Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrMacintosh

2016-18 MacBook Pros are suffering from "Flexgate"

Now, I actually don't give a sh*t about Apple but I mean they are the "richest" tech Company in the world but still can't manage to release at least one product that has no flaws. I mean, who are their engineers ? Fricking Geniuses ?

Don't know about you lot, but I think it is extremely courageous of Apple to ask people to buy their broken shite year after year.

Trust us. This model has fixed everything.

/// POLICE ASSAULT IN PROGRESS ///

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Obviously it's because they're new products are riddled with so many issues nobody wants to buy them so they all just shuffle around with older better built models and that keeps the resale value high.

Fast check from Finnish sites and Macbook Pro Touch bars go for 1000-2500€ (example: 2016 13" 256GB which is already having some display problems: 1400€). On the side note, people are interested about 2009-2010 MBP 13" which costs 40€, SSD and the lid screws are missing and it seems like it's prime days were back when it was bought and after that it has gone to hell and back and forgot it's lunchbox to hell and went to get it back (straight said, it's rubbish and if it wasn't MBP you would need to pay someone to get rid of it).

r/crappydesign

I once wrote a fan fiction between Luke and Dennis for Luke on one of his streams, he never read it, I SPENT 15MIN ON THAT!!!! (read it here: test1.docx )

and i am also the man who asked Linus to set his profile pic on twitter to something awesome: https://twitter.com/samiscool51/status/758526342396715009

(i didn't expect him to reply, nor for it to turn into official merchandise and actually affect LTT's video style!!!! i am god!!!) 

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ2cQV

Anyone reading this is a very nosy wanker....

I wish all manufacturers would stop with this  "excessively thin" business and start making durable products again.  It not healthy for supermodels and it's not healthy for portable devices.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

that's a loophole Apple should close

Non authorised people shouldn't be allowed to resell Macbooks without Apple's explicit consent 

I am sure you just forgot the /s

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I am sure you just forgot the /s

yes... yes.

i forgot

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Just an FYI, in the repair business that's called spotlighting, not "stage lighting".

It isn't caused by the cabling, it's caused by an issue internal to the LCD panel itself. I've seen this on hundreds of different laptops from different OEM's (out of the few thousand repairs I've done), I've yet to see a single one where the cable was in any way related. All of them were fixed by replacing the panel itself, not the cable.

And this is fairly common across all OEM's as far as I know.

I hate to defend apple in any way because I have zero respect for them, but the source is completely inaccurate in blaming the cable. At best, the control board at the bottom of the panel flexes too much and causes this issue, if that were the case, a sturdier cable would actually increase the problem as it would cause the control board to flex more.

Chances are the cable "Can't be repaired" because the only way Apple will give you a new cable is by sending out a new panel entirely.

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Just an FYI, in the repair business that's called spotlighting, not "stage lighting".

It isn't caused by the cabling, it's caused by an issue internal to the LCD panel itself. I've seen this on hundreds of different laptops from different OEM's (out of the few thousand repairs I've done), I've yet to see a single one where the cable was in any way related. All of them were fixed by replacing the panel itself, not the cable.

And this is fairly common across all OEM's as far as I know.

I hate to defend apple in any way because I have zero respect for them, but the source is completely inaccurate in blaming the cable. At best, the control board at the bottom of the panel flexes too much and causes this issue, if that were the case, a sturdier cable would actually increase the problem as it would cause the control board to flex more.

Chances are the cable "Can't be repaired" because the only way Apple will give you a new cable is by sending out a new panel entirely.

Not in a flexure of the cable itself, but Louis Rossman showed a live repair of something very similar like this where he simply reattached (and secured) the display cable. Not sure why the backlight itself is acting differently in this case... but yeah.

I can try to find the sauce on that video, but I do distinctly remember it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

rip. i suppose gone are the days of Apple making MacBooks that can still work fine after 8+ years. 

Or after you beat the everliving hell out of them

IMG_20190112_125428_214.thumb.jpg.7b323fa78122be0cbe6cf96e0232cd60.jpg

IMG_20190112_122631_423.thumb.jpg.cbc63c818041f024d4f02387bd6283ec.jpg

IMG_20190112_141948_434.thumb.jpg.e13f3d1019f8689809f62fa3c1f6567f.jpg

IMG_20190112_140738_272.thumb.jpg.07329daae3fb0b7cad219447b1b11c3a.jpg

Form over function strikes again.

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not in a flexure of the cable itself, but Louis Rossman showed a live repair of something very similar like this where he simply reattached (and secured) the display cable. Not sure why the backlight itself is acting differently in this case... but yeah.

I can try to find the sauce on that video, but I do distinctly remember it.

Louis cannot repair this defect. The only repair solution is an entire display assembly replacement. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: i5 4690k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-N WI-FI | RAM: 8GB Ballistix Sport | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Corsair H55 AiO | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

No matter what causes the issue, which everything points to the cable failing, then the result is still a $600 panel replacement. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: i5 4690k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-N WI-FI | RAM: 8GB Ballistix Sport | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Corsair H55 AiO | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Louis cannot repair this defect. The only repair solution is an entire display assembly replacement. 

I'm not saying he can. I was just mentioning that a somewhat similar thing showed up where part of the connector wasn't connecting properly or something like that.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Once again, this is the single shittiest redesign I've seen for the MacBook Pro.

Keyboards that don't work after just a few specks of dust and now a display that is likely to fail after a certain number of opening/closing cycles. What's next, burnt-out capacitors?

And what is all of this for? A few millimeters in shaved thickness? Get a grip...

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

Weird flex but ok.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

I wish all manufacturers would stop with this  "excessively thin" business and start making durable products again.  It not healthy for supermodels and it's not healthy for portable devices.

its not like the Apple devices are screaming innovation with their thinnes. as to why they do stuff in the sake of making it a mm thinner is beyond me. as the latest steps to making it thinner havent been well received. 

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its not like the Apple devices are screaming innovation with their thinnes. as to why they do stuff in the sake of making it a mm thinner is beyond me. as the latest steps to making it thinner havent been well received. 

I know right, and it's not just apple that are dong this nor just the pursuit of thinness,  in efforts to make cheaper laptops cheaper they are starting to thin out the amount of metal in the frames resulting in broken screens from too much flex when being opened. . 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

ikr.. my brick of a 2011 15" MBP is still thin enough for me.. weight is another story but in terms of thickness it's more than fine.

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012: I5 3210M HD4000 | 1 TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS Mojave

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011: I7 2675QM HD3000 | 500 GB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS High Sierra

Gaming PC: I5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 512GB SSD TOTAL | 16GB RAM Windows 10

18 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

because thinkpads never have issues do they? 

oh wait

You could not find faults in new thinkpads and give us link to the 12 year old thinkpad? :D

They leaned many things after those failures and create much better laptops. T420 is a leggend! Last thinkpad with the best keyboard out of the box. You can replace keyboard for older 7 raw ones in t430/t430s/x230 but starting from *40 models you are stuck with newer keyboards. They are not bad but older are much better.

Overall apple had many probems, GPU failures, Lies about unibody macs when in reality they were 2 parts glued together which eventually broke because glue was used where fans blowed hot air. Here is full list. Now go back to your google search and find me this much thinkpad failures. Thing is apple does this intentionally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

The software said "install windows 10 or better" so i installed LINUX

1 minute ago, mate_mate91 said:

You could not find faults in new thinkpads and give us link to the 12 year old thinkpad? :D

i'm sure i could find a few. i'm just lazy. i googled thinkpad gpu faillue and that's what came up.

DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! 

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012: I5 3210M HD4000 | 1 TB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS Mojave

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011: I7 2675QM HD3000 | 500 GB SSD | 16GB RAM | macOS High Sierra

Gaming PC: I5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 512GB SSD TOTAL | 16GB RAM Windows 10

My MBP 15 2017's warranty was over almost a month ago

Reading this isn't gonna be good for my heart

PC Rig: Scarlet Knight MKII

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K (5GHz@1.36V-- Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 -- RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4-2133 16GB (2x8GB) 

SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G 80 Plus Gold 750W -- Case: Golden Field Z2

Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2414H -- Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red -- Mouse: Logitech G102 Prodigy

Soundcard: ASUS STRIX RAID PRO (ESS SABRE 9006A Premiere DAC)

Phone: LG G7 ThinQ

Camera: Sony A7R Mark 3 + FE 85 1.8

Laptop: ASUS Zenbook 14 UX433 (Core i5 8265U + 8GB LPDDR3 + 256GB NVMe SSD + Intel UHD 620)