King of Bottlenecks! Intel 9th Gen.

Princess Luna
1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

wait seriously? I thought intel would just backport the chipsets to 22nm, not just straight up start producing the old designs again. Intel you fucking memers

oops I dont know what happened here double post sry

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Wtf gigabyte. What a pointless product 

not really. if you want to build a budget system and use an i3 or something it could be a good option.  DDR3 ram is cheap AF... 

She/Her

30 minutes ago, pas008 said:

intel? isnt this a gigabyte thing?

this is a gigabyte product but intel was having problem with 14nm capacity and decided to move current chipsets to 22nm. Afaik this board doesn't exist without that decision?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

How quick you guys are to shit on something.  Asrock and ecs used to make lots of crossover boards.  DDR 2 and DDR 3 on the same board, things like that

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Alright I'm gonna be honest, I love this.

All the FX holdouts can now throw an i5 8400 and all their current ram into a board and enjoy better IPC and overall performance without breaking the bank.

This. 100%

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

i am already imagining the joy in oem's faces when they find out that this exits, " You mean to tell me we can Save even more money and sell and still claim its a 9900k, Great, order 10000."

4 hours ago, Geography said:

I wonder what overclocking will be like... 

Nonexistent on an H-series chipset.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, cj09beira said:

i am already imagining the joy in oem's faces when they find out that this exits, " You mean to tell me we can Save even more money and sell and still claim its a 9900k, Great, order 10000."

I wouldn't expect anything less from OEMs.

It's perfect for them, they get to save money on the system itself by cheaping out on the motherboard and RAM, and still sell it at a high price because 9900K.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Fabrication of chipset means nothing. Chipsets are always levels behind CPU fabrication. Also official numbers for RAM are meaningless. X99 has official support up to 2400MHz. But people run way faster RAM on them. I have 2400MHz RAM but at 2666MHz. All fine. As for purpose of using gimped chipset for a top of the line CPU. Well...

true, i had a 1600 cl10 kit of ddr3 running at 2400 cl13

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

How quick you guys are to shit on something.  Asrock and ecs used to make lots of crossover boards.  DDR 2 and DDR 3 on the same board, things like that

Way back in the day, yeah.

This was also with sockets that had CPUs that would support both DDR2 and DDR3.

This motherboard was made for people who ask if they can use DDR3 on DDR4 motherboards.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

6 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

I'd actually been kinda hoping for something like that with DDR3 and DDR4, but I realize it was a long-shot to hope for that.... Companies were just doing weird/interesting things in those days, I guess.... Gigabyte also had their GA-G41M-Combo board which had slots for both DDR2 and DDR3....

Why is everybody complaining about this, it's not as if the 9th 'generation' CPUs now only support DRR3!

Surely more choice is a good thing, this thing would be brilliant to drop in one of the lower end CPUs and some of that DDR3 that you have just laying around in a drawer

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Err, why is that underscored bit in your post not a link?

And the product page says it only supports 8th gen, not 9th gen, and considering it's an H series chipset ( no overclocking), there's no point in imagining it being paired with a 9900K.

It seems like a reasonable product for people who have a lot of DDR3 on-hand. The cheapest I can find 32GB of DDR4 available is 175 euros. A non-trivial amount for someone who might be ok with a low-to-mid-range CPU, but needs plenty of RAM.

29 minutes ago, Granular said:

there's no point in imagining it being paired with a 9900K.

i dont think you know the line of thought in this forum. offcourse it need to be paired with a 9900k

19 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i dont think you know the line of thought in this forum. offcourse it need to be paired with a 9900k

Could be worse, it could have been an X299 motherboard ?

I think this a good thing tbh, it is a cheap upgrade path for people with old platforms. And this board only supports up to 8th gen processors not 9th gen. Someone with an old would only need buy one of these motherboard + an 8400 and they would have a very decent rig for almost half the cost of if they had to get DDR4 RAM.

This when the real bottleneck for most CPUs is a combination of low clocks and low bandwidth per core... ridiculous product.

2 hours ago, Granular said:

Err, why is that underscored bit in your post not a link?

And the product page says it only supports 8th gen, not 9th gen, and considering it's an H series chipset ( no overclocking), there's no point in imagining it being paired with a 9900K.

It seems like a reasonable product for people who have a lot of DDR3 on-hand. The cheapest I can find 32GB of DDR4 available is 175 euros. A non-trivial amount for someone who might be ok with a low-to-mid-range CPU, but needs plenty of RAM.

CPU support page says it's compatible with 9-series CPUs(though surviving after using it is anyone's guess). TBH i'm more surprised it took one of the bigger companies so long to make this, China(and biostar) has had ddr3 H310 boards for months.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

32 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

CPU support page says it's compatible with 9-series CPUs

What CPU support page? Oh, nevermind, found it. And indeed it does.

Oh boy, why do I have a feeling that there are going to be posts asking if this is a good option to save money on their 9900k build?

Well look, is DDR3 even that much of a bottleneck on lets say an i5 9600? Or an 8th gen i3 or i5? DDR3 was never a bottleneck on Haswell, and we all know the architectures haven't changed that much at Intel, apart from raising the core count slightly.  Intel CPU's don't rely nearly as heavily on RAM speed as Ryzen CPU's do.

So for people wanting to upgrade to a newer CPU, lets say 8th gen or 9th gen i3-i5 and want to keep their old RAM and save $100+, this might not be such a bad idea. Especially if the board is relatively cheap too. Not the route I would go personally, but perhaps for a low-power

Of course pairing this with a 9900K would be stupid, but that is not what the product is being sold/ marketed as. it is just technically POSSIBLE.