Impossible to add 2nd Monitor

Omie

It seems that given my desk setup, it's pretty much impossible for me to add a 2nd monitor. The main problem is the cables that are connected from my PC to my monitor, such as my DisplayPort, mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc., are just not long enough and if I try to distance my PC from my main monitor to make room for a second monitor on the side of my main monitor, the cables connected from my PC don't have enough length to do this.

How do people even make room to add a second monitor in their setups? How do they move their PC so far away from their monitor to make room for a second, or even third, when the cables connected from the PC are so dam short?

The only solutions I can think of to my issue is:

1) Pur my second monitor on the right side (basically where my Vizio TV is in my video), meaning I have to turn my head 90 degrees every time to look at it, which is horrible.

2) Buy another desk of the same height and add my second monitor to the left of my current one on top of a new desk. The only problem with this is that it will take up more space in my room and my webcam stand will have to move somewhere else since that is originally on the left side (as you can see in the video).

I really want to have a second monitor added to the side of my current monitor, but I just see no way to do this. Any suggestions?

Here is a video of my current setup:

https://imgur.com/a/y21kumI

6 minutes ago, Omie said:

The main problem is the cables that are connected from my PC to my monitor, such as my DisplayPort, mouse, keyboard, webcam, etc., are just not long enough 

Get longer cables.

I use 1m long USB extension cables for my mouse and webcam. You can buy longer HDMI/display port cables to connect to your monitors.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You can buy longer cables, there are 5m, 10m,15m HDMI cables... DisplayPort is harder, it's limited to 3m due to the bandwidth it has.

There's also cables that use fiber optic to transfer data instead of copper wires, but these are a bit more expensive ... here's a link .

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

Get longer cables.

I use 1m long USB extension cables for my mouse and webcam. You can buy longer HDMI/display port cables to connect to your monitors.

12 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can buy longer cables, there are 5m, 10m,15m HDMI cables... DisplayPort is harder, it's limited to 3m due to the bandwidth it has.

There's also cables that use fiber optic to transfer data instead of copper wires, but these are a bit more expensive ... here's a link .

The only problem with this is that I will have to buy multiple extension cables for like everything that is plugged from my PC into my monitor/peripherals. This would be extension cables for my DisplayPort cable, mouse, keyboard, webcam, speakers, headset, etc. I just feel like this will be way too much.

Your keyboard, mouse and webcam are USB devices.  You can easily get a USB hub that you can put under your monitor or you can use some double sided adhesive tape to stick it under your desk.

Here's an example of such a usb hub : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182212

As for speakers and headset, you can also buy extension cords, here's an example https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882241304

1 hour ago, Omie said:

The only problem with this is that I will have to buy multiple extension cables for like everything that is plugged from my PC into my monitor/peripherals. This would be extension cables for my DisplayPort cable, mouse, keyboard, webcam, speakers, headset, etc. I just feel like this will be way too much.

USB extension cables will only cost $1-$2 each off places like eBay or Amazon. Way cheaper than buying a new desk.

Don't use extension cables for display port or HDMI, instead just buy a new slightly longer cable. Might cost around $10-$20. Only buy as long as you need though as if you go too long you can have signal issues.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 hours ago, mariushm said:

Your keyboard, mouse and webcam are USB devices.  You can easily get a USB hub that you can put under your monitor or you can use some double sided adhesive tape to stick it under your desk.

Here's an example of such a usb hub : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182212

As for speakers and headset, you can also buy extension cords, here's an example https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882241304

19 hours ago, Spotty said:

USB extension cables will only cost $1-$2 each off places like eBay or Amazon. Way cheaper than buying a new desk.

Don't use extension cables for display port or HDMI, instead just buy a new slightly longer cable. Might cost around $10-$20. Only buy as long as you need though as if you go too long you can have signal issues.

Thanks. And come to think of it, I don't really use my speakers, just my headset which is USB. So all I would really need to purchase is a USB extension in the form of a USB hub and a longer DisplayPort cable? Also, does using these extensions have any sort of negatives, such as increased response time, etc.? I wouldn't want this to affect my gaming and such.

And just wondering, do you know of any decent monitors that I can purchase to use as my second monitor? It will mainly be for things such as web browsers, discord, reading Twitch chat when I'm streaming, etc. I will be gaming on my main monitor which is a Dell S2716DG 27" 144Hz Gsync monitor.