Overclocking my fx-8350 for 4k Gaming?

avrona

So since my build right now has a GTX 1080 Ti and a fx-8350, I've been thinking if I could at least overclock my CPU a little to help improve performance and so that it can keep up more. I'm already getting really good performance, with most games staying at a constant 60FPS and more demanding one's like Siege are between the high 40's and 60 FPS (all with V-sync on, on a 3840x2160, 60Hz monitor). I have an ASUS m5a97 motherboard, a XFX TS 550 Bronze PSU, and a heatsink and single fan cooler for the CPU. Will I be able to overclock my CPU with that?

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

So since my build right now has a GTX 1080 Ti and a fx-8350, I've been thinking if I could at least overclock my CPU a little to help improve performance and so that it can keep up more. I'm already getting really good performance, with most games staying at a constant 60FPS and more demanding one's like Siege are between the high 40's and 60 FPS (all with V-sync on, on a 3840x2160, 60Hz monitor). I have an ASUS m5a97 motherboard, a XFX TS 550 Bronze PSU, and a heatsink and single fan cooler for the CPU. Will I be able to overclock my CPU with that?

depends on what your temps are currently under full load. (not gaming)

I believe the FX 8350 will start to thermal throttle at around 75C, so you need more headroom for your temps to consider any overclocking.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, syn2112 said:

depends on what your temps are currently under full load. (not gaming)

I believe the FX 8350 will start to thermal throttle at around 75C, so you need more headroom for your temps to consider any overclocking.

How can I check its temp?

7 minutes ago, avrona said:

You should have gone with the Ryzen CPU with GTX 1080TI. FX 8350 is only good at 1080P now. You are running one of NVIDIA GPU with sluggish AMD FX CPU. Your CPU is holding your true GTX 1080TI performance here. Overclock FX 8350 to 4.5GHz - 4.7 GHz might help a little bit if you turn down your 4k gaming to 1080P only. 

Your build is so unbalanced mate... that PSU and a FX 8350 for a 1080 Ti and 4k gaming? so many why

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

How can I check its temp?

HWinfo is a great program for that

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Your build is so unbalanced mate... that PSU and a FX 8350 for a 1080 Ti and 4k gaming? so many why

I know right man. Ryzen CPUs and boards are not that expensive. The only thing is expensive is DDR4 RAM....

3 minutes ago, Subway said:

You should have gone with the Ryzen CPU with GTX 1080TI. FX 8350 is only good at 1080P now. You are running one of NVIDIA GPU with sluggish AMD FX CPU. Your CPU is holding your true GTX 1080TI performance here. Overclock FX 8350 to 4.5GHz - 4.7 GHz might help a little bit if you turn down your 4k gaming to 1080P only. 

But here's the thing, is it worth overclocking in the first place? Like I said, I am getting pretty good performance already at 4k with a 8350 that's not overclocked whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

What's so bad? It works really well, and it's pretty solid, especially with all the other things it has. A Sound Blaster Z sound card, 2 TB of hard drive storage, a 220GB SSD, an RW disk drive, it's really decent actually.

But here's the thing, is it worth overclocking in the first place? Like I said, I am getting pretty good performance already at 4k with a 8350 that's not overclocked whatsoever. 

What's so bad? It works really well, and it's pretty solid, especially with all the other things it has. A Sound Blaster Z sound card, 2 TB of hard drive storage, a 220GB SSD, an RW disk drive, it's really decent actually.

FX 8350 cannot handle 4k gaming really well man. Overclock it will not going reduce bottleneck if you are aiming 4k gaming on an old sluggish CPU that cannot beat  4th gen i7 4790k. Your CPU is a big problem here paired with NVIDIA high end GPU.  

On 1/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, Finwillwin said:

I might upgrade that PSU and CPU cooler but it is not necessary.  I would just get a 6 core Ryzen chip this point.  The FX is series is really not even worth investing in anymore.

Oh I know it's not worth investing and if I had the money I would get a Ryzen.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:14 PM, Subway said:

FX 8350 cannot handle 4k gaming really well man. Overclock it will not going reduce bottleneck if you are aiming 4k gaming on an old sluggish CPU that cannot beat  4th gen i7 4790k. Your CPU is a big problem here paired with NVIDIA high end GPU.  

But the thing is it's been handling it really well already, even without overclocking.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, Finwillwin said:

Even then, you could sell that FX stuff, get 2400g and get way better performance.  I don't think overclocking would be worth the heat 
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G-vs-AMD-FX-8350/m441832vs1489

My current CPU won't sell for much anyway. And with a new CPU, I would have to buy a new mobo and RAM as well.

Just now, Finwillwin said:

Trust me, it will be worth it.  You could probably get 175-200 USD for the motherboard, RAM and CPU.

Again, will it be worth it though? Because my PC is running really well already.

1 minute ago, Finwillwin said:

Yes, yes it will.

How much though, because I'm already reaching 60 FPS in most games at all times?

1 minute ago, Finwillwin said:

You could expect a 20% performance bump in games with 2400g.

But again, will it be making a difference though if I'm already reaching 60FPS?

On 1/21/2019 at 3:04 PM, avrona said:

It will last longer than FX 8350 man. You will have to upgrade soon eventually. Ryzen is a good investment right now. As everyone mentioned earlier, your CPU is unbalanced with your GPU. If you play games that demand CPU and GPU then you will see a very huge bottleneck. I don't believe you are getting 60 FPS with GTX 1080TI without overclocking. There is a video on Youtube show FX 8350 bottleneck GTX 1070 without overclocking at all. 

On 1/21/2019 at 3:04 PM, avrona said:

FX 8350 performs good in 1080P as you can see in this video. 4k gaming will be impossible. 

On 1/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, Subway said:

It will last longer than FX 8350 man. You will have to upgrade soon eventually. Ryzen is a good investment right now. As everyone mentioned earlier, your CPU is unbalanced with your GPU. If you play games that demand CPU and GPU then you will see a very huge bottleneck. I don't believe you are getting 60 FPS with GTX 1080TI without overclocking. There is a video on Youtube show FX 8350 bottleneck GTX 1070 without overclocking at all. 

And so I will upgrade only if I really need to, as I really don't have the money for upgrading.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:03 PM, Subway said:

FX 8350 performs good in 1080P as you can see in this video. 4k gaming will be impossible. 

Well it clearly isn't impossible as I am gaming at 4k at max settings and still getting really good performance.

Just now, avrona said:

And so I will upgrade only if I really need to, as I really don't have the money for upgrading.

Well it clearly isn't impossible as I am gaming at 4k at max settings and still getting really good performance.

I don't believe you at all bro. FX 8350 can't handle 4k gaming at max 60 FPS. It can't get 60 FPS Witcher 3 max settings at 1080P

On 1/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, Subway said:

I don't believe you at all bro. FX 8350 can't handle 4k gaming at max 60 FPS. It can't get 60 FPS Witcher 3 max settings at 1080P

Well it is performing well. Don't know what else to tell you. Maybe have more faith in the fx-8350 and the 1080 Ti.

5 minutes ago, Subway said:

You realize that the processor matters less at 4K gaming than it does at 1080p gaming, right?

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

8 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

Yes, probably an extra 10-20 FPS. The human eye can see way more than 60FPS.  Also, you will see a hell of a lot less stuttering/frame drops.

It's not about how much the eye can see, but rather that my monitor is only a 60Hz one.

So actually being useful unlike 90% of people here, yes overclocking the FX 8350 will help the CPU out. You will need to invest in something that is not a stock cooler that you can continue to use once your upgrade to a better CPU.

In theory, yes, but I am suspicious of that cooler and PSU. 

If I were you, I wouldn't overclock and just start saving for more modern platform.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

21 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

Okay, then overclocking would help stability, but you will want to get a decent cooler and PSU.

90% of people are attempting to explain the benefits of just saving the money they would spend on a new PSU and cooler and investing in Ryzen.

He already has the processor. If he got a cooler he could keep it and use it when he is able to afford the move to Ryzen. Before I moved to the DDR4  platform I had an overclocked FX 8350 and was able to enjoy it. While it will struggle on more modern titles you can enjoy older titles without much issue.

7 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

He already has the processor. If he got a cooler he could keep it and use it when he is able to afford the move to Ryzen. Before I moved to the DDR4  platform I had an overclocked FX 8350 and was able to enjoy it. While it will struggle on more modern titles you can enjoy older titles without much issue.

I do already have a non-stock cooler already on my CPU. It's a one heatsink, one fan cooler. Will that be enough for overclocking?

Just now, Joelw2003 said:

I moved from a FX-8350 to a ryzen 2600 and the difference was a lot more than expected and performance was hugely increased for gaming and editing software (adobe cc)

also a 1080ti with a that psu? personally I'd upgrade it.. 

I don't have the money for any updates, so that's why I want to see if overclocking is an option.