Should we allow Wondershare advertising on our forum?

LinusTech

Just... no. Get rid of Adblock. You're not supporting Linus in any way by using Adblock. You are effectively hurting his business. 

He doesn't have to get rid of AdBlock completely.  He can just disable it on sites that he regularly visits/determines are not malicious.  People think AdBlock is completely useless for anything other than ads, but it can also be a good security tool.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Some interesting comments in here. I'll address a couple of them.

1. We can't only run advertising for products that I personally use. I don't really use much stuff. I'm just one person.

2. We don't want to just rely on advertising from PC hardware companies. Over the long term we'd like to rely *LESS* on them as our primary/only source of revenue because it will generate fewer questions about our credibility and integrity.

3. The Linus Tech Tips forum is no longer a drain on my personal finances. For the first 9-10 months it was, but we ran First Blood (thank you so much to all the contributors) and that covered the initial setup cost with some leftover that has carried us since then. With that said, adblock takes money away from websites and content creators and it's pretty hurtful for me to hear people saying "lol I don't care. adblock ftw." when I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to monetize the website in a way that doesn't bother our users.

My general thoughts on ads are thus.

1. Adds need to be topic appropriate, this is a tech site, no adds for penis enlargement, condoms, food products, TV shows, click here for your prize etc

2. Adds should not inhibit the user experience, that is I don't want audio/video playing in the background, I don't want flashing adds that give me a headache, and I don't want to have to watch adds to switch pages

3. Banner adds in the middle of a thread  (between two posts) are OK if its only one per page

4. Adds for companies sponsoring the WAN, show/LTT videos, etc should get higher priority/visibility

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

If we are talking specifically about this company and their products, it doesn't look bad. They do have some free software to download youtube videos which is kind of against what you do... so not sure if that is good or not.

I checked out their site, now I haven't downloaded anything, but to be honest, I did not see any feature that compels me to buy it. Only thing I found interesting was the recovery software for iOS and Android devices, but even then I would rather go looking for something free.

The site has a few reviews from CNET (I know not really reliable), but if someone actually decides to purchase from them, would be awesome to give a review here.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

http://www.wondershare.com/

Hey Guys,

They reached out and honestly I don't have any experience with their software. I don't want junkware advertised on this site (in fact we try to keep advertising mostly off the site in general) so I want to know what you guys think.

Linus

I would rather see ads from companies I buy stuff from, like Corsair, Fractal, Gigabyte, Noctua and so on. I don't know if it is perhaps have the images hosted here and open an affiliate link to the advertiser, so we know we can trust them not to get compromised like so many advertisement services do (auto-loading black-hat SEO spyware etc).

Something I just thought about: an idea for a techquickie video, would be "how do I disable adblock on sites I trust?" Maybe more people would think "I could disable ads for Linus" if they were given a friendly nudge in the direction of the "disable on this site" button.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I don't mind ads, as long as its not some of those

"12 singles ready to mingle in your area!" Or one of those ads that take up your whole screen with no exit button on it.

A good example of ads done right is Johnny Guru's website. All the ads there are mainly of power supplies, since they review power supplies. Ive never seen an ad that isnt about pc hardware. I don't know what program they use for ads though.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

As long as the adverts are suited to the site, then I have no problem with advertising, so long as it is not obtrusive or has sound.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used their products. I don't want ads for stuff that isn't good...

They're actually pretty decent, I use them a fair bit. Some of their services. They have things like video players and URL based video downloading for *legitimate* reasons. I don't use any of them, but Wondershare video converter Ultimate is one of my favourite, if the favourite video converters I've used. So many formats, even formats tailored for specific devices. Not just iPhone either, a whole range of popular android devices. I think that their video converting software is excellent, I haven't really tried much of their other stuff though

EDIT: Oh, and adblock sucks for the forum, messes with the formatting of the site. Adblock free FTW

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I don't use apple products or software so I don't know anything about them.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Wondershare Dr.Phone For Android is an ok program .

How ever it will recover msgs but it will only show you what You sent not received .

5/5 from me due to this.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

3....With that said, adblock takes money away from websites and content creators and it's pretty hurtful for me to hear people saying "lol I don't care. adblock ftw." when I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to monetize the website in a way that doesn't bother our users.

Speaking of which, I wish you had a rant series like TechnoBulffalo

I'm pretty sure you've got lots to say.

My thoughts on Wondershare: Have it advertise and anyone using it to maybe put it through some Members review thread. If it's good keep it, if not, trash it.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I've used their DATA recovery and PDF Tools because they were on CNET... The DATA Recovery SUCKED! The PDF Tools were OK. But remember this was in 2012 or so , so maybe they improved.

Also DAT Nyan Admn Madge you have there linus... Very Hetrosexual!

Interested in Business and Technology

Just... no. Get rid of Adblock. You're not supporting Linus in any way by using Adblock. You are effectively hurting his business. 

I've yet to see an ad on here with/without Adblock. I run Adblock for a multitude of reasons. It isn't hurting his bottom line as far as I know.

As to this thread:

It is up to you Linus. Personally I think ads would detract from the site and clutter stuff up. And a lot of people will just run Adblock anyhow so it won't do that much good. I think you are better off going the donation route that you are implementing currently.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Sorry, but some websites are overkill when it comes to ads, whitelist the ones you want to support, but I'll never get rid of it

I've yet to see an ad on here with/without Adblock. I run Adblock for a multitude of reasons. It isn't hurting his bottom line as far as I know.

That doesn't change the fact that Adblock just shouldn't even be a thing. It hurts content creators a lot. Imagine how Linus feels when he see's that 25% of his views on Youtube are from people with Adblock. Must not feel good to know that you could have made 25% more money to help pay you and your workers better.

I mean come on, he has to pay 4 people livable wages (probably around 30k each) just from Youtube. 

That doesn't change the fact that Adblock just shouldn't even be a thing. It hurts content creators a lot. Imagine how Linus feels when he see's that 25% of his views on Youtube are from people with Adblock. Must not feel good to know that you could have made 25% more money to help pay you and your workers better.

I mean come on, he has to pay 4 people livable wages (probably around 30k each) just from Youtube. 

It does matter and it is a personal choice. You trying to guilt trip people into behaving in a manner in which YOU think it right is going to happen.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

It does matter and it is a personal choice. You trying to guilt trip people into behaving in a manner in which YOU think it right is going to happen.

What's wrong with riding the guilt train? 

What's wrong with riding the guilt train? 

Nothing, your Jedi tricks won't work here.

PSU

Nothing, your Jedi tricks won't work here.

Those are not the words you are looking for. 

Definitely wouldn't mind if it supports the site. As long as its not too in my face. 

I don't mind it.  As long as it isn't invasive and annoying.  I have adblock off here.

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

-snip-

it's pretty hurtful for me to hear people saying "lol I don't care. adblock ftw." when I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to monetize the website in a way that doesn't bother our users.

I'm sincerely sorry if you, or any other people misunderstood my comment. I never realized nor knew that adblock was hurting people who advertise, but i guess it makes sense in my head now. I'm ready to fully back up you guys with everything you choose to add/remove, and hope to be help the forum and the community as much as i can. I hope you guys know that. 

Sure, whatever helps you guys out. Won't be bothered anyways with adblock on.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Speaking of which, I wish you had a rant series like TechnoBulffalo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wrCrStLC3A

I'm pretty sure you've got lots to say.

My thoughts on Wondershare: Have it advertise and anyone using it to maybe put it through some Members review thread. If it's good keep it, if not, trash it.

I have plenty to say.

Enough that if I ever had a rant channel, you can bet it would be anonymous and I would wear a mask.

I'm sincerely sorry if you, or any other people misunderstood my comment. I never realized nor knew that adblock was hurting people who advertise, but i guess it makes sense in my head now. I'm ready to fully back up you guys with everything you choose to add/remove, and hope to be help the forum and the community as much as i can. I hope you guys know that. 

Thanks. It means a lot.

No one likes ads. I hate them.

They make the Internet free, though, so I see them as a necessary evil.