Why did you buy an Android phone?

A few months ago we posted a thread asking iPhone owners to tell us why they chose to be iPhone owners:

The result of that was this video:

Now we're doing it for ANDROID!!!1

Please post your favorite Android things / Ways Android is just better than iOS/iPhone!

*** We don't really want to hear from the iPhone owners here. We want to hear from current Android users

Cheap. And I can download and run stuff from the internet, unlike iOS. 

Isn't this for General Discussion? Where the iPhone thread was?

Anywho, pros:

• far more customizable, launchers, skins, you name it
  • plug in a PC and drag'n'drop, no iTunes or equivalent program
  • proper File Mangement
  • much cheaper phones, and you can basically pick a phone that suits your needs in different price ranges, even if you want to go with a flagship
  • better community support in terms of custom ROMs. Literally many varieties of ROMS that I can choose from

To be clear, I could list lots of cons of android, but we're talking pros here. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Because we like freedom 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I bought my first Android phone because iPhone was locked to AT&T and I had Verizon.

I tried my first iPhone with the 5s, and while I was willing to go through hoops to not have iTunes installed on my computer (or rather, not installed on the OS install I use), I couldn't deal with the fact it showed up as a camera on my computer and so file sharing options were limited. I can deal with the lack of widgets (I rarely use them anyway) and the wonky home screen/app drawer hybrid, but I cannot deal with the fact I can't manipulate the files on the device easily. I also don't like that iOS doesn't have a universal back button.

I was too cheap to get an iphone. I regret that decision every time I pick my up phone and try to launch something lol. (every android phone I owned had major slowdowns because of nand degrading and getting significantly slower over a period of 6 to 12 months)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The two main reasons for me are:

• Apps - Software for our 24/7 monitoring is only available on Android.
  • The customizability - I want to change the look of the OS as much as I like.

I bought a Motorola phone from their website, then a refurbished HTC from eBay, then used the years that lasted me to get a Note 8 for $300 on my plan.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

• For the S8+  headphone jack. 
  • As someone who has only ever had androids I found it simpler than iOS for the settings (i'm just used to it)
  • Easy to use file manager particularly important for moving photos and media over a direct USB connections from my phone to computer ( i know i cloud is a thing but you have to pay for extra space and need a internet connection)
  • Expandable memory for relatively cheap
  • Ability to install 3rd party apps with .apk files for some cool indie projects like this:  http://amadeusproject.weebly.com/

Mostly because cheap, as said above. I really don't want to spend more than 200 euros on a phone, which is near impossible with Apple (when talking new phones).

In the past I would have gone on about sideloading apps... Customization, etc. but that stuff does not interest me as much anymore. It's cool, but my phone really just is a messaging and internet-ing device.

I am also not an Apple user at all, so the advantage of the Apple devices working together is not relevant for me neither.

Plus where I live, WhatsApp is the main form of communication, so the advantage of iMessage (which I don't know exactly what advantages it has) is not there for me either.

EDIT:

Reading this thread I see some things that are definitely a plus for me, which I basically take for granted. Including, but not limited to:

- Headphone jack (I regularly charge my phone, while listening to music)

- Micro SD card slot (Can't believe Apple is still trying to separate their market with the markups on storage)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Constantin said:

Because we like freedom 

Pretty much this.

And yes, there are cheap Android phones, that doesn't make Adroid "cheap." 

I chose the S9+ over the Iphone because, well, I like customizing my phones layout and button functions. I can literally do more from my home screen than I ever could using an Iphone. Plus Iphones are just overrated, IMO.

Android if you like freedom and enjoy customizing your phone with unlimited options.

Apple if you like to keep things simple and have your entire phone layout thought out for you.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Well it's the only option...

There are only 2 OS's for phones that have the apps i want and that gets regular updates.

Because i don't want to spend big dollarydoos on a phone, android phones are my only option if i want something new.

I have android basically because, what else am i suppose to get?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

I was too cheap to get an iphone. I regret that decision every time I pick my up phone and try to launch something lol.

Why do you regret this?

-an iPhone 6s user

I own both Android for my phone, ios for my tablet.

For regular users, iphones are easier to use (so they say), but for me its pretty annoying.

How the app works in an encapsulated environment, where you cannot share files between apps.

You need a proprietary suite just to copy file inside the app (itunes).

For years, iphones have the luxury of the best tech, not now, even a cheap midrange android got the latest tech.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Honestly, initially it was because it was the only option on Verizon when I first got a smartphone--the iPhone wasn't yet released for CDMA networks. I got used to android as a result (OG Droid Incredible), and generally prefer the UI and especially file manager / email attachment management.

I now have both android AND ios between work and home phones....and I don't have much to complain about. They both do phone things. I keep buying android phones for myself because A) back button B) headphone jack C) SD card. I don't like android phones becoming abandonware within a year (even flagships!) nor do I like their lackadaisical approach to security and privacy, nor how rapidly they deteriorate w/r/t battery, performance, and software bugs.....the day I can't buy a phone with a headphone jack at minimum is the day I say screw it and go ios full time. I definitely do prefer not having a locked ecosystem, but on the flip side, stuff just doesn't work half the time.

I don't customize phones, nor do I game on them, so that bonus of android is not relevant for me personally.

As someone who uses both and Iphone and Android and switches between them, I use my Android when I want App's to fully integrate in o the system. Where as with Apple they are heavily separated from the system, Android I can change my Messenger app, the Camera app or even the web browser without making it feel like i'm using something in a sandbox 

Open ecosystem => more space for innovation and competition (and bad products) => better cheaper product => happy

I also kinda prefer there to be several cool phones, not just the Iphone

because I got an LG G4 to replace my dead HTC One M8 (which I thought was perfect) I started hating on every LG phone after owning this piece of shit. Overheats for days, performs like shit, didnt even get nougat update (officially but beta rom was dumped after a year) and UI is absolutely terrible never ever again getting an LG phone again.

@Billy Pilgrim

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Because so many things in iOS do things in a bass ackward way or just allow no way to do common things. 

I don't want to keep reiterating what everyone else is saying so I'll say something else. I like having a dedicated back and multi-task (not sure what it's called) button.

I currently have the Note 5 but before that, the only other smartphone that I've had was the Note 1. Before that were phones you don't classify as "smart."

I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, which runs Android partly because of all of it's features and all the cool things you can do with Android. It really opened up possibilities and allowed you to customize your phone and do weird things on it that you would never even think was possible. Although I own an iPhone right now (iPhone 7 Plus, working great), I still have a few Android phones and use them daily alongside my iPhone and I love both.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

17 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

Cheap.

My LG V30 cost more than some iPhone models, cheap isn't really a pro or con with Android.

I'd say expandable storage and headphone jack, but this also depends on model. With manufacturers copying each other all the time, the only pro or con really is if you have an OS preference.