Jump to content
Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superfantastic

is almost 100% cpu and gpu usage bad?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands with a friend, most settings on ultra and I pull between 50-120fps depending on what is happening on screen and what area we are in. I decided to check my cpu and gpu usage and saw they were both using nearly 100% for the game. My computer did not seem laggy or anything though.

 

I have a i5 7640x and a gtx 1070.

 

Does this mean that my hardware should be upgraded?

Link to post
Share on other sites

High CPU usage is more often the culprit of stuttering or inconsistent game performance. High GPU usage usually results in low frame rates overall. If being at 100% does not affect the quality of the gameplay experience, then it's not a problem. 

 

on a side note, the 7640x is a bastard of a CPU that should never have existed, maybe you should burn it in an effigy to the CPU Gods

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

 

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

Was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands with a friend, most settings on ultra and I pull between 50-120fps depending on what is happening on screen and what area we are in. I decided to check my cpu and gpu usage and saw they were both using nearly 100% for the game. My computer did not seem laggy or anything though.

 

I have a i5 7640x and a gtx 1070.

 

Does this mean that my hardware should be upgraded?

i5 7640x???

I can't even google this...

Edit: if the % is alternating and not stuck to 100% you are fine.


CPU:i7 9700k, Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC, Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB, PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold, Display(s):Samsung P2470HD, SAMSUNG LS24E390HL, Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T, Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire, Mouse:Razer Naga Mouse 2014Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

7640x is basically the 7600k with extremely small improvements that are not worth the price they asked for it.

 

But I know nothing of computers so the seller convinced me to get it anyways.

 

And yes the % fluctuates between 90 and 100%

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are BOTH at 100% and you are getting the performance you want then it's perfect. One at %100 and the other significantly lower would be bad.


Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Toshiba 1TB HDD, Silicon Power 120Gb SSD, Rosewill Stryker M

 

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I always thought that if cpu or gpu use 100% it is bad, meaning that they can barely pull through.

 

My friend has an i7 something and a gtx 1080 and he claims his cpu and gpu were only using 40%

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 hours ago, asand1 said:

If they are BOTH at 100% and you are getting the performance you want then it's perfect. One at %100 and the other significantly lower would be bad.

When I play Witcher 3, my gpu is almost at 0% while my cpu is at  ~60%. This is bad according to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, superfantastic said:

When I play Witcher 3, my gpu is almost at 0% while my cpu is at  ~60%. This is bad according to you?

Somethings not good. RAM or HDD possibly holding back your CPU and GPU? They should be allowed to run harder.


Asus Sabertooth X58, Xeon X5680 @4.0Ghz, NZXT Kraken x61, 24Gb Klevv 1600mhz, MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Toshiba 1TB HDD, Silicon Power 120Gb SSD, Rosewill Stryker M

 

Dell Optiplex 790, i7-2600, 16GB, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, superfantastic said:

When I play Witcher 3, my gpu is almost at 0% while my cpu is at  ~60%. This is bad according to you?

Does it somehow deliver a good FPS?


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - MSI GTX 650 - some 7200RPM SATA II thing - Ubuntu (at the moment)

 

Feel free to critique my website. I am but a young entrepreneur.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 4:32 AM, superfantastic said:

I always thought that if cpu or gpu use 100% it is bad, meaning that they can barely pull through.

 

My friend has an i7 something and a gtx 1080 and he claims his cpu and gpu were only using 40%

Not necessarily. It can be indicative of a problem but not if youre running a game at max settings and your gameplay is still smooth.

 

A computer should be able to work at 100% utilization without too many issues, though commodity hardware like x86 desktops can have issues with such high utilization.

 

However, there are cases of poorly written software that can cause high utilization like Scaleform UI 2D menus that cause insane GPU load while doing basically nothing and behaving like a power virus. In those cases 100% utilization is a bad thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

*reading the title*

well at least if both is equally pinned that means theres no bottlenecking going on :D

 

*reading the part about wildlands*...twice

hold on. how the hell are you playing wildlands with an i5 and a 1070 on ultra and pulling 120fps? i have a 7700k and a 1080ti and i cant even get 50 fps to be stable on medium - high settings. i swear this game fucks with my brain. i thought it was just crappy optimization but i guess not.


"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

 

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

*reading the title*

well at least if both is equally pinned that means theres no bottlenecking going on :D

 

*reading the part about wildlands*...twice

hold on. how the hell are you playing wildlands with an i5 and a 1070 on ultra and pulling 120fps? i have a 7700k and a 1080ti and i cant even get 50 fps to be stable on medium - high settings. i swear this game fucks with my brain. i thought it was just crappy optimization but i guess not.

On 720p of course 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

On 720p of course 😉

that my good sir wasnt specified.


"I know its stupidly overdone and unreasonably unneccesary but wouldnt it be awesome if ..."

 

CPU: Intel i7 7700k Cooling: Stock cooler (temporary)  MB: ASUS z270i  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB  GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero  DISPLAY: LG 34UC88-B 21:9 1440p SSD(OS): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD(Games): Samsung 840 EVO 250GB  HDD(Scratch): WD Blue 500GB HDD(Downloads): WD Blue 320GB HDD(Long-term): WD Green 2TB (external)   PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×