King of Bottlenecks! Intel 9th Gen.

Princess Luna
4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

DDR3 9th gen motherboard the Gigabyte H310M DS2V DD3 MicroATX.

I wonder what overclocking will be like... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Alright I'm gonna be honest, I love this.

All the FX holdouts can now throw an i5 8400 and all their current ram into a board and enjoy better IPC and overall performance without breaking the bank.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Has anyone tested memory speed with DDR4 on a 9900k to see what impact, if any, there is between stock 2667 and 3600/whatever's fastest?

You can get DDR3 up to 2400 iirc, usually with tighter timings than fast DDR4, so this may not be an issue at all. DDR3 sure is cheaper. I'm curious to see what impact, if any, this'll have on performance before saying it's horribad. If it's only 5-10fps out of 200fps between stock ddr4 and fast ddr4....guessing ddr3 impact would be similarly minimal.

it... it dosnt even support DDR3 2133MHz.... what a pice of garbage

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Alright I'm gonna be honest, I love this.

All the FX holdouts can now throw an i5 8400 and all their current ram into a board and enjoy better IPC and overall performance without breaking the bank.

I'm legitimately thinking about that option for a system I have around. HAHA.

6 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Has anyone tested memory speed with DDR4 on a 9900k to see what impact, if any, there is between stock 2667 and 3600/whatever's fastest?

You can get DDR3 up to 2400 iirc, usually with tighter timings than fast DDR4, so this may not be an issue at all. DDR3 sure is cheaper. I'm curious to see what impact, if any, this'll have on performance before saying it's horribad. If it's only 5-10fps out of 200fps between stock ddr4 and fast ddr4....guessing ddr3 impact would be similarly minimal.

It'd lose nearly half the bandwidth moving down to 1833 memory. Latency is similar, so a lot of gaming applications wouldn't be effected. However, those cores are going to be starved for anything that loads up even 6 of them.

Still, the supported CPU list on this should be hilarious. 

wait seriously? I thought intel would just backport the chipsets to 22nm, not just straight up start producing the old designs again. Intel you fucking memers

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

inb4 linus pairs this with RTX Titan and 9900K. This would be the one scenario where you are actually limited by your motherboard.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

DDR3 9th gen motherboard

Spoiler

8E1C2F05-899B-4920-B1E5-F410E898561E.jpeg.0fb5576e238539cd36f1ca299621e87e.jpeg

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 hour ago, Geography said:

I wonder what overclocking will be like... 

I think it will scale negatively, maybe -1ghz just to boot up

Honestly if you can afford a 9900k, why can’t you get the mobo too? Tbh just get an 8700k and have extra for ddr4 memory and a good mobo,

that about $170 extra you can use to get better parts, a 9900k is just overkill to begin with

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

DDR3 9th gen motherboard

yxx2x2wcm6021.jpg

Think i will pass on the 9th gen however i have itchy buying trigger fingers atm for the 10th gen if its up to par. Patience is a Virtue. 

3 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Think i will pass on the 9th gen however i have itchy buying trigger fingers atm for the 10th gen if its up to par. Patience is a Virtue. 

I'm not really sold on buying anything post-Coffee Lake unless it brings some noteworthy features (aside from the IPC improvement that will most probably come with the node shrink) that could justify the early adopter tax.

Fabrication of chipset means nothing. Chipsets are always levels behind CPU fabrication. Also official numbers for RAM are meaningless. X99 has official support up to 2400MHz. But people run way faster RAM on them. I have 2400MHz RAM but at 2666MHz. All fine. As for purpose of using gimped chipset for a top of the line CPU. Well...

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

wait seriously? I thought intel would just backport the chipsets to 22nm, not just straight up start producing the old designs again. Intel you fucking memers

intel? isnt this a gigabyte thing?