Looking for a $1000 laptop to (mostly) replace my desktop.

Hello,

I'm a college student approaching graduation and I'm looking to finally replace my gaming PC. Between school and gaining different interests, I find myself not gaming much anymore, and when I do, it's usually less intensive games like Rocket League or Dota 2. I'm finding it harder and harder to justify keeping my PC when I could have something much more portable and power efficient that will do what I need it to do.

Budget

Based on some quick research, I think I could get $800-$1000 by selling my PC, monitor, and current (cheap) laptop. (Side note: would it be better to sell my PC in parts or as a pre-built?) I'm willing to pay around $200 out of pocket to supplement this but would prefer to keep that to a minimum. So, that's the price range I'm working in.

What I Need

• Good Keyboard: I'm not completely sure what I'll be doing for a living, but there's a good chance it will involve a lot of writing, so I want a good keyboard that I can use for long periods of time without trouble. I have a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Browns right now, which I don't really like that much. I find myself regularly hitting multiple keys and it's a little tricky to feel where the key actually activates.
  • Photo Editing: I do some graphic work right now, so I want to be able to use Photoshop and Illustrator without much trouble. It doesn't have to be lightning fast, but I need it to work.
  • Longevity: I would like to be able to use this laptop for at least 5 years if not longer to justify the cost. I'm not the kind of person that needs the newest technology all the time.

What I Would Like

• Upgradeability: To help with the longevity, being able to upgrade some components myself would be nice. If the laptop is good enough, this might not be necessary.
  • Some Gaming Capability: The built-in GPU should be able to handle some games. Specifically Rocket League, Dota 2, Overwatch, Fortnite, etc. Medium settings is fine as long as the FPS is good enough.
    • This could also be fulfilled by being compatible with an external GPU that I could purchase at a later date.
  • Portability: I would want to be able to take this with me so I can do work on the go. A thin-and-light would be nice, but as long as it's not really chunky I'm okay.

What I have so far

The strongest contender for me right now is the LG Gram. I've heard great things about the keyboard as well as its upgradeability. It is on the high end of my price range, but I think it might be worth it. I was also looking at the Surface lineup, mostly because of the keyboard. I am worried I wouldn't be able to afford a model that would have the specs I want. I have also read some good reviews of the Dell XPS 13, but don't know much about them.

Any advice on what to buy, how to sell my gaming PC, or if I should wait for new computers to be released is appreciated.

Thanks!

Broke college boy simultaneously spending too much and not enough money on computer parts.

View My Build Here

Firstly, selling your PC in parts might give you a bit more money but it's a hassle trying to find many buyers as opposed to one and can be hectic. I would sell it as one whole unit and be done with it.

Right now, HIDevolution who is an excellent system builder that I've bought 4 laptops from have the following laptops on sale which are a great bang for the buck, meaning, they have high specs but a price that's a steal!!

See the various models here: http://www.hidevolution.com/specials-1/msi

my pick would be the GP63 as it's small and light yet packs a lot of power.

If you email donald@hidevolution.com you might be able to get a small discount on top of that.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

I'd wait for RTX 2060 laptops. I am doing that myself.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

7 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

I'd wait for RTX 2060 laptops. I am doing that myself.

I don't think I need an RTX 2060, but would prices of other laptops drop by that point? I'm probably going to wait until at least the spring or summer to do this anyways.

Broke college boy simultaneously spending too much and not enough money on computer parts.

View My Build Here

21 minutes ago, Ultra Male said:

Firstly, selling your PC in parts might give you a bit more money but it's a hassle trying to find many buyers as opposed to one and can be hectic. I would sell it as one whole unit and be done with it.

Right now, HIDevolution who is an excellent system builder that I've bought 4 laptops from have the following laptops on sale which are a great bang for the buck, meaning, they have high specs but a price that's a steal!!

See the various models here: http://www.hidevolution.com/specials-1/msi

my pick would be the GP63 as it's small and light yet packs a lot of power.

If you email donald@hidevolution.com you might be able to get a small discount on top of that.

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I'm probably not going to buy in time for this sale, but do they have sales like this often?

View My Build Here

10 minutes ago, seriouschiz said:

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I'm probably not going to buy in time for this sale, but do they have sales like this often?

Not sure bro, just shoot donald@hidevolution.com an email I'm sure they always might have specials. The reason I don't know is because I usually buy the higher end models which at the time I am buying them are always at retail price.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

7 hours ago, seriouschiz said:

Longevity

Performance or reliability?

7 hours ago, seriouschiz said:

Portability: I would want to be able to take this with me so I can do work on the go. A thin-and-light would be nice, but as long as it's not really chunky I'm okay.

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs?

Where are you from? Any preference in battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

A laptop with a Nvidia MX150 and Intel U series processor should be sufficient for your needs. 

I think overall you will be disappointed by going with a thin and light as your only system. I did this for a while and it was horrible. They really dont do anything well. If you expect to do any gaming I would go no lower than a 1050, and at that point your battery life will top out at 4-5 hours real world use. 

For photo editing you aren't going to find a "good" display in your price range.

For upgradeability at best you can hope for non soldered memory and ssd.

For longevity 5 years is an extremely long service interval anymore. I would hope for 5 years, but realistically with today's qc in the market expect more like 2-3 before something dies or the battery life is no longer serviceable.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:28 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Performance or reliability?

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs?

Where are you from? Any preference in battery life?

I'm more concerned about reliability than performance. Like I said, as long as it can run photoshop, illustrator, and basic games, I'm pretty happy with it.

In terms of max weight, I would prefer something lighter, but if I need to I can go heavier. I just don't want something that will look obnoxious in a professional setting.

I'm from the U.S. Battery life doesn't have to be huge. I don't have a problem carrying a charging cable with me.

View My Build Here

On 1/23/2019 at 2:57 PM, markr54632 said:

I think overall you will be disappointed by going with a thin and light as your only system. I did this for a while and it was horrible. They really dont do anything well. If you expect to do any gaming I would go no lower than a 1050, and at that point your battery life will top out at 4-5 hours real world use. 

For photo editing you aren't going to find a "good" display in your price range.

For upgradeability at best you can hope for non soldered memory and ssd.

For longevity 5 years is an extremely long service interval anymore. I would hope for 5 years, but realistically with today's qc in the market expect more like 2-3 before something dies or the battery life is no longer serviceable.

Yeah, I'm beginning to realize that unless I go way over my budget, a thin and light probably won't work. On my desktop, I'm currently running an RX 480 for graphics, which is usually more than enough for the kind of games I play. 

Display I'm not as concerned about because I can always get a monitor if it becomes that big of a problem.

View My Build Here

While I'm here, what are people's thoughts on the HP Spectre x360? Linus gave the 2017 version a pretty stellar review, and he's usually kind of picky when it comes to laptops. Seems to be right around my price range, and really good value.

View My Build Here

24 minutes ago, seriouschiz said:

I would prefer something lighter

Give a range as stated above

24 minutes ago, seriouschiz said:

Battery life doesn't have to be huge

So you don't mind poor battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Give a range as stated above

So you don't mind poor battery life?

I guess let's say up to 6 lbs? I'm not very picky. I just want something that doesn't look like a "gaming laptop" and won't break my back.

And no, I don't mind poor battery life. As long as it can last a couple hours by itself that's fine.

View My Build Here

14 hours ago, seriouschiz said:

I guess let's say up to 6 lbs? I'm not very picky. I just want something that doesn't look like a "gaming laptop" and won't break my back.

And no, I don't mind poor battery life. As long as it can last a couple hours by itself that's fine.

You can actually go for gaming/performance laptop...which one do you prefer, this or regular laptop/Ultrabook?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I think I would prefer a regular laptop/ultrabook, but if you have good examples of gaming laptops that don't obviously look like gaming laptops then I'm all ears.

View My Build Here

The y7000 looks nice if you turn the rgb cancer off.

The acer aspire a515-52g is way below your budget (save it for books, you will need it) has an mx150 for very basic games.

1 hour ago, markr54632 said:

rgb cancer

Y7000 doesn't have RGB, only Y730 (or Y740)

2 hours ago, seriouschiz said:

I think I would prefer a regular laptop/ultrabook, but if you have good examples of gaming laptops that don't obviously look like gaming laptops then I'm all ears.

If you want the best reliability, premium business laptops / mobile workstations are good choices. Unfortunately they also cost more

Dell Precision 7530 (i5-8300H iGPU, 72% NTSC IPS, TB3) is a decent choice, however you need to upgrade RAM/storage by your own and your budget doesn't allow dGPU config (need to use eGPU)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Y7000 doesn't have RGB, only Y730 (or Y740)

If you want the best reliability, premium business laptops / mobile workstations are good choices. Unfortunately they also cost more

Dell Precision 7530 (i5-8300H iGPU, 72% NTSC IPS, TB3) is a decent choice, however you need to upgrade RAM/storage by your own and your budget doesn't allow dGPU config (need to use eGPU)

Well I was mistaken. I was thinking the y730.

You're right the y7000 is white backlit.