2016-18 MacBook Pros are suffering from "Flexgate"

DrMacintosh
1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Obviously it's because they're new products are riddled with so many issues nobody wants to buy them so they all just shuffle around with older better built models and that keeps the resale value high.

Fast check from Finnish sites and Macbook Pro Touch bars go for 1000-2500€ (example: 2016 13" 256GB which is already having some display problems: 1400€). On the side note, people are interested about 2009-2010 MBP 13" which costs 40€, SSD and the lid screws are missing and it seems like it's prime days were back when it was bought and after that it has gone to hell and back and forgot it's lunchbox to hell and went to get it back (straight said, it's rubbish and if it wasn't MBP you would need to pay someone to get rid of it).

I wish all manufacturers would stop with this  "excessively thin" business and start making durable products again.  It not healthy for supermodels and it's not healthy for portable devices.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

that's a loophole Apple should close

Non authorised people shouldn't be allowed to resell Macbooks without Apple's explicit consent 

I am sure you just forgot the /s

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I am sure you just forgot the /s

yes... yes.

i forgot

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just an FYI, in the repair business that's called spotlighting, not "stage lighting".

It isn't caused by the cabling, it's caused by an issue internal to the LCD panel itself. I've seen this on hundreds of different laptops from different OEM's (out of the few thousand repairs I've done), I've yet to see a single one where the cable was in any way related. All of them were fixed by replacing the panel itself, not the cable.

And this is fairly common across all OEM's as far as I know.

I hate to defend apple in any way because I have zero respect for them, but the source is completely inaccurate in blaming the cable. At best, the control board at the bottom of the panel flexes too much and causes this issue, if that were the case, a sturdier cable would actually increase the problem as it would cause the control board to flex more.

Chances are the cable "Can't be repaired" because the only way Apple will give you a new cable is by sending out a new panel entirely.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Just an FYI, in the repair business that's called spotlighting, not "stage lighting".

It isn't caused by the cabling, it's caused by an issue internal to the LCD panel itself. I've seen this on hundreds of different laptops from different OEM's (out of the few thousand repairs I've done), I've yet to see a single one where the cable was in any way related. All of them were fixed by replacing the panel itself, not the cable.

And this is fairly common across all OEM's as far as I know.

I hate to defend apple in any way because I have zero respect for them, but the source is completely inaccurate in blaming the cable. At best, the control board at the bottom of the panel flexes too much and causes this issue, if that were the case, a sturdier cable would actually increase the problem as it would cause the control board to flex more.

Chances are the cable "Can't be repaired" because the only way Apple will give you a new cable is by sending out a new panel entirely.

Not in a flexure of the cable itself, but Louis Rossman showed a live repair of something very similar like this where he simply reattached (and secured) the display cable. Not sure why the backlight itself is acting differently in this case... but yeah.

I can try to find the sauce on that video, but I do distinctly remember it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

rip. i suppose gone are the days of Apple making MacBooks that can still work fine after 8+ years. 

Or after you beat the everliving hell out of them

IMG_20190112_125428_214.thumb.jpg.7b323fa78122be0cbe6cf96e0232cd60.jpg

IMG_20190112_122631_423.thumb.jpg.cbc63c818041f024d4f02387bd6283ec.jpg

IMG_20190112_141948_434.thumb.jpg.e13f3d1019f8689809f62fa3c1f6567f.jpg

IMG_20190112_140738_272.thumb.jpg.07329daae3fb0b7cad219447b1b11c3a.jpg

Form over function strikes again.

8 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not in a flexure of the cable itself, but Louis Rossman showed a live repair of something very similar like this where he simply reattached (and secured) the display cable. Not sure why the backlight itself is acting differently in this case... but yeah.

I can try to find the sauce on that video, but I do distinctly remember it.

Louis cannot repair this defect. The only repair solution is an entire display assembly replacement. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

22 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

No matter what causes the issue, which everything points to the cable failing, then the result is still a $600 panel replacement. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Louis cannot repair this defect. The only repair solution is an entire display assembly replacement. 

I'm not saying he can. I was just mentioning that a somewhat similar thing showed up where part of the connector wasn't connecting properly or something like that.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Once again, this is the single shittiest redesign I've seen for the MacBook Pro.

Keyboards that don't work after just a few specks of dust and now a display that is likely to fail after a certain number of opening/closing cycles. What's next, burnt-out capacitors?

And what is all of this for? A few millimeters in shaved thickness? Get a grip...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Let's just make the iBook anniversary edition.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Weird flex but ok.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

A MacBook should be admired for the beautiful craftsmanship. The display distracts you from the a e s t h e t i c s.

Apple solved it for you.

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

I wish all manufacturers would stop with this  "excessively thin" business and start making durable products again.  It not healthy for supermodels and it's not healthy for portable devices.

its not like the Apple devices are screaming innovation with their thinnes. as to why they do stuff in the sake of making it a mm thinner is beyond me. as the latest steps to making it thinner havent been well received. 

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its not like the Apple devices are screaming innovation with their thinnes. as to why they do stuff in the sake of making it a mm thinner is beyond me. as the latest steps to making it thinner havent been well received. 

I know right, and it's not just apple that are dong this nor just the pursuit of thinness,  in efforts to make cheaper laptops cheaper they are starting to thin out the amount of metal in the frames resulting in broken screens from too much flex when being opened. . 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

ikr.. my brick of a 2011 15" MBP is still thin enough for me.. weight is another story but in terms of thickness it's more than fine.

She/Her

18 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

because thinkpads never have issues do they? 

oh wait

You could not find faults in new thinkpads and give us link to the 12 year old thinkpad? :D

They leaned many things after those failures and create much better laptops. T420 is a leggend! Last thinkpad with the best keyboard out of the box. You can replace keyboard for older 7 raw ones in t430/t430s/x230 but starting from *40 models you are stuck with newer keyboards. They are not bad but older are much better.

Overall apple had many probems, GPU failures, Lies about unibody macs when in reality they were 2 parts glued together which eventually broke because glue was used where fans blowed hot air. Here is full list. Now go back to your google search and find me this much thinkpad failures. Thing is apple does this intentionally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

1 minute ago, mate_mate91 said:

You could not find faults in new thinkpads and give us link to the 12 year old thinkpad? :D

i'm sure i could find a few. i'm just lazy. i googled thinkpad gpu faillue and that's what came up.

She/Her

My MBP 15 2017's warranty was over almost a month ago

Reading this isn't gonna be good for my heart

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

2 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

My MBP 15 2017's warranty was over almost a month ago

Reading this isn't gonna be good for my heart

they will probably release a replacement program. either that or they get sued and then release a replacement program xD

She/Her

18 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Now, I actually don't give a sh*t about Apple but I mean they are the "richest" tech Company in the world but still can't manage to release at least one product that has no flaws. I mean, who are their engineers ? Fricking Geniuses ?

They are richest company not because they have geniuse engineers, but because they have genius marketologists and shameless engineers.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.