Question about getting a new GPU (mid-tier)

kirnale

Hello guys!

I have some questions regarding buying a new GPU:

1. I have a i5-4460 CPU, is it good enough for a gtx 1060 6gb or will my CPU bottleneck me? My current GPU is gtx 770 2gb, but it isn't strong enough to run kingdom come deliverance without going super loud and hot even at the lowest settings (around 80°C with maximum fan power). So I was thinking to get the one that most people use, the gtx 1060.

2. What brand should i get? Current cheapest is INNO3D with two fans for 199€ (with a fortnite code(counterattack)). Is INNO3D good enough? (Link: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/products_id/417172 )

3. But before everything, what is the current best timing to buy a new one? Should I wait until new GPU (the rumored 1660 ti) releases or is now a better time to get a 1060?

4. I am willing to pay up to 220€~, maybe a little more if there is some huge jump in performance for that extra money. Is 1060 worth it or do you think I should get another one?

Thanks in advance!

Current setup:

UserBenchmarks: Game 49%, Desk 49%, Work 36%

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 - 69.4%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 - 51.3%
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 583.5%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2011) - 54.6%
HDD: Samsung HD200HJ 200GB - 48.9%
RAM: Kingston 9905403-149.A00LF 0215 CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 9905403-149.A00LF KHX1866C10D3/4G 16GB - 52.5%
MBD: Asrock Z87 Pro3

6 minutes ago, kirnale said:

Should I wait until new GPU (the rumored 1660 ti) releases

Honestly it's too far off to wait for more GPUs, a used GTX 1060 from eBay is probably your best bet. Alternatively, an RX 580, usually cheaper.

Also, your CPU is on the old side, a little low end so your PC might bottleneck in some titles (although Kingdom Come Deliverance is very GPU heavy iirc so it would help a lot there). You can BCLK overclock as well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hard to say for sure. I have an i5 3580 and I know that it is infact a bottle neck for my 1080ti. Nothing major though because I always use Vsync. You would probably be okay to upgrade, but you're probably gonna want to upgrade that CPU soonish.

Thats actually the exact scenario I'm in right now. I'm waiting on my ryzen 7 to show up Saturday.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

An RX 580 8gb is really good value for 1080p gaming, and its about $200 USD (it should be around 200 euros, too). If you have the money after getting an RX 580, consider buying an i7-4790k if you can.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

Hard to say for sure. I have an i5 3580 and I know that it is infact a bottle neck for my 1080ti. Nothing major though because I always use Vsync. You would probably be okay to upgrade, but you're probably gonna want to upgrade that CPU soonish.

Thats actually the exact scenario I'm in right now. I'm waiting on my ryzen 7 to show up Saturday.

wait you have a 1080Ti and i5 3580? I'm curious about the reasoning behind the pair.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

wait you have a 1080Ti and i5 3580? I'm curious about the reasoning behind the pair.

Only reasoning being that I upgraded the GPU before I upgraded the CPU.

The thing is older than the galaxy itself at this point and I am extremely excited to get rid of it.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Yes, the cpu can limit your gpu a bit in some games, but that shouldn't stop you from buying it.

No, I wouldn't wait for a potential 1660ti - i sincerely doubt nvidia's gonna release more products in the 16xx family. They're more likely to release a RTX 2050 before they do that.

If you're not a nVidia fan boy, a RX 580 would make more sense. It's higher performance in majority of games compared to 1060 from nVidia and they're relatively cheap. 

That site you mention has a Powercolor RX 580 8GB version for 199 euro but i'm not sure what that 30 euro ersparsnis is : https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/pc+hardware/grafikkarten+pc+hardware/amdati/rx+580/powercolor+radeon+rx+580+red+dragon+v2+8gb+gddr5+grafikkarte

There's also a Gigabyte model there for 219 euro without that ersparsnis bit : https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/pc+hardware/grafikkarten+pc+hardware/amdati/rx+580/gigabyte+radeon+rx+580+gaming+8g+8gb+gddr5+grafikkarte

Just now, dj_ripcord said:

Only reasoning being that I upgraded the GPU before I upgraded the CPU.

The thing is older than the galaxy itself at this point and I am extremely excited to get rid of it.

Ohhh. I did the same exact thing lolol, I have my A8-6600k and 1070Ti. I only play csgo so it doesn't really matter, I'm waiting on the 9700k to go back in stock from the vendor I'm buying from.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes, the cpu can limit your gpu a bit in some games, but that shouldn't stop you from buying it.

No, I wouldn't wait for a potential 1660ti - i sincerely doubt nvidia's gonna release more products in the 16xx family. They're more likely to release a RTX 2050 before they do that.

If you're not a nVidia fan boy, a RX 580 would make more sense. It's higher performance in majority of games compared to 1060 from nVidia and they're relatively cheap. 

That site you mention has a Powercolor RX 580 8GB version for 199 euro but i'm not sure what that 30 euro ersparsnis is : https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/pc+hardware/grafikkarten+pc+hardware/amdati/rx+580/powercolor+radeon+rx+580+red+dragon+v2+8gb+gddr5+grafikkarte

There's also a Gigabyte model there for 219 euro without that ersparsnis bit : https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/pc+hardware/grafikkarten+pc+hardware/amdati/rx+580/gigabyte+radeon+rx+580+gaming+8g+8gb+gddr5+grafikkarte

I have heard the rx 580 is very loud so I avoided it. Not sure if that is true or not, but my current gpu is definitely too loud.

Is the gigabyte model worth the extra €?

Ersparnis means money saved. The price has been lowered due to "Nvidia performance day".

No, they're not really loud. All parts dynamically adjust their fan speeds depending on how much they're used.

When in windows or playing light games, they won't even spin their fans.

When you're gaming, would you really care? You're gonna have headphones or speakers on so you wouldn't hear the graphics card anyway. But it's not gonna be loud.

Differences... I think it would be worth spending a bit more for the Gigabyte model, it's not that much more of a difference. I like the customized fans on the Gigabyte model.

The Powercolor card is ~ 255 mm long, the Gigabyte is shorter at ~232 mm  so the Gigabyte would be better for smaller cases (or cases that have hard drive compartments where the video card would be). There's really not much benefit to the longer length for the Powercolor card, the cooler doesn't extend to the whole length of the card. My guess is they just made it longer to potentially use cheaper parts (that are bigger in size) on the board. The GB model is probably reference design for the circuit board, or very close to that.

The Gigabyte card has slightly better fans, and those grooves on the fans help with noise reduction, the noise profile should be a tiny bit better on the GG card compared to Powercolor.

Other than this, both should have the same performance, same gpu frequencies, same memory frequencies, probably memory chips from same manufacturer and series, driver comes from AMD so really... not much different.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, they're not really loud. All parts dynamically adjust their fan speeds depending on how much they're used.

When in windows or playing light games, they won't even spin their fans.

When you're gaming, would you really care? You're gonna have headphones or speakers on so you wouldn't hear the graphics card anyway. But it's not gonna be loud.

Differences... I think it would be worth spending a bit more for the Gigabyte model, it's not that much more of a difference. I like the customized fans on the Gigabyte model.

The Powercolor card is ~ 255 mm long, the Gigabyte is shorter at ~232 mm  so the Gigabyte would be better for smaller cases (or cases that have hard drive compartments where the video card would be). There's really not much benefit to the longer length for the Powercolor card, the cooler doesn't extend to the whole length of the card. My guess is they just made it longer to potentially use cheaper parts (that are bigger in size) on the board. The GB model is probably reference design for the circuit board, or very close to that.

The Gigabyte card has slightly better fans, and those grooves on the fans help with noise reduction, the noise profile should be a tiny bit better on the GG card compared to Powercolor.

Other than this, both should have the same performance, same gpu frequencies, same memory frequencies, probably memory chips from same manufacturer and series, driver comes from AMD so really... not much different.

Thank you for your answer.

Glad it's not gonna be loud. I tend to play at night, so I can't have a loud pc. I dislike using headphone for many reasons, and tend to set my speaker at low volume in order not to distrub someone. So a loud GPU can be pretty disturbing for me. I will think maybe I will get the GB AMD model, or going for a 1060 after all. But I'm not really sure which one is better, both have the same prices, and are around the same performance(?), at least according to UserBenchmark and some research.

That being all said, I am still not very sure if I should wait for new GPU releases, so the older ones gets lower pricing. I save where I can, because I plan to upgrade my CPU in the near future too. I would be very happy if I can play with 60 fps at medium setting for most games.

Hardware Unboxed recently did a benchmark with 36 games with the most common cards these days RTX 2060, 2070, 2080, the Vega cards, RX 570, 580 and 590 and the GTX 1060 3GB and 6GB and 1070ti :

You can see that at 1440p (a bit more than 1080p), the RX 580 is above the 1060 6GB in most (if not all, I didn't check thoroughly) games. At 1080p, the difference between them will probably reduce, so they'd have about the same performance, but I still think it's better to have a 8GB card instead of a 6 GB card for near future. 

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Hardware Unboxed recently did a benchmark with 36 games with the most common cards these days RTX 2060, 2070, 2080, the Vega cards, RX 570, 580 and 590 and the GTX 1060 3GB and 6GB and 1070ti :

You can see that at 1440p (a bit more than 1080p), the RX 580 is above the 1060 6GB in most (if not all, I didn't check thoroughly) games. At 1080p, the difference between them will probably reduce, so they'd have about the same performance, but I still think it's better to have a 8GB card instead of a 6 GB card for near future. 

That's a very nice video to see the comparison. Now I only need to know if it is worth buying now or at a later time. What is your personal opition on this? Sry for the questions^^