is almost 100% cpu and gpu usage bad?

Was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands with a friend, most settings on ultra and I pull between 50-120fps depending on what is happening on screen and what area we are in. I decided to check my cpu and gpu usage and saw they were both using nearly 100% for the game. My computer did not seem laggy or anything though.

I have a i5 7640x and a gtx 1070.

Does this mean that my hardware should be upgraded?

High CPU usage is more often the culprit of stuttering or inconsistent game performance. High GPU usage usually results in low frame rates overall. If being at 100% does not affect the quality of the gameplay experience, then it's not a problem. 

on a side note, the 7640x is a bastard of a CPU that should never have existed, maybe you should burn it in an effigy to the CPU Gods

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

Was playing Ghost Recon Wildlands with a friend, most settings on ultra and I pull between 50-120fps depending on what is happening on screen and what area we are in. I decided to check my cpu and gpu usage and saw they were both using nearly 100% for the game. My computer did not seem laggy or anything though.

I have a i5 7640x and a gtx 1070.

Does this mean that my hardware should be upgraded?

i5 7640x???

I can't even google this...

Edit: if the % is alternating and not stuck to 100% you are fine.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

7640x is basically the 7600k with extremely small improvements that are not worth the price they asked for it.

But I know nothing of computers so the seller convinced me to get it anyways.

And yes the % fluctuates between 90 and 100%

If they are BOTH at 100% and you are getting the performance you want then it's perfect. One at %100 and the other significantly lower would be bad.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I always thought that if cpu or gpu use 100% it is bad, meaning that they can barely pull through.

My friend has an i7 something and a gtx 1080 and he claims his cpu and gpu were only using 40%

11 hours ago, asand1 said:

If they are BOTH at 100% and you are getting the performance you want then it's perfect. One at %100 and the other significantly lower would be bad.

When I play Witcher 3, my gpu is almost at 0% while my cpu is at  ~60%. This is bad according to you?

16 hours ago, superfantastic said:

When I play Witcher 3, my gpu is almost at 0% while my cpu is at  ~60%. This is bad according to you?

Somethings not good. RAM or HDD possibly holding back your CPU and GPU? They should be allowed to run harder.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

20 hours ago, superfantastic said:

Does it somehow deliver a good FPS?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 1/22/2019 at 4:32 AM, superfantastic said:

I always thought that if cpu or gpu use 100% it is bad, meaning that they can barely pull through.

My friend has an i7 something and a gtx 1080 and he claims his cpu and gpu were only using 40%

Not necessarily. It can be indicative of a problem but not if youre running a game at max settings and your gameplay is still smooth.

A computer should be able to work at 100% utilization without too many issues, though commodity hardware like x86 desktops can have issues with such high utilization.

However, there are cases of poorly written software that can cause high utilization like Scaleform UI 2D menus that cause insane GPU load while doing basically nothing and behaving like a power virus. In those cases 100% utilization is a bad thing.

*reading the title*

well at least if both is equally pinned that means theres no bottlenecking going on :D

*reading the part about wildlands*...twice

hold on. how the hell are you playing wildlands with an i5 and a 1070 on ultra and pulling 120fps? i have a 7700k and a 1080ti and i cant even get 50 fps to be stable on medium - high settings. i swear this game fucks with my brain. i thought it was just crappy optimization but i guess not.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

53 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

*reading the title*

well at least if both is equally pinned that means theres no bottlenecking going on :D

*reading the part about wildlands*...twice

hold on. how the hell are you playing wildlands with an i5 and a 1070 on ultra and pulling 120fps? i have a 7700k and a 1080ti and i cant even get 50 fps to be stable on medium - high settings. i swear this game fucks with my brain. i thought it was just crappy optimization but i guess not.

On 720p of course ?

7 minutes ago, DaMainMan said:

On 720p of course ?

that my good sir wasnt specified.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3