msi boss on intel shortages

parthm

sorry if im doing something wrong new member here.

the original article is from fudzilla

link - https://fudzilla.com/news/47976-msi-s-new-boss-spills-the-beans-on-intel-shortages

the article mainly talks about how intels decision to prioritize high end chips like data center chips over desktop cpus has hurt their motherboard sales.

on top of that, he claims that intels decision to use 22nm chips also confused the partners.

this is a direct quote from the article

"We have a big portion of the AMD motherboard, which makes Intel kind of upset. But I say 'hey guys, once you solve the supply issue, let's figure out how we can get back your share.'"
this makes me wonder if partners prefer intel over amd for some reason? if yes then what or why?

if amd is not able to hurt intel now then will any company ever will? the competition has definitely benefited the consumer after all.

nice first post on the tech news topic area thing,

though in the top area, there is a quote button that looks like talking marks, you use that for quotes

They probably prefer intel since intel sells more than AMD does atm

✨FNIGE✨

9 hours ago, parthm said:

this makes me wonder if partners prefer intel over amd for some reason? if yes then what or why?

Probably because higher margins. And higher sales of high End Board.

But that's about it.

Just look at the sales of those rediculously expensive Z390 Boards and now look what a decent X470 board cost on average.

For example:

https://geizhals.de/msi-meg-z390-godlike-7b10-001r-a1901472.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

And on AM4 the best they have is:

https://geizhals.de/msi-x470-gaming-m7-ac-7b77-001r-a1804096.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

That's about double the price of the AM4 Board...

But that might change when Ryzen 3000 comes...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, parthm said:

if amd is not able to hurt intel now then will any company ever will? the competition has definitely benefited the consumer after all.

It's just sweet talk, rule number 42; don't piss off your main supplier when trying to excuse sales figures to your shareholders.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Probably because higher margins. And higher sales of high End Board.

But that's about it.

Just look at the sales of those rediculously expensive Z390 Boards and now look what a decent X470 board cost on average.

For example:

https://geizhals.de/msi-meg-z390-godlike-7b10-001r-a1901472.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

And on AM4 the best they have is:

https://geizhals.de/msi-x470-gaming-m7-ac-7b77-001r-a1804096.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

That's about double the price of the AM4 Board...

But that might change when Ryzen 3000 comes...

Totally not a biased comparison there, while the Z390 MEG Godlike is really expensive,it has many features the X470 m7-ac does not.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Totally not a biased comparison there, while the Z390 MEG Godlike is really expensive,it has many features the X470 m7-ac does not.

Well, no.

Because I just took the most expensive Board for the Plattform on Geizhals for that Plattform that was reasonably well available. 

And it was just to prove my point that there are more and more expensive Boards for Intel than for AMD.

And people seem to buy the 200€+ Boards more often on Intel than AMD.

Thus higher Margins on Intel.

I don't get why that is a Problem for you??

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

It's just sweet talk, rule number 42; don't piss off your main supplier when trying to excuse sales figures to your shareholders.

What's worse than selling less products, selling even less than that ?

19 hours ago, parthm said:

I think I saw somewhere an interview with MSI where they admitted that the reason they are not making laptops with Ryzen is because of the fact that they are relatively small to consider such experiments, previous bad experiences with AMD (pre-Ryzen) and the fact that Intel is good to them.

I think they said something in the lines that it would be awkward to go to the competition when Intel has been treating them good.

EDIT:

Here you go, from Tom's Hardware:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-ceo-interview-intel-shortage-amd,38473.html

Why There's No AMD in MSI Laptops or Desktops . . . Yet

Despite AMD's growing stature in the marketplace and MSI's collection of AMD-powered motherboards and video cards, Chiang said that his company is is still reticent to use AMD processors in its systems for three main reasons:

• Experimentation: MSI is a smaller company than some and can't afford to experiment with different platforms right now. "I always say 'we are not big enough to make it so complicated,'" he told us. He cited all of the different gaming laptop SKUs MSI makes, from the high-end GT series to the budget GLs, when saying that their lineup is already pretty complex. He also posited that it, given the company's focus on optimizing the user experience, going with AMD adds another layer of complexity.
  • Prior bad experience: MSI has used AMD processors in its systems before, but apparently had a bad experience. "At that time, their product was not right and their support was not that good," Chiang said. He didn't say which AMD CPU he was referring to, but we know that 2012's MSI GX60 had an AMD A10 chip inside. Our sister site, Laptop Mag, reviewed that laptop at the time and really liked the performance and battery life.
  • Relationship with Intel: Chiang told us that, given Intel's strong support during the shortage, it would be awkward to tell Intel if he chose to come out with an AMD-powered product. "It's very hard for us to tell them 'hey, we don't want to use 100 percent Intel,' because they give us very good support,"  he said. He did not, however, make any claims that Intel had pressured him or the company.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

9 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

I think I saw somewhere an interview with MSI where they admitted that the reason they are not making laptops with Ryzen is because of the fact that (...) Intel is good to them.

So in other words Intel asked them to not do AMD Laptops.

That also explains why existing AMD Ryzen based Notebooks are so bad and come with shit like TDP reduced to 6W and stuff like that.

Because Intel asked them to do that and  not make awesome Ryzen 3 or 5 Notebooks.

Especially since they don't need no Chipset for that...

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

So in other words Intel asked them to not do AMD Laptops.

Don't do that, he did not say what you claim he did. You clearly ignored a huge part of Lathlaer's post (and quoted links to supporting evidence) in order to propagate your weird desire to rubbish Intel.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

23 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, no.

Because I just took the most expensive Board for the Plattform on Geizhals for that Plattform that was reasonably well available. 

And it was just to prove my point that there are more and more expensive Boards for Intel than for AMD.

And people seem to buy the 200€+ Boards more often on Intel than AMD.

Thus higher Margins on Intel.

The people buying expensive Intel motherboards are usually buying more expensive CPUs, those saving money on a AMD platform aren't going to want to buy an expensive motherboard anyway.

"For the motherboards, it's really critical last year", he said. "They have a problem with 14nm. So Intel moves back to the 22nm and kept changing their roadmap. We don't have any kind of clear picture about their supply."

If MSI is confused by all the scrambling going on over at Intel, I imagine that pretty much every board partners are in the same boat at the moment.

Intel being mad at MSI for selling more competitor boards because they can't deliver the necessary supply to move a decent amount of boards is pushing it to be honest.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

MSI reasoning that they have a large and complex lineup but yet are "too small for such complexities" as supporting AMD makes me chuckle. Just make fewer skus of intel parts... oh wait

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The people buying expensive Intel motherboards are usually buying more expensive CPUs, those saving money on a AMD platform aren't going to want to buy an expensive motherboard anyway.

well if intel cant beat amds performance at a particular price comparison then why wouldnt the consumer buy amd with the spare money to put elsewhere maybe like a good mb? or just sell more at less profits?

unless intel holds grudge or plays like nvidea and their weird partner program things.