Jump to content
Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schnoz

(un) Luckiest experiences of building PCs?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just curious, what have been the luckiest or worst moments of building your PCs? My luckiest was when I applied Conductonaut without frying anything (I used waaaay too much), and my worst  was when I knocked a single capacitor off a Raspberry Pi 3 3 days after the end of the warranty, bricking it. So what did you get lucky (or unlucky) on?


THICC BOI SCIENCE

Link to post
Share on other sites

My luckiest was when I found out my main PC's motherboard and PSU weren't fried and my unluckiest was when the motherboard my cousin sent me turned out to be DOA (i'm sure it was shipping damage).


I'm not liable for anything that may happen to you and your PC if you decide to follow my advice. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, some things may not be correct.

Make sure to tag or quote who you are trying to reply to, that way they will see your answer.

Useful links: Community Standards | PSU Tier List 3.0 | Posting Guidelines 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I knew really anything about computers, I bought my first expensive part ever, brought it home and it was DOA.

 

Boy, that was a frustrating time


Hi how are ya

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Before I knew really anything about computers, I bought my first expensive part ever, brought it home and it was DOA.

 

Boy, that was a frustrating time

:( What was it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckiest (that I remember) Motherboard I ordered was left in the pouring rain for three hours by USPS, after letting it dry and cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, still worked.

 

Unluckiest (that I remember) I was specing out an HDMI over Ethernet solution for one of my churches and one of the boxes that converts signal was DOA. Instead of letting me get a replacement, this guy that no one can stand who was helping with the church bought a Macbook and Apple TV. However, we had to split the signal to two displays (two large format TV's in the front of the room) and his splitter box was DOA. Guess what? He gave himself another chance, something he wouldn't let me do (that's unlucky bit number one. But to note, this dude is not in charge of all our tech stuff, I actually am. So once we get more established, we're getting rid of his "solution". Unlucky bit number two is because not only does Apple suck, but none of my operators understand Mac, OSX, nor the display software we use. ugh).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thick TG Kryonaut droplets trail landed deep into my RAM DIMM slot, cleaned it up with alcohol and tooth brush then put the RAMs on, and luckily enough the system runs normally without issues till now..


NOCTURNAL BLACKOUT || Intel Core i7-8700K || Noctua NH-D15 + NA-HC4 Fully Black Chromaxed || MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4 2666 C16 Black || EVGA GTX 1060 FTW2+ DT 6Gb || Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA 250Gb + WD 2.5" HDD 1Tb + Seagate Momentus 2.5" HDD 500Gb || Corsair TX650M || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX TG Black + 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000 Intake + 1x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax Exhaust || ASUS VG248QE || Ducky One 2 Mini MX Silent Red || Roccat Tyon Black || Corsair HS50 Carbon

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Just curious, what have been the luckiest or worst moments of building your PCs? My luckiest was when I applied Conductonaut without frying anything (I used waaaay too much), and my worst  was when I knocked a single capacitor off a Raspberry Pi 3 3 days after the end of the warranty, bricking it. So what did you get lucky (or unlucky) on?

A long, long time ago I had an ASUS socket A motherboard (I can't remember the model), and I bricked the BIOS updating the firmware.  Anyway, some guy online sold replacement BIOSes for that motherboard, but it didn't fix the bricked motherboard.  It made me sad.  I never bought another ASUS motherboard after that.


Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mom bought an MSI GTX 960 4GB to replace my freshly-dead 7950, but it also turned out to be a dud. RMA'd it only to get the same exact card back 6 months later, with the only thing done being that it was put into a new box (they didn't even take it out of the bag since the tape I used was still intact).

 

Sadly even after that shitshow we still ended up having to go with MSI's 1050ti since it was the only low-pro one available at the time (and when Zotac's was in stock it was still 20-30 bucks more expensive than MSI's offering).


Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 10 Pro x64

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Asus Radeon HD 3650 Silent, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Mom bought an MSI GTX 960 4GB to replace my freshly-dead 7950, but it also turned out to be a dud. RMA'd it only to get the same exact card back 6 months later, with the only thing done being that it was put into a new box (they didn't even take it out of the bag since the tape I used was still intact).

 

Sadly even after that shitshow we still ended up having to go with MSI's 1050ti since it was the only low-pro one available at the time (and when Zotac's was in stock it was still 20-30 bucks more expensive than MSI's offering).

Somewhat on-topic, I had a pretty good experience with Gigabyte's RMA process.  My GTX 1070 died on me about 6 months after buying it.  One day I turned on my PC and the GPU fans were at 100% (it was loud) with no display output.  I put it into my other PC and the same thing happened.  I went on Gigabyte's RMA site, sent them the defective card, and two weeks later they sent me a replacement (it was a different card I took pictures of the S/N).  It's the one I am using now and it works great.


Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going with the FM1 socket in 2016 for my first build thinking I could save money by using my laptop CPU, which spoiler alert*** I couldn't so I ended up buying a a4-3420, then realizing its too weak, so I bought a6-3620, which then I realized it was also too weak, then I saved up for a a8-3870k (Its unlocked but can't overclock for shit) then after realizing everything is garbage and buying a gtx 280 with it was a horrible build, I went with a fx 6300 and a gtx 460, that died 7 months later, then went back to the 280. Then selling the system all together after buying a 550ti in there. Then buying a gtx 1050ti instead of a rx 580, oh also I ended up putting it with my a8-3870k then making the same mistake and buying another fx 6300. Now my biggest mistake is the 2200g instead of a 2600 or a 1600. Wheres the gun? I need it

Link to post
Share on other sites

the first 2 microatx motherboards i tried to put in my very first computer system arrived DOA

the third ATX one broke after a year

 

lol, talk about bad first experiences


OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky: I trusted my brother building our pc, shared, one standoff of intel cooler wasnt intact, it had been running for 4-5 years idle at 80C without noticing, nothing damaged and still in good condition. just how? furthermore we tried to delid it with hammer and luckily we failed

 

Unlucky: My brother was persuade by sales person and got a i5 2500 non-K over the K chip and saved $15....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Ah boiii im about to build my first pc this summer, and im gonna put aloot of money on it so i fcking hope i dont get unluckiest lol

Just watch some videos and we can try to help as well and fear the change of getting a DOA part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Ah boiii im about to build my first pc this summer, and im gonna put aloot of money on it so i fcking hope i dont get unluckiest lol

My advice would be to carefully unpackage everything and keep all the original packaging.  Return policies and warranties are your friend.


Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I found out that the Soyo Socket 370 motherboard and the Pentium 3 Tualatin 1Ghz (or was it 1.13, I can't recall) processor I bought were terrible together and about as stable as a potato chip. Also I couldn't get it to overclock worth a darn, it's still in my basement all these almost 20 years later. I think for nostolgia sake I'll get it out and play with it some! At the time all I had was Windows 98 which in of itself may have not be very stable, but now I know about Linux if this board even supports booting from USB. Do I even have any PATA drives that work anymore? Wow.

 

 

Luckiest is when a hard drive caught fire and did no other damage to the system, or maybe when I finally dove in and started to learn how to use Ubuntu Linux with 6.06 because knowing how to use an OS besides Windows has been a HUGE resource to me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Just watch some videos and we can try to help as well and fear the change of getting a DOA part.

ive watched plenty man, so many builds, like i know how to build a pc, ive been building pc's in my school, and its been mostly ok, so i have good experience but the thing is thats not mine, and even if i fck anything up theres like endless of core 2 duos in there so im ok, but here, its so expensive and ive only got 1 of 1. lmao

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

My advice would be to carefully unpackage everything and keep all the original packaging.  Return policies and warranties are your friend.

Yup!!! Policies and warranties have been a friend of mine for a while now 😅😅😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

ive watched plenty man, so many builds, like i know how to build a pc, ive been building pc's in my school, and its been mostly ok, so i have good experience but the thing is thats not mine, and even if i fck anything up theres like endless of core 2 duos in there so im ok, but here, its so expensive and ive only got 1 of 1. lmao

Touché

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckiest: "Borrowing" an i5-4430s to find it fit perfectly into my mobo - that was before I knew about CPU generations/sockets etc.

 

Unluckiest: Frying the HDMI and artifacting my HTPC's video card :(


Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

 

Rigs

Spoiler

       Type            Desktop

       OS              Windows 10 Pro

       CPU             i5-4430S

       RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

       Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97

       Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

       GPU             GeForce GTX 555

       Storage         500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 160GB Hitachi 2.5" (cache)

 

Spoiler

       Type            Server

       OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

       CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

       RAM             2GB Non-ECC

       Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

       Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

       Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

 

Quotes of Fame

On 27/08/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 11/10/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

 

On 22/06/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure i've mentioned this story here before,

 

but when I fried an AMD cpu prior to the "XP" days when there was no thermal throttling and gave myself horrible burns to the tips of my fingers.

 

had just finished building my fancy new gaming computer, fresh with a 1.4ghz (i think if iirc) CPU! but I got a lemon CPU fan. it was making really bad noise. So, I decided to run bck to the computer store and buy an upgraded cooler anyways.

 

Left the computer on (cause I'm not a smart man), and went out.

Came home. Thought the computer was off because there was no more display and when looking inside. the fan was no longer spinning.

 

So, with the computer off, I figured I'd just reach in and pull it apart. So I reached in and grabbed onto the CPU cooler... 

 

BIG mistake. the computer was NOT off. it had just... cooked itself to death. power was still running and the aluminum cooler block had been the only thing to absorb any of the heat before giving up the ghost.

 

tips of my fingers, horribly burned and blistered. 

 

CPU self thermal protection was a marvelous invention.

 

that was probably the worst. 2nd worst would be frying two brand new 8800gts's when I slipped with the SLI bridge and shorted both cards.


Quote

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R7-1700, MSI B450i PLUS AC, Nvidia Geforce 1070. 16GB DDR4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sprawlie said:

I'm pretty sure i've mentioned this story here before,

 

but when I fried an AMD cpu prior to the "XP" days when there was no thermal throttling and gave myself horrible burns to the tips of my fingers.

 

had just finished building my fancy new gaming computer, fresh with a 1.4ghz (i think if iirc) CPU! but I got a lemon CPU fan. it was making really bad noise. So, I decided to run bck to the computer store and buy an upgraded cooler anyways.

 

Left the computer on (cause I'm not a smart man), and went out.

Came home. Thought the computer was off because there was no more display and when looking inside. the fan was no longer spinning.

 

So, with the computer off, I figured I'd just reach in and pull it apart. So I reached in and grabbed onto the CPU cooler... 

 

BIG mistake. the computer was NOT off. it had just... cooked itself to death. power was still running and the aluminum cooler block had been the only thing to absorb any of the heat before giving up the ghost.

 

tips of my fingers, horribly burned and blistered. 

 

CPU self thermal protection was a marvelous invention.

 

that was probably the worst. 2nd worst would be frying two brand new 8800gts's when I slipped with the SLI bridge and shorted both cards.

I remember those older AMD Athlon CPUs ran hot AF.  Great story though. 


Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×