AMD A10 VS AMD RYZEN 5

Is it possible for me to swap out my existing AMD A10 9700 with the AMD RYZEN 5 2600? Will I need to update my drivers? Thanks in advance! 

Yout motherboard will be compatible but it may need a BIOS update. What motherboard do you have?

Also, drivers are for the motherboard and not CPU so no need to download new ones.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yes it's possible! They have the same socket. Considering the CPU is older your mobo might also be. Make sure that your board supports DDR4 as I'm pretty sure you need it for ryzen as it works way better. I'm not 100 percent sure however I heard that you need good ram for ryzen. Also for the drivers, not sure how it works but it's probably going to update it's drivers. 

If you have a B450 or X470 motherboard then you can just put the new CPU in and you're done.

If you have an A320, B350 or X370 motherboard then you might need a BIOS update.

What motherboard do you have?

Just now, bigethab said:

Make sure that your board supports DDR4

If there was a motherboard that supported both DDR3 and an AM4 socket, not only would that work with Ryzen but I would also love it because Ryzen is value oriented and what's better value than cheaping out and getting DDR3.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@fasauceome @1kv @bigethab @Slottr

These are my computer specs:

Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop
7th Gen A10-9700 APU - 1TB HDD - 8GB RAM - Radeon RX 560
Manufacturer Dell
Graphics ProcessorRadeon RX 560
Internal Memory8GB
Hard Drive Capacity1TB
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home
CPU Model7th Gen A10-9700 APU
CPU Cores4
GPU Cores6
Cores10 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 6 GPU)*
Audio TypeWaves MaxxAudio Pro
Optical Drive TypeTray Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner
Weight30.27lbs

But I upgraded alot of stuff but the motherboard isnt one. The motherboard is DDR4 but I tried putting the new CPU in and now my computer will turn on but wont show anything on the monitor. Did I do something wrong? I also tried the jumper but the jumper has 6 pins and removing the CMOS battery didnt work.

7 minutes ago, Yeet thy feet said:

But I upgraded alot of stuff but the motherboard isnt one. The motherboard is DDR4 but I tried putting the new CPU in and now my computer will turn on but wont show anything on the monitor. Did I do something wrong? I also tried the jumper but the jumper has 6 pins and removing the CMOS battery didnt work.

You need to update your BIOS. 

Take a look at this page on how to update your BIOS.

8 minutes ago, Yeet thy feet said:

Did I do something wrong?

that's exactly what we're talking about, outdated BIOS on the motherboard that doesnt recognize the new CPU. Unfortunately this is a prebuilt, so no guarantees if you can find a BIOS that lets you do what you want. Check Dell's site for the system.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

You may need to update the BIOS on the motherboard in order for it to support the Ryzen 2xxx series of processors.

Depending on what motherboard Dell used, it may or may not be possible to upgrade the BIOS to support the new processors.

Put the old CPU back in your system, then determine the exact model of your pc and go on Dell's website and download a newer bios which says that it supports the Ryzen 2000 processors.

4 minutes ago, Yeet thy feet said:

Do i need a new motherboard

You need a 

BIOS Update

for your current motherboard

Primary PC:

6 hours ago, fasauceome said:

If there was a motherboard that supported both DDR3 and an AM4 socket, not only would that work with Ryzen but I would also love it because Ryzen is value oriented and what's better value than cheaping out and getting DDR3.

True, but doesn't ryzen perform horrendously with slower ram?

7 hours ago, Yeet thy feet said:

Is it possible for me to swap out my existing AMD A10 9700 with the AMD RYZEN 5 2600? Will I need to update my drivers? Thanks in advance! 

It might be.

Depends on the Board and so.

You might want to contact DELL or look at their Website, what they tell you.

YOU NEED A BIOS that supports it!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

23 minutes ago, bigethab said:

The Infinity fabric (the "highway" that connects the cores and everything inside the Ryzen cpu) runs at half the frequency of memory, so if you use 2666 mhz ram, the fabric runs at 1333 Mhz, if you use 3200 Mhz ram , the fabric runs at 1600 mhz

So if you'd use 1866 Mhz DDR3, the fabric would run at less than 1000 mhz.

Yes, the processor would be noticeably slower with DDR3.

However, Ryzen's memory controller supports only DDR4 so we don't have to worry about it.

9 hours ago, bigethab said:

The simpler ones like Ryzen 3 that don't rely on infinity fabric would scale a little better.

Primary PC: