it, the screen goes black then a second later the DP input sign comes on in the top right corner and then the game comes back. About 10 seconds later it all repeats. If i then reduce the resolution to 2560x1440 @ 60hz everything is fine. to double check, I downloaded the demo of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and at 3440x1440 it will not even give me a picture (but i can hear the sound and use keyboard to navigate to EXIT button). Here I had to go down to 1920 x 1200 before i could play the game.

My set up:

Ryzen 5 2600x

ASRock B450 Pro

PowerColor RedDevil Vega 64

16GB (2x8)HyperX Predator 3600 DDR4 RGB

AX860i Crosair PSU

Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 500GB (System)

Samsung 860 RVO M.2 Sata (Games)

Seagate Barracuda Optical 3T (Dump Drive)

As I believe my system to be 4k capable i thought all this should not be an issue. So, what is actually happening? Is it my Graphics Cars? The monitor? or even a software issue? What is it that I am not getting?

All your advice is appreciated, thanks.

I assuming that as you are using display port you are not using any adapters.

It could be a number of things. I would try changing the DisplayPort cable first to rule that out. Have you had any previous graphics cards before the Vega64 you currently have as you may want to reinstall the drivers for the card after removing them using DDU.

DDU is a third party tool that removes all traces of graphics card drivers that could potentially caused conflicts.

It could be that there is an issue with your monitor but I would rule out the above things before you go through the RMA process.

1 hour ago, Acoreus said:

Few things to cycle through:

Change ports on video card.

Change ports on monitor

Change cables

Don't make all the changes at the same time. 

And what's your power supply? I very much doubt it's the issue, but then again I never think the power supply is the issue and I've been wrong more then I care to admit about that.

Thanks for your your reply. I tried all of your suggestions and with every step the issues persisted.

My Power supply is the Crosair AX860i. I actually just changed to it from a 650W cheaper Chinese brand because i want to start overclocking, and was told having a good PSU is the heart of the PC

1 minute ago, Melmac said:

Thanks for your your reply. I tried all of your suggestions and with every step the issues persisted.

My Power supply is the Crosair AX860i. I actually just changed to it from a 650W cheaper Chinese brand because i want to start overclocking, and was told having a good PSU is the heart of the PC

Do you still have that power supply? Do you think you can toss that back in for a test?

1 hour ago, sky_shark_101 said:

I assuming that as you are using display port you are not using any adapters.

It could be a number of things. I would try changing the DisplayPort cable first to rule that out. Have you had any previous graphics cards before the Vega64 you currently have as you may want to reinstall the drivers for the card after removing them using DDU.

DDU is a third party tool that removes all traces of graphics card drivers that could potentially caused conflicts.

It could be that there is an issue with your monitor but I would rule out the above things before you go through the RMA process.

Yes, no adapters strait from display port on my graphics card to the monitor. And i tried different cable and ports, thanks for the suggestion.

The machine is actually pretty new. And I only got the NVMe HDD last week. So I did a clean install nearly exactly a week ago, so there shouldn't be any driver conflicts.

...RMA process?

Edit: Turn off Freesync. This eliminated a ton of issues from a couple different monitors I worked on.

I have a Mass drop Vast that I run at 3440x1440 @100hz. The only thing I can think of is that you've got a power issue with that monitor. 

The Video card being a Power color 64 shouldn't be the issue as my buddy and I both just made new AMD based computer. He want with the same video card and it's pushing the same monitor I have. I've got a Vega 56 pushing to the same monitor. No issues for either of us. 

My monitor has a faulty plug that only works at certain angles. This weekend I'm actually pulling it open to resolder/reanchor the connection. While troubleshooting it, it behaved a bit like you're describing, but wasn't related to resolution.

WAIT!

Turn off freesync.

1 hour ago, Melmac said:

Yes, no adapters strait from display port on my graphics card to the monitor. And i tried different cable and ports, thanks for the suggestion.

The machine is actually pretty new. And I only got the NVMe HDD last week. So I did a clean install nearly exactly a week ago, so there shouldn't be any driver conflicts.

...RMA process?

The RMA process is returning your faulty equipment to the manufacture for replacement or repair.

@Acoreus shit man you had me so excited about turning off freesync, but no dice. Thanks though. So you guys are also Vega Boys *Linus style eyebrow raise*, I want to start pushing mine to its limits, see how much i can squeeze out of it, any tips here are also welcome.

@sky_shark_101 oh that process, that is still an option. Will be an interesting conversation. (Especially as I will not be able to do it in a language i know) 

Back to the monitor: I beginning to think me cheeping out on my screen here, might be the issue. ... is it not able to draw enough power? this warrants a deeper investigation... will report back, but its going to have to wait a couple of days.

Any further suggestions are welcome

@Melmac  Sounds to me like your low end decision is giving you high end problems. When it comes to pushing the max resolution at its fastest refresh rate, i would never hold it against a cheap monitor to do it at the resolutions it claims.

If this did not do it before the upgrade, and considering your specs, it seems to me that the monitor just wasn't built to its own specs. 

We shouldn't rule out however that AMD drivers can always give grief when it comes to high resolution and high refresh rate. but im less confident with the latter, and 100% on the former.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

19 hours ago, Melmac said:

@Acoreus shit man you had me so excited about turning off freesync, but no dice. Thanks though. So you guys are also Vega Boys *Linus style eyebrow raise*, I want to start pushing mine to its limits, see how much i can squeeze out of it, any tips here are also welcome.

Any further suggestions are welcome

Sorry man. Massdrop Vast and many other 3440x1440 monitors all have defective Freesync systems that cause all kindsa weird issues. I thought for sure that would be it. Honestly at this point I'd just RMA it and get a good monitor. There are a bunch on sale now and they go on sale often so you should get a good one pretty easily.

When OC'ing the Vega, what's the cooling you've got on it, and are you willing to liquid cool it?

Hey guys thanks very much for your support. I'm sorry for not responding sooner. Unfortunately, the RMA will be difficult. Bought at such discount that it will not be possible, Guess now I know why it was so discounted. Also being in China makes arguing with the retailer all that harder. Will have to live with it and the lower resolution is good enough, just more is better.

@AcoreusFor now I am just dipping my feet into the OC ocean. Hoping I will get hooked and start experimenting with pushing the limits. What I mean is that while water cooling will be and option in the future, for now its just pumping a whole load of air through the tower with 6 fans in a fairly cold cellar.

Any way any points in a good direction will be apricated.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just thought I would update this thread. I bought a new Graphics card and now the monitor has no problem running AAA games no problem at 3440x1440. So it was the second hand Vega 64 afterall.

I about to use all my old parts with a big hard drive to make a media hub/back-up gaming station. With the Vega in it, it should be able to live out its days in that comfortably.