Problem with lenovo y50-70

So the laptop didnt charge, but i know it isnt the power brick or the plug since i changed that like 2 months before and they are brand new, i dont know what it is but i have an idea what it is, i think it's the battery but i didnt have the time to check it, i gave it to a computer fixing shop, they said it was the "power supply" and it would take 75$ to replace, i think this is full bs since all i could find on power supplies is the fcking ac to dc power brick, planning to get the laptop in like 2 days and take out the battery to see if it works. The dude said it was some psu on the motherboard, any idea what that means? Or is it just bs to trick customers into paying more?

It could be the charge monitoring circuit on the motherboard that prevents the battery from being over-charged, or the parts that generate the voltages needed by the different parts of the system (12v, 5v, 3.3v). Given the average person knows very little about this sort of thing that was probably the best way of explaining it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

11 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

It could be the charge monitoring circuit on the motherboard that prevents the battery from being over-charged, or the parts that generate the voltages needed by the different parts of the system (12v, 5v, 3.3v). Given the average person knows very little about this sort of thing that was probably the best way of explaining it.

aha, so im guessing this is soldered on to the mb, if so you have to change the motherboard? or can i fix it with just not having the motherboard in

1 minute ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

aha, so im guessing this is soldered on to the mb, if so you have to change the motherboard? or can i fix it with just not having the motherboard in

It might need a full motherboard swap, it might need just a chip swap, it might just need a single resistor replaced, and if it's one of the first two, there doesn't tend to be a good way for an individual to source the parts. It will need to get fixed somehow if you want the laptop working again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

It might need a full motherboard swap, it might need just a chip swap, it might just need a single resistor replaced, and if it's one of the first two, there doesn't tend to be a good way for an individual to source the parts. It will need to get fixed somehow if you want the laptop working again.

ive been having so many problems with that laptop, ive payed like 125$ in repairs and im starting to get pissed of and besides im gonna be getting a pc in like july so im just gonna have to wait til then.

No way the guy is touching a soldering iron for 75 bucks.

My guess is he didnt really troubleshoot it and is replacing the charging port or power brick. On your model the charging port is clipped in.