Why did you buy an Android phone?

11 minutes ago, Franck said:

Taking a cable and plugging it into anything is not easy to integrate ?

Android phones are literally big USB flash drive with bluetooth and Wifi how easier can it get ?

There is no seamless call/message/video integration between Android and some desktop platform, there is no quick and consistent backup and restore program, there is no real continuation of a task from mobile to desktop or vice versa you can't toggle a hotspot on by just trying to connect to a nearby phone, there is no built in universal clipboard, proximity auto unlock, etc...

Android doesn't natively have the level of cross platform integration Apple has as they don't control a prominent desktop OS. Of course, to get that integration you need to be using MacOS and iOS, but if you are, then you have a far more united ecosystem.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I bought my S7 new at the time because while I new I was probably going to run into more issues than my sibling's Iphone 6S, the customization and various things I could actually do to the phone were way better than the apple device, most notably expandable storage.

Because I don't want to pay $1000 for a phone? Or get a model that is 2 years old or used for $800? That is the only reason I need.

I could afford it, I just don't want to. It is ridiculous.

Next question.

1 hour ago, Otellino said:

Honestly, after being mostly an iOS user for most of my Smartphone life (Barring a short stint with HTC and Windows Phone 6, yikes...), I finally switched to a Google Pixel 3 and I couldn't be happier, for one single reason:

I don't need to compromise with it.

I'm a Windows 10 user, and it's integration with iOS is.... Pretty weak. I wanted to use Firefox on my iPhone as I used it on Windows, and wanted to be able to easily pick up where I left off. iOS made that bloody difficult for me, always insisting I just use Safari.

Nor could I easily reply to messages or quickly pull photos off my phone from my PC. I was spending hundreds on this expensive phone that I just couldn't use how I wanted to. WIth the Pixel, that's a thing of the past.

I get near Mac to iOS level integration between Windows and Android, I can super easily continue my web browsing, or document editing, or general conversations between my two devices, and I just don't feel like I need to fight my device any more.

This is true, Apple really insists on you using all of their products to get a good experience. People who say iOS "just works" and is great in integration etc. must own only Apple devices, use apple software and services. (Mac computers, Apple TV, Apple watch, Safari browser, Itunes, iCloud, Apple music, etc. etc.).

As soon as you try to use literally anything else, be it hardware, software, or services, things go downhill FAST and support is abysmal. Take it from a former iPhone user and current Macbook owner.

You have to play within Apple's walled garden, which is annoying and expensive. I know they do this to keep people attached to their products, but for me it has the opposite effect. As soon as I don't want ONE of their devices (i.e. the iphone), I might as well not have ANY Apple devices at all, because it just doesn't work anymore.

Been a longtime Android user myself, starting with the Moto Droid X phone back in 2011. Back in the last weeks of 2018 I switched to the iPhone XS, as I had a negative experience with my previous phone, the HTC 10, and was persuaded to switch by relatives and a sale. Ended up getting a full refund of the phone 10 days later, as I had real misgivings about being married to Apple's ecosystem, and the lack of customization in iOS was a sore spot. 

Ended up getting a OnePlus 6T that same day in the same store. So far, any problems I had read about the phone are non-issues for me. I thought I would miss the headphone jack, but tbh I don't care. Lack of wireless charging is a bit of a stickler for me, but meh I can deal with the lack of it in exchange for the extremely rapid charging. Fingerprint scanner is a bit spotty with speed and accuracy, but I use face unlock for everything but using fingerprint authentication (like to sign into bank app, authorize purchases, etc.)

I went balls deep with customizing the phone, from installing Nova Launcher, to getting into KWGT and KWLP, to installing GCam (Pixel camera software). I'm not sure if I could root the phone or not, due to T-Mobile's bootloader, but tbh I don't really care enough to do it. 

I switched to T-Mobile a month ago because I could save a nice chunk of cash off my bill compared to Verizon, while also having an unlimited data plan to boot. Better cell reception too.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I straight up didnt have a choice on my first Android. AT&T wouldnt let me get an iPhone 5 back in the day so I ended up with an S4. And then I never looked back xD. Android is purely better, Most of what I had to jailbreak for on my iPod at the time could easily be done on stock Android. IOS now to me is like a pile of trash compared to what Android has to offer :P 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

My first Android based phone was LG with 1.x version and I followed it ever since and really liked how it evolved and improved. It was also the first time I messed with custom ROMs which was awesome. Customiation in general is just amazing and really a must have. So naturally I got another one later on in time the Xperia Z the og one. After that one I got Galaxy S6 which I use now. Phone works great. 

I Knew about iPhone from start too, aside from their unattractive pricings in general, their OS never appealed to me at all, saw 0 reasons why I would get it even if it was cheaper. Nothing that I couldn't do on Android and more, and I've seen every version of it. 

You can do a TL;DR: why would you get an iPhone that offers less for more price. 

Besides, to answer the title question in another way too; what else would you buy? Most people want a phone for fair price first of all and for those phones will serve them for anything they do. Aside from diehard Apple fanboys or wealthy noobs that don't know better, rest of people go for Android. So much variations of phones to choose from, price and brands. And there's no 3. contender anymore like WP was. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I actually switched to android from an Iphone mainly for the "normal" stuff you could do with a Galaxy instead of an iphone. Like adding more storage with the sd card slot, wireless charging (although now that iphones can do it too nbd) and having a headphone jack is nice but i dont really use it.  

College student getting his Information Systems Degree, Furry, Gamer, Amateur Poet

Luna

Intel Core i9 7940x, Custom Water Loop, EVGA x299 Micro, 4x8 GB kit of Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti, 3 Tb's of SSD storage, 5TB HDD, 850 Watt EVGA Supernova g3, all inside a black and purple r1 from Parvum Systems

Laptops:

Anubis: Powerspec 1510 (sager NP8157)

Lucario: Razer Blade Stealth v4 (base model) this is my daily driver

1 hour ago, Franck said:

Taking a cable and plugging it into anything is not easy to integrate ?

Android phones are literally big USB flash drive with bluetooth and Wifi how easier can it get ?

Ecosystem as in Itunes, Siri on mac, all your files are shared, you can text on macs. Apple has built their own ecosystem that pretty much keeps your preferences and files over each device that you have while android, like you said is more of a glorified usb storage device.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

There are lots of reasons why I prefer Android, customisability etc, but two major reasons are ROMs for if the phone needs newer versions or to get rid of bloatware/slowdowns etc... and switching between apps support. It's just too clunky on IOS, no back button or menu button (for switching between apps you've already used and are still in RAM).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

menu button (for switching between apps you've already used and are still in RAM).

Nit picking. Press the home button twice. It's the same thing as pressing the Overview button, plus a bit more.

(that's why I didn't mention it in my post :P )

10 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Ecosystem as in Itunes, Siri on mac, all your files are shared, you can text on macs. Apple has built their own ecosystem that pretty much keeps your preferences and files over each device that you have while android, like you said is more of a glorified usb storage device.

To me i have all these features on my device. But i don't know the apple versions to know which small details are different. My browser tabs are kept between my phone and computers (including windows and ubuntu), My files are all shared thru google drive. Phone and text i have them through my cast or screen share on Windows/Linux/smart tv.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Nit picking. Press the home button twice. It's the same thing as pressing the Overview button, plus a bit more.

(that's why I didn't mention it in my post :P )

Ahh I see, didn't know that, thanks :D

Even the owner of the phones/tablets didn't know that I hasten to add.... I personally only handled them for the purpose of trying to fix whatever they were doing, and couldn't figure out how, lol.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Because there's so many brands using Android, which mean you can choose the one that suit your need. Apple on the other hand have pretty much two style of smartphones to choose from (pre iphone X and after iphone X).

For me it's mainly because of customization.

I want to be able to decide how the on-screen keyboard reacts, how long it shows me notifications, which ones I wanna see and how to group them.

Message previews and quick responses work so much better on Android and if there's something that I can't customize, I can probably install an app for that.

I have an iPhone at the moment because it's my business phone and it's grinding my gears. I feel like it's a phone for users with too much time on their hands. Everything seems to take a second or a click more (Although, there are a some exceptions that just took me a while to get used to the iOS way of doing things). I don't remember exactly, but I think I just customized all these values within the first few days after buying a new Android.

Another reason is multi-tasking. I like to do google research, watch a Youtube video and answer a Whatsapp at the same time - this doesn't always work perfectly on Android but multi-tasking is not really possible on other mobile operating systems at all.

And last but not least: I want my phone to be versatile. I am willing to spend more money for a good accessory or gadget if I think it is worth it but ONLY if it works with all my (and if relevant with my friend's) devices. Buying something that only works properly with other devices from the same brand is a deal-braker to me. 

Root, can easily do anything. Install apks, remove bloatware. Custom rims is also cool, shit like that

Because I don't like iOS, I had an iPhone 3GS back in the day, but even after jailbreaking I just wasn't really a fan, so I put it down and accidentally picked up a Galaxy S (because they look so similar /s) and have had android ever since

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

That you can have apps at the bottom of the home page (you know, where it's easier to press them) without having apps at the top.

whoa, can you not re-arrange apps on iphone?

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

I think he means not rearranged automatically. I don't find that to be a con since I usually keep my apps in folders and always keep different pages for games and general use. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

External Storage. Ease of use with my TV. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Organized home screen - I had the same launcher on all my phones with a similar organized layout. having all apps on the home screen, pretty much required to categorize drove me nuts on the company iPhone 6 I once had. 

perceived better bang for the buck at the 350-400€ price point. 

bought into the Google verse with multiple chromecasts. implementation is already sometimes glitchy with Android but probably won't improve with iOS 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

21 hours ago, James said:

A few months ago we posted a thread asking iPhone owners to tell us why they chose to be iPhone owners:

The result of that was this video:

Now we're doing it for ANDROID!!!1

Please post your favorite Android things / Ways Android is just better than iOS/iPhone!

*** We don't really want to hear from the iPhone owners here. We want to hear from current Android users

phones can end up being less expensive, and the overall experience of android is great to me. Ive used ios many times and just prefer android as an operating system over ios and of course the ultimate reason....... Google assistant, its not even a contest

Not overpriced, more open OS, can get phones with unlocked bootloader, extensive support from modding community. And it doesnt need a bloatware to be installed on my PC just to get my stuff onto the phone, not to mention with the right software it can open almost anything. Oh and you do not need a several step guide just to set a freakin custom ringtone.

/EDIT

Forgot to mention the microSD slot :D . (We dont have unlimited plans here so i need to store my stuff locally.)

Edited by jagdtigger

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I think he means not rearranged automatically. I don't find that to be a con since I usually keep my apps in folders and always keep different pages for games and general use. 

What I mean is that if you on your home screen only want 12 apps on your home screen, you can not for example leave the top row empty. It can be in whatever order you want, but they automatically snap to the top and leave the empty space at the bottom.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking