High temperature Ryzen 5 2600x with good cooler? Help please.

MemeCream101

Hello so I've had my Ryzen 2600x for a while now and over the past months the temperatures have slowly crept up and now I am starting to worry. I used to have a Cooler Master TX3 EVO temperatures would be at 65 degrees Celsius max in Cinebench and in games, now they are 79 in Cinebench and 72 in games. I bought a new cooler (Cryorig M9a) thinking the old one was the problem but temperatures have not improve much only by like 2 or 3 degrees.. Idle temperatures are around 46 - 56. If any one can help that would be great, thanks.

pc specs.png

72-79c is a pretty average temperature under load so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

If you really are worried I'd try replacing the thermal paste and see if that works.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

72-79c is a pretty average temperature under load so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you..

im just a little worried as i saved up for this and nothing has been going that high until recently, the CPU is rated at 95 TDP and my cooler is 120 TDP so didn't think it should be going that high.

2 minutes ago, MemeCream101 said:

im just a little worried as i saved up for this and nothing has been going that high until recently, the CPU is rated at 95 TDP and my cooler is 120 TDP so didn't think it should be going that high.

It's normal to be worried about that. If you want you could replace the thermal paste and see if that makes a difference.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

It's normal to be worried about that. If you want you could replace the thermal paste and see if that makes a difference.

already tried that with old and new cooler

TDP doesnt include Precision Boost or Turbo boost, also CPU heatsink TDP is marketing.

2 hours ago, MemeCream101 said:

How have you been testing for temps?

TDP isn't very useful for cooler comparisons and there isn't much consistency in how it's measured. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't see anything wrong there, maybe bit high idle temp, but without seeing how much CPU is used, how fast cooler fan is spinning and temp, its hard to say whats the issue, if there is any. Also, how is you case overall fan setup?

TX3 and M9a are both small cooler, I wouldn't call either that good. They are imo about in range of Ryzen stock in terms of temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I don't see anything wrong there, maybe bit high idle temp, but without seeing how much CPU is used, how fast cooler fan is spinning and temp, its hard to say whats the issue, if there is any. Also, how is you case overall fan setup?

TX3 and M9a are both small cooler, I wouldn't call either that good. They are imo about in range of Ryzen stock in terms of temps.

case fans are fine i would say 2 intake, 1 out. my case fans are Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120mm air balance. is there any cooler you would recommend for a good price?

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

How have you been testing for temps?

TDP isn't very useful for cooler comparisons and there isn't much consistency in how it's measured. 

Ive been testing temps using rainbow 6 siege general game play and Cinebench CPU rendering test

Did the ambient temperature of your room increase? That makes a big difference.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 hour ago, MemeCream101 said:

case fans are fine i would say 2 intake, 1 out. my case fans are Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120mm air balance. is there any cooler you would recommend for a good price?

Ok, in that case there's something going on with fan speeds and CPU voltages while system is idle.

Idk what is good price in your mind, but if you would upgrade, do it good.

Tier 6 and up. Though I think you can get good enough results by tweaking fan controls and CPU voltages.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, MemeCream101 said:

Ive been testing temps using rainbow 6 siege general game play and Cinebench CPU rendering test

How long did you test for? If the tests weren't for very long, the heat may not have saturated the system enough to reach cooling equilibrium for actual load temps.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

51 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

How long did you test for? If the tests weren't for very long, the heat may not have saturated the system enough to reach cooling equilibrium for actual load temps.

ive still been playing games on it but when doing cinebench its not for long because it made me worried, what test should i do to reach equilibrium

7 minutes ago, MemeCream101 said:

ive still been playing games on it but when doing cinebench its not for long because it made me worried, what test should i do to reach equilibrium

I like to use OCCT. You should be stress testing until temps stop rising. 

23 hours ago, MemeCream101 said:

Hello so I've had my Ryzen 2600x for a while now and over the past months the temperatures have slowly crept up and now I am starting to worry. I used to have a Cooler Master TX3 EVO temperatures would be at 65 degrees Celsius max in Cinebench and in games, now they are 79 in Cinebench and 72 in games. I bought a new cooler (Cryorig M9a) thinking the old one was the problem but temperatures have not improve much only by like 2 or 3 degrees.. Idle temperatures are around 46 - 56. If any one can help that would be great, thanks.

pc specs.png

So I have the same CPU 2600x, I use Cooler Master 212 Evo and temps at idle are 32c then jumps to 42c for a second (42c due to cores jumping different frequency).  

I started getting high temps at idle last month but found out why somehow my Power Setting changed and I changed Minimum Frequency was at 100% instead of 5%.  Hope that helps.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

1 hour ago, vjizzle2384 said:

So I have the same CPU 2600x, I use Cooler Master 212 Evo and temps at idle are 32c then jumps to 42c for a second (42c due to cores jumping different frequency).  

I started getting high temps at idle last month but found out why somehow my Power Setting changed and I changed Minimum Frequency was at 100% instead of 5%.  Hope that helps.

thanks for the reply how do i change it?

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I like to use OCCT. You should be stress testing until temps stop rising. 

i used OCCT for a bit and it got up to 86 degrees and i dont want to stress it anymore

5 hours ago, MemeCream101 said:

i used OCCT for a bit and it got up to 86 degrees and i dont want to stress it anymore

That's pretty high. Are you using default motherboard settings? How is your case airflow set up?

You're using the M9a, correct? Make sure that the cooler has been tightened evenly in a X-pattern and as tight as you can get it. 

21 hours ago, MemeCream101 said:

thanks for the reply how do i change it?

1. Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
  2. Click Hardware and Sound.
  3. Select Power Options.
  4. Find Processor power management and open the menu for Minimum processor state.
  5. Change the setting to 5%
  6. Change the setting for Maximum to 100%

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384