Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
another random person

High wattage amp with low wattage speakers

No, it won't be a problem, as long as you keep the volume low.

However, make sure you match the impedance of the speakers. 

If your speakers are 8 ohm but your amplifier is only 4 ohm, then it may not work, you'll overheat the audio amplifier and you could damage it.

Make sure the impedance of your 3w speakers are within the range the amplifier supports.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a pair of old but fairly good sounding speakers but the amp for them broke ages ago. I was searching and found a 15watt amp for a good price, but the speakers I have are only rated for a maximum of 3watts. Would using the high wattage amp on lower wattage speakers cause any damage?

WARNING: I AM PRONE TO TYPOS, BE AWARE.

DAILY DRIVER

CPU: i5 6500 MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty H170 D3 RAM: 16 GB Kingston DDR3L 

GPUS: 2x Sapphire 4GB R9 380 NITRO CASE: Deepcool Tesseract BF ATX STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB, 2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM, 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD, 3TB WD Blue 7200RPM  PSU: Cooler master GX750 CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro H55

COST: AUD $1450

PORTABLE LAPTOP

DELL XPS 13 (9360)

CPU: Intel i5 7200U RAM: 8 GB DDR4 Soldered RAM GRAPHICS: Intel HD Graphics 620 STORAGE: 128 GB M.2 SANDISK x400 SSD

Posted · Best Answer

No, it won't be a problem, as long as you keep the volume low.

However, make sure you match the impedance of the speakers. 

If your speakers are 8 ohm but your amplifier is only 4 ohm, then it may not work, you'll overheat the audio amplifier and you could damage it.

Make sure the impedance of your 3w speakers are within the range the amplifier supports.