New s10 with 2 screens? Well not exactly...

Noctus

Well it would seem out of nowhere samsung has this little tidbit revealed. According to the article and spec pictures provided, there will be a small screen that covers the camera pinhole. This small screen is allegedly able to display its own symbols and colours separate from the main screen but, and here's the kicker, it'll be able to blend in with the main screen to hide the pin hole camera and give a full clean non interrupted viewing experience. 

Spoiler

In this case, what we're looking at is a tiny layered screen that sits over the phone's front-facing pinhole camera lens. In its default state, this second screen is transparent so that selfies and videos can be taken as normal, but then it can also display icons, shapes, colours or even simply more of the main screen, thereby hiding the pinhole.

The layered second screen feature was spotted by Dutch technology site LetsGoDigital, and is detailed in a recently published Samsung patent from January 16, 2019, entitled "Electronic device having display". Here is an image based on that patent's accompanying illustrations that shows how the second display feature is envisaged to work:

HKs9p33385ZnSmKcAeJ78h-650-80.jpg

As can be seen in the above image, the layered second screen would allow the area of screen on or around the phone's pin-hole camera lens to display a variety of things ranging from icons and emojis, through colours and patterns, and onto simply a "full screen smartphone with in-display optical sensors", a feat that would allow the camera lens and sensors to be hidden completely.

So complete full screen movies /YouTube? Yes please! 

Hope to god this extends to the note series.... Dat note full screen experience, offft ??

https://www-t3-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/this-samsung-galaxy-s10-has-two-screens-but-its-not-what-you-think?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.t3.com%2Fnews%2Fthis-samsung-galaxy-s10-has-two-screens-but-its-not-what-you-think

Thoughts people? 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

why bother with another screen tho ?
why not just software and not make your device overly complicated ?

Are we really that much out of ideas ?
A SCREEN WITHIN A FREAKING SCREEN !?!?!!?

photo-85015.gif

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Interesting. It sounds like they might be using their modular LED panels that they showed off at CES.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Works for me

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

55 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

why bother with another screen tho ?
why not just software and not make your device overly complicated ?

Are we really that much out of ideas ?
A SCREEN WITHIN A FREAKING SCREEN !?!?!!?

photo-85015.gif

The tech is cool, just look at Linus' vid on the see through TV screen. 

35 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

slightly skeptical of the image quality of the camera app ._. it's effectively an ND filter over a small camera (which is more or less starved of light in the first place). will need to see how their noise-reduction algorithm would hold up to darker input images

I agree. Tho I doubt it would be put forward for the S10 if it wasnt at an acceptable level, since this is their 10 yr anniversary model and I feel they're pulling out a few aces they've been sitting on to make this launch a thing to remember and possibly lead or make others think about the direction of tech in phones. 

Conversely they could just say fuck it, and we'll get an "acceptable" front camera for selfies but the prime focus is the small screen tech and its ability to hide the camera so we get a full screen experience without bezels etc etc since that's the current trend and they've got a decent solution (that may or may not work).

As I said though, I can't ultimately see them putting this tech into the S10 (since it's a milestone launch) without it being perfected somewhat. This isn't like the Note Edge that preceeded the S(number) Curve varients imo. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

yes yes, I want an area of my phone with a loveheart icon, yes yes

/s /s = sarcasm right

✨FNIGE✨

Just gimme a phone with no selfie cam and such crap and don't complicate the device

I literally used it once within the last 4 years so for me it's a waste

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Sounds like I want an S10 if that's going to be a thing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm mainly interested for under display camera tech though. Display hole is just really ugly. We'll see how they can make it blend but still. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If they are filling the patent just now no way it'll be in the s10 unless it's the fastest implementation of a patent ever lol

I wonder would they implement this on regular cameras too?
It would make selfies easy.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Folks: this is just a patent.

It doesn't mean the S10 will have this, or even that future Samsung phones will have this.  Conceiving an idea and making it a practical reality are two different things.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:39 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Sounds like I want an S10 if that's going to be a thing

I will take anything over a notch st this point the. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, suits said:

If they are filling the patent just now no easy it'll be in the s10 unless it's the fastest implementation of a patent ever lol

Not really. There are many patents that are fileid after or while the invention is made. Obviously this isn't as common for larger corporations but to say it would be unheard of is just false. 

I think the idea of a screen on the back for selfies is a very smart idea, although I have heard otherwise.

You know what this reminds me of in some way? 

The LG V10, albeit this implementation is way different 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

29 minutes ago, fliblio said:

I think the idea of a screen on the back for selfies is a very smart idea, although I have heard otherwise.

It won't have 2 screens like that.