Switching main SSD over to new M.2 SSD

minimalist

Is it possible to move everything over without having to do a clean install?  I'll still be using both drives.  

Not sure if anyone can answer this but if I need to install EVGA Precision X1 again, is that going to screw with my overclock and will I have to do the overclock again?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

7 minutes ago, minimalist said:

Is it possible to move everything over without having to do a clean install?  I'll still be using both drives.  

Not sure if anyone can answer this but if I need to install EVGA Precision X1 again, is that going to screw with my overclock and will I have to do the overclock again?

You will need to redo it for a clean install but you can note down the settings for your current overclock and when you reinstall EVGA precision to configure them to the same values.

Edited by W-L

I don't think a re-install is required if the M.2 shows up as a normal empty drive. You can just clone the C drive into that drive using Reflect or some other software. Needs to be a clone, that way you should be able to just unplug the standard ssd and boot from the m.2 to test it.

Thanks!

Chris R.

1 minute ago, Chris_R. said:

I don't think a re-install is required if the M.2 shows up as a normal empty drive. You can just clone the C drive into that drive using Reflect or some other software. Needs to be a clone, that way you should be able to just unplug the standard ssd and boot from the m.2 to test it.

Any downfalls to doing this vs a clean install? 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

3 minutes ago, minimalist said:

Any downfalls to doing this vs a clean install? 

I don't *think* so as you would still have your original C drive, fully bootable if the clone failed. The only downside I would see is if you *need* a clean install because the os is buggy or acting weird...but someone else may think of something too I'm no expert. I just use the clone method for my backups. Drive fails, just pop in the backup and boot..clones are nice for that I've done it alot for files I accidentally deleted.

Thanks!

Chris R.

Just did this exact thing over the weekend. I used Macrium Reflect to clone a 128gb Crucial m4 to a 1tb Hp ex920. I had to extend the partition afterwards to get the full tb of storage, but that's about the only oddball thing I can think of.

Life is a series of compromises which must constantly be reevaluated - My CpuZ

I don't know if it works for other SSD brands, But Samsung has a tool calle "samsung magician" that will clone any boot drive to it's NVME.

used it to upgrade from a OCZ Vertex 4. it went flawlessly and pretty fast. when it was done. just went into the bios, changed boot drive to the NVME drive and done.

my new NVME drive as my C drive with the exact contents of my old drive.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.