Got a new Audio-Technica ATR2500, how the hell do I adjust the gain...

Mycelus

Im frustrated as hell. Got a new Audio-Technica ATR2500 USB mic. Has no knob for gain control, no drivers, no software. How do I adjust the gain... it's picking up my case fans, my heater, my dad coughing upstairs.

Im trying to use it for recording YouTube videos but if it's gonna record every little sound then I just wasted all my money. I've googled software for adjusting gain on a mic and magically can't find anything.

How do people adjust the gain on their mics without knobs?

I'm hoping someone answers this since I have an AT2020 as well.

Mind being more specific? All there is in the Sound settings is the microphone volume, which is not the same as gain.

Mind being more specific? All there is in the Sound settings is the microphone volume, which is not the same as gain.

you mean this is all you have? I don't think there's much else if they're just simple plug and play.

K5FJGQd.png

couldn't you attribute "Microphone" to gain?

Error: 410

All I have is microphone... I don't even have boost. How the hell is one supposed to use this mic if it's picking up background noises? Why is there no alternative to a hardware knob via some sort of software? If I can't adjust the gain on this mic then it's useles??? I spent $60 thinking I could record YouTube videos without it picking up an audible noise floor (PC fans, miscellaneous sounds).

You've gotta be kidding me.

If there is no physical knob the only option is to lower the volume in windows. Also your talking about gain which would normally increase the volume making the issues your having worse.

If there is no physical knob the only option is to lower the volume in windows. Also your talking about gain which would normally increase the volume making the issues your having worse.

Uhh... I am looking to turn the gain DOWN, not UP. Where did you get the idea I wanted to turn it up? Do you know what gain is?

I am picking up background noises, so Im trying to lower the gain so that I don't pick up those background noises.

While I don't have much faith in it, you could maybe try the "noise suppression" under the enhancements tab to see if that does anything. 

Error: 410

Uhh... I am looking to turn the gain DOWN, not UP. Where did you get the idea I wanted to turn it up? Do you know what gain is?

I am picking up background noises, so Im trying to lower the gain so that I don't pick up those background noises.

Gain usually increases not decreases since it usually refers to amplification. You would only be a able to degrease said gain if there was gain.

Either way if there is no hardware knob and no software control all you have is the input volume slider in windows. The mic is meant to be this way likely since its just plug and play.

Also going back to your OP you cant control hardware gain on a device with just any random software, you would need a specific non generic driver for the device and a matching piece of software. If people do anything other than just lower the input volume, its likely done in post.

A heads up, even with my Blue Yeti with the gain all the way down at zero it does pick up other things to some extent it comes with the territory of that style mic and depends on the distance you are from it. The closer you are the louder you will be and the lower you can have the input volume, thus making the background noise your picking up quieter. You can probably reference the website or manual for the mic to learn the proper distance you should be from it.

So are you saying my mic has no gain then since it's plug n play? Sorry just trying to clarify.

So, is this because I have a lower end mic? How do people record YouTube videos say for hardware product reviews without say their PC fans running? Or game casts without the background noise?

I don't have a super loud computer, but it's definitely audible in the video, and that's a problem. I thought a dedicated mic would have allowed me to change how much surrounding noise the mic is picking up so that say when I take pauses while I'm talking, it would be real nice and quiet, and then pick up my sound as I started to talk again. But what happens currently is, Hi, I'm Mycelus. (pause) wvvvvvvv (fan noise)

I don't want that noise in between the pauses and while I'm talking, and I'm confused on how to get rid of that and what my options are. I can post a SoundCloud sample if you'd like.

So are you saying my mic has no gain then since it's plug n play? Sorry just trying to clarify.

So, is this because I have a lower end mic? How do people record YouTube videos say for hardware product reviews without say their PC fans running? Or game casts without the background noise?

I don't have a super loud computer, but it's definitely audible in the video, and that's a problem. I thought a dedicated mic would have allowed me to change how much surrounding noise the mic is picking up so that say when I take pauses while I'm talking, it would be real nice and quiet, and then pick up my sound as I started to talk again. But what happens currently is, Hi, I'm Mycelus. (pause) wvvvvvvv (fan noise)

I don't want that noise in between the pauses and while I'm talking, and I'm confused on how to get rid of that and what my options are. I can post a SoundCloud sample if you'd like.

I can't adjust the gain on my Blue Snowball in Windows either, I assume this is because regular mics that you plug into the motherboard are controlled by the motherboard, so the motherboard controls the gain of that. There are different settings for the Snowball, the first is optimized for voice, with the mic pointing at you, the second is a little wider pickup,with a -10 dB PAD, and the third setting just picks up everything in your vicinity. I obviously use the first setting, and windows volume set to 75% on it. I actually used the Snowball for recording my friend when he sleeps (he talks a lot in his sleep) and it picked up pretty much everything in the house, and cars driving past on the road, which is 30 meters away. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If you have realtek audio solution on your mobo, you could take a look at the software there. There are some settings under the microphone tab, that might help you, maybe.....

Everything I post is based of bits and pieces I've read somewhere else.

I have most likely never tested any of the things I recommend or advise against.

Think of me as a information relay, I read it, process it, then post it. 

You guys are all retarded. The ATR2500USB is connected via USB. As far as I know only 3.5mm mics can have a decibel boost. Set the mic volume to 20-40 and keep the mic close to you.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

yes

they are likely closer to the mic and running it at a lower volume in windows. Besides that the software they are recording with may have features for that sort of thing or they are doing it in post.

well no its doesnt thats something else entirely and even if you had gain control gain is essentially amplification so it would only make any of that worse.

The real nice and quite in between may be achieved by push to talk or software that auto picks you up easily.

Your welcome to post that sound sample. I recommend putting it someplace I can download it. i would like to also know how far you are from the mic if possible.

I can't adjust the gain on my Blue Snowball in Windows either, I assume this is because regular mics that you plug into the motherboard are controlled by the motherboard, so the motherboard controls the gain of that. There are different settings for the Snowball, the first is optimized for voice, with the mic pointing at you, the second is a little wider pickup,with a -10 dB PAD, and the third setting just picks up everything in your vicinity. I obviously use the first setting, and windows volume set to 75% on it. I actually used the Snowball for recording my friend when he sleeps (he talks a lot in his sleep) and it picked up pretty much everything in the house, and cars driving past on the road, which is 30 meters away.

You dont have gain control because its a lower end mic the Yeti which is just above the snowball has gain control. Also gain is not volume its amplification while recording. This is nice because its usually better to do it then in many cases that in post but this is all depending on what your doing. The volume setting you need depends on many factors but is something the OP should look into lowering as then then the surrounds noise wont disappear but it will at least be not as loud. Also at night its very quiet so sound travels far.

If you have realtek audio solution on your mobo, you could take a look at the software there. There are some settings under the microphone tab, that might help you, maybe.....

its a USB mic

You guys are all retarded. The ATR2500USB is connected via USB. As far as I know only 3.5mm mics can have a decibel boost. Set the mic volume to 20-40 and keep the mic close to you.

been trying to say that....

I adjusted the settings on OBS. I guess I just gotta get a clamp type of stand for my mic so the mic is close, and use noise-gates.

I've the at2020 USB and if it picks up noise from other rooms you font have it set up correctly.

How far away is it from your mouth? What program you use to record?

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I use OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) and I moved it within 6 inches of my mouth. With a proper noise gate, it's perfect. Just need a clamping stand for it.

I use OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) and I moved it within 6 inches of my mouth. With a proper noise gate, it's perfect. Just need a clamping stand for it.

Before you had it further away right? I made that noob mistake in the beginning and it picked up my dog farting 2 floors below me (slight exaggeration but you know)

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Yeah I had it a good 2 feet away because that's the only place to currently place it and it would capture my dad coughing from upstairs. This is my first ever dedicated mic so Im not used to it. I just need to find a proper stand that will clamp onto the end of my desk and hold the mic in front of me.

Yeah I had it a good 2 feet away because that's the only place to currently place it and it would capture my dad coughing from upstairs. This is my first ever dedicated mic so Im not used to it. I just need to find a proper stand that will clamp onto the end of my desk and hold the mic in front of me.

My yeti is about a foot away or so and that is as close as itll get with my current setup.

• 6 months later...

Just a thought for anyone else who finds this as a problem. 

The microphone is USB...

BUT, it also has a constant line out on the front face, so therefore you could output it into your PC as a MIC input and you would be able to adjust the settings that way.  

I bought the ATR2500USB as well, and it works pretty well in my opinion but the feedback from the USB is annoying (echo feedback that I cant quite figure out).  Anyways hope it helps.