More Cores or Threads?

In general, is it better to have more cores or more threads for gaming, coding, and game development (unity/unreal)? I know that each may have a different answer but thanks in advance.

Clarification: I am choosing between 2 CPUs, the 8700k and 9700k, one with more cores, and 1 with more threads, and need to know which would be better.  The 8700k has 6 cores 12 threads @ 3.7GHz and the 9700k has 8 cores 8 threads @ 3.6 GHz, and does not have hyperthreading.

Clarification 2: Benchmarks are pretty similar with benchmarking software (~5% difference), but haven't found benches for the games I play as well as compiler and dev engines I use.  

Just comparing core/thread count is nearly useless in making a decision. Just check for benchmarks of a CPU to determine if it is a good choice for your machine.

Of course more cores/threads is preferred, but if your use case (such as gaming) takes advantage of single core speed more getting a lower core count might be worth it in the end.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

get more core and threads. for game development, you can also use Virtual Machine to test your game in multiple OS / Environment, you can assign a dedicated core for each vm running. Threads usually counted the same as core in VM.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Just comparing core/thread count is nearly useless in making a decision. Just check for benchmarks of a CPU to determine if it is a good choice for your machine.

Of course more cores/threads is preferred, but if your use case (such as gaming) takes advantage of single core speed more getting a lower core count might be worth it in the end.

Benchmarks are pretty similar with benchmarking software (~5% difference), but haven't found benches for the games I play as well as compiler and dev engines I use.  Adding to main post for clarification.

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

get more core and threads. for game development, you can also use Virtual Machine to test your game in multiple OS / Environment, you can assign a dedicated core for each vm running. Threads usually counted the same as core in VM.

Asking about getting more of one or the other, not both.

5 minutes ago, Londoge said:

Asking about getting more of one or the other, not both.

Well the only modern core/thread count comparisons are i7 7700k vs i5 8600k/9600k or i7 8700k vs i7 9700k. Don't buy a 7700k unless you're replacing a 6th or 7th gen CPU and don't want to buy a new motherboard and found a better deal on a used CPU. 

However, all your problems would basically be solved by getting a Ryzen 7 2700 or something. 8 cores and 16 threads doesn't really have a competitor for value oriented workstation loads. It's as cheap as an i5 8600k and has serious multithreaded muscle. Since there's no 10 core 10 thread CPU then you've got no reason to worry.

Another thing to note is that AMD and Intel have different implementation of multithreaded technologies, AMD's SMT is different from hyperthreading, programs take to each in a different way.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You can't get anymore than 2 threads per core. And there's no 1 core 12 threads.

It's not really benificial for the gamer to have more threads, as most games are not (yet) optimized for multicore.

Now for developer it is better to have more logical processors (threads) for the reason i'm explained above.

If core count are not similar, say one cpu have 8 cores, the other have 4 cores 8 threads, its better to have the first one.

But comparing say 8 core vs 6 cores + 12 threads, well i prefer the 6 core.

But in the times where you can get 16 threads for just $250, why choose the lower one?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You're not going to compare fairly if you're not going to say which CPUs you're considering.  Part of the conversation should be speed.  Part of the conversation is probably cost.  For all we know we are talking about a 4 core 8 thread CPU vs an 8 core 8 thread CPU.  However, if that is the case then the 8 core is most likely better considering one assumes it's the current top i7 versus some weaker Intel offering.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can't get anymore than 2 threads per core

Rare exception: the Knight's landing 64 core 256 thread Xeon phi that Linus reviewed a while back

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

26 minutes ago, Londoge said:

In general, is it better to have more cores or more threads for gaming, coding, and game development (unity/unreal)? I know that each may have a different answer but thanks in advance.

Clarification: I am choosing between 2 CPUs, one with more cores, and 1 with more threads, and need to know which would be better.  I am NOT saying which CPUs intentionally to avoid bias. 

Clarification 2: Benchmarks are pretty similar with benchmarking software (~5% difference), but haven't found benches for the games I play as well as compiler and dev engines I use.  

well the clock speed of those cores and threads comes into this as well so this doesnt really give us all the info we need

I believe it's ARM CPUs that might have more than 2 threads per core.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I think it highly depends on the type of workload and the design of the processor itself. Modern, high-performance processors often have duplicated execution resources to take on multiple instructions at once. You can have workloads that can't fill this up and workloads that can. Simultaneous multithreading is to take advantage of the former, allowing another thread to use the unused execution resources.

So if you are running a task that takes few execution resources on a "wide" processor (one with many execution resources), then more threads would definitely benefit much better than more cores. Conversely, if you have a task that takes a lot of execution resources on a "narrow" processor, then more cores is better. Though you could probably just take out the processor design bit and get the same conclusion.

17 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

well the clock speed of those cores and threads comes into this as well so this doesnt really give us all the info we need

Added to original post, along with core/thread counts.

5 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I think it highly depends on the type of workload and the design of the processor itself. Modern, high-performance processors often have duplicated execution resources to take on multiple instructions at once. You can have workloads that can't fill this up and workloads that can. Simultaneous multithreading is to take advantage of the former, allowing another thread to use the unused execution resources.

So if you are running a task that takes few execution resources on a "wide" processor (one with many execution resources), then more threads would definitely benefit much better than more cores. Conversely, if you have a task that takes a lot of execution resources on a "narrow" processor, then more cores is better. Though you could probably just take out the processor design bit and get the same conclusion.

The workload would be gaming and code compiling mostly.  For the coding aspect, the number of execution resources is going to vary greatly depending on the program I am developing.

23 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

8 cores and 16 threads

How...quaint

(Pats my 20 core/40 thread Xeon system lovingly)

I'm just giving you a hard time :)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

24 minutes ago, nick name said:

You're not going to compare fairly if you're not going to say which CPUs you're considering.  Part of the conversation should be speed.  Part of the conversation is probably cost.  For all we know we are talking about a 4 core 8 thread CPU vs an 8 core 8 thread CPU.  However, if that is the case then the 8 core is most likely better considering one assumes it's the current top i7 versus some weaker Intel offering.  

You're probably right.  I added my choices to the original post.

For workloads that don't need or can't use massive numbers of threads, no-HT is more predictable in performance.

For a multi-thread capable workload, you have to work out how much threads are worth compared to cores. Take a simplistic case, as it scales up from there. One core one thread vs one core two threads. It depends on the application.

Some applications see zero % difference e.g. Prime95 like heavy AVX usage where not ram bandwidth bound. That is, HT has zero benefit in this case. It can actually have negative benefit in the sense power consumption goes up, but you do no more useful work.

Some applications see a good boost. Cinebench R15 would be an example of this category. That has about 30% boost from having HT/SMT compared to not. Roughly speaking, a 6c12t CPU would equal a 8c8t CPU.

Some exceptional cases might see 50% or greater boost from HT/SMT but the only ones I know of currently are synthetic benchmarks.

So to decide you need to work out how your use cases scale with HT/SMT to decide if it is worth it. Also you can't negate other considerations, like operating clock and other system limitations like ram bandwidth.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

How...quaint

(Pats my 20 core/40 thread Xeon system lovingly)

I'm just giving you a hard time :)

Nice system you got there man

1 minute ago, Londoge said:

The workload would be gaming and code compiling mostly.  For the coding aspect, the number of execution resources is going to vary greatly depending on the program I am developing.

In a general use case then, if the total amount of threads are limited, then it's better to have more cores. That is, an 8C/8T processor is better than a 4C/8T processor.

1 minute ago, Londoge said:

Nice system you got there man

Thanks, I was tired of the upgrade treadmill, so I went all out...

Helps not being a gamer, so I don't have to chase the Gigahertz train

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Ok, my last reply was written before I saw the OP edit. Knowing the actual CPUs, I'd go 9700k for my uses, as it'll be more predictable and still equal or exceed the 8700k in most cases. Also note the all core turbo is what you need to compare if you're making use of all available resources. The 8700k is only 4.3 GHz, whereas the 9700k is 4.6 GHz.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Have you checked Puget System's site to see if they have any benches for the programs you use?  

On 1/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, Londoge said:

Clarification: I am choosing between 2 CPUs, the 8700k and 9700k, one with more cores, and 1 with more threads, and need to know which would be better.  The 8700k has 6 cores 12 threads @ 3.7GHz and the 9700k has 8 cores 8 threads @ 3.6 GHz, and does not have hyperthreading.

think of the 9700k v 8700k like an 8600k v a 7700k its basically the same performance gap for the other CPUs so how ever much the difference is from the 8600k and the 7700k its probably very close to the difference between the 8700k and 9700k