[Build Log] Name: Lighthouse F.T.: i9 - Vega FE - Custom WC

IN PROGRESS

After planning out this build for a while, I've finally bought most of the parts needed. Some have arrived, while others are still being shipped to my house. The last things I need to order are a Vega FE Waterblock/backplate, tubing, and fittings. This will be the first custom water-cooled system that I will have built. Please excuse the weird formatting, as this will be the first time I will be documenting a build.

The build *should* be completed around the beginning of next month.

PARTS LIST:

Received

Case: Phanteks Shift X

Cpu: Intel i9 9900K 

Motherboard: Asus Z390-I 

GPU: AMD Vega FE

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 2TB

Peripherals: Logitech MX Master, Corsair K95 Brown

Currently in Shipping:

Ram: Corsair 2 X 16GB Vengeance RGB DDR4

PSU: Corsair SF-750

Cooling: 4 X Corsair ML 140mm RGB

MISC: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB LED Expansion Kit

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 2TB

CPU Waterblock: EKWB Nickel Supremacy EVO RGB

Radiator: EK 1 X Coolstream 140 SE, 1X Coolstream 280 SE

Pump: EK Xres 100 Revo D5 w/ Glass Reservoir 

Need to Purchase:

Custom PSU cables

EK Tubing

EK Fittings

EK Nickel GPU waterblock/backplate (out of stock)

*Pictures if you want to skip all the reading, although I do suggest you read it as it details why I bought what I did :)

This is a mass upload link*

CASE:
I used to own a Corsair 760T, a rather spacious and well-designed case. However, it was quite large, as I tend to like cases that are "filled" so to say. My old system contained a 5820K and an E-ATX Asus Edition 10 Motherboard. For my new build, I've decided to turn to the opposite direction towards ITX. I picked the Shift X due to its overall design. Its physical shape and dual pane glass design are unlike anything else currently on the market. I must say, after unboxing a Corsair 760T and an NZXT S340, Phanteks does a very good job at packaging the Shift X.

Case pictures:

Spoiler

CPU/Mobo:

For the CPU, I needed something significantly more powerful than my 5820K. Ill eventually be rendering videos, as well as running multiple VMs. As for the motherboard, i figured that since i was spending so much, I might as well get the best of the best. A plus: the Asus Z390-I supports two m.2 slots, which I'm planning on populating

CPU/Mobo pictures:

GPU:

I'm planning on Hackintoshing this system when it's completed. Nvidia isn't officially supported by Apple, which causes some issues when one is trying to install OSX. As a result, I decided to pick up the most powerful (non-commercial) AMD GPU out there. The Vega FE with its glorious 16 gigabytes of HBM2 memory. Bottoms up to OSX compatibility!

GPU pictures:

Spoiler

STORAGE:

I'll be taking advantage of m.2 speeds when scrubbing through 4k footage. I've purchased a Synology NAS (yet to arrive) that I will be using as (a) photo/video dump/storage. Currently, I've received one of my two 970 EVO 2TB m.2 sticks. That's right. Ill being using two 2 Terabyte Samsung m.2 drives. I'll be putting a low profile m.2 heatsink on the drive on the rear of the motherboard.

Storage photographs:

That does it for all the parts I have currently. Hopefully, I'll be able to get another update out in a couple of days when more parts arrive. I'm quite busy with school at the moment, as it's finals week. As a result, I may, but will probably not be able to update this over the weekday.

What I need from you guys: I'm still not sure about using 12mil vs 16mil acrylic tubing. I swung by Microcenter today and looked at sizings. 12mil looks extremely small, almost like a straw. Any suggestions/comments, in general, would be more than helpful :)

That's it for now! See you in the next update!

54 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

OwO evolv shift X! My main and secondaries are in the evolv shift non X, and I will be liquid cooling the primary one. Should be interesting.

Yeah, hopefully, the 140mil and 280mil rads i ordered will be able to dissipate the heat of a vega and an i9 ?

17 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Evolv shift can't fit them. In fact, it can barely fit two 120mm rads. They can't be any larger than a standard AIO

Ahhh, I see.

I assume the shift x is a bit wider than the shift?

4 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Keep that Vega FE back plate it looks so good, it one of the cards that I really want on my system, it it just so good looking. 

Im actually thinking of swapping it to a EKWB nickel backplate

• 1 year later...