Want to try a different way to run a hdd.

Ok so I am working on a project, that need a 3.5" 4tb hdd to be connected via usb, now seeing how bulky and complicated those external exclosures for a 3.5" hdd is and I don't want to use them for this project as it will not fit, I know that the hdd is crazy power hungry so I want to power the sata hdd using a pc power supply but again I want to use a usb connector for data connectivity, what I am thinking is giving the power with a regular atx power supply and the sata data link connecter to a usb converter to the usb for using it, now will it work? I've attached the pic of the converter that I want to use, please tell me is this right???

Screenshot_2019-01-21-22-29-35-1.png

To start, I recommend a USB 3.0 adapter. That one looks like a USB 2.0 one.

Second, I recommend finding something with external power, like this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Adapter-Cable-Power/dp/B005B3VO24, even if you don't think you'll use it much.

Single USB2 isn't enough to power 3.5" HDD. Also SATA2 and newer will be bottlenecked by USB2 speeds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

To start, I recommend a USB 3.0 adapter. That one looks like a USB 2.0 one.

Second, I recommend finding something with external power, like this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Adapter-Cable-Power/dp/B005B3VO24, even if you don't think you'll use it much.

Hey thanks for replying, so basically I am not concerned about speed, I just want to know will that work?? Will my Unix system will detect the hdd?

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Single USB2 isn't enough to power 3.5" HDD. Also SATA2 and newer will be bottlenecked by USB2 speeds.

Thanks for replying, I know that the single usb2 is not enough to power it up, read my post again for power I want a regular atx power supply and that converter for data link will that work? Also usb 2 is ok for me speed isn't the matter here..

15 minutes ago, z0m31e said:

Hey thanks for replying, so basically I am not concerned about speed, I just want to know will that work?? Will my Unix system will detect the hdd?

With the adapter specifically in your OP, it won't work with 3.5" HDDs and it may not work with 2.5" HDDs due to the power requirements.

If the OS is fairly modern, then it should at least detect it's a USB mass storage device, but it may not be able to read it if it's not of a compatible file system.

EDIT: I forgot you were going to jury rig a PSU plug, so that takes care of the power requirement (plus I don't see any power off the thing anyway)

40 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

With the adapter specifically in your OP, it won't work with 3.5" HDDs and it may not work with 2.5" HDDs due to the power requirements.

If the OS is fairly modern, then it should at least detect it's a USB mass storage device, but it may not be able to read it if it's not of a compatible file system.

EDIT: I forgot you were going to jury rig a PSU plug, so that takes care of the power requirement (plus I don't see any power off the thing anyway)

So that adapter will not work??

2 hours ago, z0m31e said:

So that adapter will not work??

Yeah, sorry. Pic is tad confusing since I was looking at IDE connector and thought it was both SATA connectors.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yeah, sorry. Pic is tad confusing since I was looking at IDE connector and thought it was both SATA connectors.

No problem dude, thanks for helping!!!

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It will, I thought it was supplying power too but it's a data only cable

? Thank you Mira!!