$3k budget, some flex with budget. North Dakota

2. Aim

Strictly gaming, no editing would like 1440 res 

3. Monitors

2 monitors at 1440p 144hz

4. Peripherals

Dont need any peripherals 

5. Why are you upgrading?

Upgrading just to get a pc I can use for 5+ years without having to upgrade more. Currently running a haswell i5 a 1080 (cpu definitely bottlenecks this) and 8 gigs of ram with a crappy mobo. I know I can upgrade the cpu ram and mobo to help the 1080 but would rather just start fresh.

6 minutes ago, PCGuy1994 said:

2 monitors at 1440p 144hz

Why do you want 2x 1440p 144hz monitors? That'll easily take $1k out of the budget and require another ~$1k in graphics card to justify the high refresh rate to any decent extent.

If you want a surround gaming setup don't stop at two; get three monitors. Two monitors = split in the middle of your line of sight that looks weird in basically every possible scenario. 3 monitors gives you proper surrounding monitors without the split in the middle of your line of sight.

If you want more monitors for more screen real estate (not necessarily gaming related) then 144 Hz is totally unnecessary for additional monitors after the primary monitor (I'm assuming you want at least a high refresh rate primary monitor when gaming).

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

1 minute ago, ATFink said:

Why do you want 2x 1440p 144hz monitors? That'll easily take $1k out of the budget and require another ~$1k in graphics card to justify the high refresh rate to any decent extent.

If you want a surround gaming setup don't stop at two; get three monitors. Two monitors = split in the middle of your line of sight that looks weird in basically every possible scenario. 3 monitors gives you proper surrounding monitors without the split in the middle of your line of sight.

If you want more monitors for more screen real estate (not necessarily gaming related) then 144 Hz is totally unnecessary for additional monitors after the primary monitor (I'm assuming you want at least a high refresh rate primary monitor when gaming).

Yeah you’re right I’d be better if using 1 1440p 144hz and then two 1440p 60hz on the sides 

1 minute ago, PCGuy1994 said:

Yeah you’re right I’d be better if using 1 1440p 144hz and then two 1440p 60hz on the sides 

Cool, I'll make a list with that in mind. Give me a few minutes.

I'm currently trying to find a selection of monitors with thin bezels. While searching for prices I found that 144Hz 1440p monitors have come down in price significantly from what they were in my memory (I thought they were ~$500 a pop... not anymore). If the price is right I may not have to compromise with the side monitors refresh rates. We'll see.

Do you have any preferences for curved monitors?

1 minute ago, ATFink said:

I'm currently trying to find a selection of monitors with thin bezels. While searching for prices I found that 144Hz 1440p monitors have come down in price significantly from what they were in my memory (I thought they were ~$500 a pop... not anymore). If the price is right I may not have to compromise with the side monitors refresh rates. We'll see.

Do you have any preferences for curved monitors?

Never had a curved monitor so I couldn’t tell ya. Right now I have a ASUS ROG SWFT PG278Q so you don’t have to put 3 in the build, just the two extras.

Sorry for the delay.

This is the best I can come up with. Stuck with 27" TN monitors from Asus so the monitors have similar diagonals and an attempt to keep color discrepancy between the monitors to a minimum. Sorry the bezels are fairly large. I advise you get a monitor arm capable of supporting 3 monitors.

EDIT:

Install OS on the SSD. When initializing the HDD make sure to initialize it as GPT, not MBR. GPT recognizes >2TB of storage (several "invisible" 2TB partitions stitched together under one drive letter), MBR does not (only recognizes up to 2TB on any single storage medium).