how does ebay auctions work? please auction end soon!

Bayonett Priest

im planing to buy the rog phone on ebay froma private seller who says its new there is still foil on the phone! and i have now questions he said that ther is a minimum bid( i asked him and he said its 560)! the current bid is 500 so my question if i bid 600 and the one who bids before me has it bid at 540 must i pay the 600 or just the minimum bid?

CPU: Intel I9-9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI CODE RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance PRO 3200MHZ GPU: Asus ROG 2080ti OC Storage: Samsung 970pro 2x1TB, 2Tb HDD Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling:custom loop incoming, for now 360 rog ryujin!

Just the minimum bid, but you won't win the auction unless you go over 560.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It's usually called a reserve price in auctions. If the previous highest bid is 540, and you bid 600, then the bid will go to 541 in your favour. and if someone else bigds 550, you'll be auto bid to 551 to keep hold of the auction 

Say I've a house i want to sell for at least 1.4mil as comparable properties are around 1.4-1.8mil. No one bids on the day except one person who bids 600k, the auction gets passed in and no one gets to buy it. I keep the property instead of selling it for way below market value. 

eBay has something to do the same. Good to see the seller is honest about having a reserve, a lot of users just cancel the auction in the last few minutes if the price isn't high enough for them, this is usually because setting a reserve in eBay is a higher cost for the seller in fees 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

It's usually called a reserve price in auctions. If the previous highest bid is 540, and you bid 600, then the bid will go to 541 in your favour. and if someone else bigds 550, you'll be auto bid to 551 to keep hold of the auction 

Say I've a house i want to sell for at least 1.4mil as comparable properties are around 1.4-1.8mil. No one bids on the day except one person who bids 600k, the auction gets passed in and no one gets to buy it. I keep the property instead of selling it for way below market value. 

eBay has something to do the same. Good to see the seller is honest about having a reserve, a lot of users just cancel the auction in the last few minutes if the price isn't high enough for them, this is usually because setting a reserve in eBay is a higher cost for the seller in fees 

so if the other seller bids 540 and i have a bit to 600 and it goes to my 550 bid, if the minimum price is 560 it wont be sold?

CPU: Intel I9-9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI CODE RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance PRO 3200MHZ GPU: Asus ROG 2080ti OC Storage: Samsung 970pro 2x1TB, 2Tb HDD Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling:custom loop incoming, for now 360 rog ryujin!

2 minutes ago, Bayonett Priest said:

so if the other seller bids 540 and i have a bit to 600 and it goes to my 550 bid, if the minimum price is 560 it wont be sold?

I believe he's given the option of selling the phone below his minimum. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

well he could acept and i could pay the difference privatly through paypal if he agrees!

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

wait if he has a minimumbid if my max bid i highter does the minimum cound as a bid in a sense(without raising the 560 bucks so that i pay 560?)?

im planing to buy the rog phone on ebay froma private seller who says its new there is still foil on the phone! and i have now questions he said that ther is a minimum bid( i asked him and he said its 560)! the current bid is 500 so my question if i bid 600 and the one who bids before me has it bid at 540 must i pay the 600 or just the minimum bid?

wait if he has a minimumbid if my max bid i highter does the minimum cound as a bid in a sense(without raising the 560 bucks so that i pay 560?)?

or if i have no enemy bidder and the price stays at 505 the item wont be sold!

47 minutes ago, Bayonett Priest said:

If the final bid is under the reserve (under 560), the auction item is NOT sold. The seller is given the option to say yes/no to whatever the final bid was, but it is up to them whether or not they allow it to sell at the lower price. 

I would not offer to pay outside of the sale even through ebay for two reasons 1: it doesn't leave you with the same paypal protection, and 2: This usually looks like a scam to the seller. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, Keith W said:

There are some people on here who do not seem to know how eBay works.

If you bid 600 then that is your bid, so if you win the auction you will have to pay the 600

No that's still not how it works. You can set your "highest" bid to 600. You only pay that IF the bids are driven up to that amount. If your high bid is 600 and the final ends up being $550 then you pay the $550. The $600 was set more of a in case scenario where other people bid and drive it up. It's not like a live auction where the amount you say is the bid you're making

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, Keith W said:

That's not what he said, read his first post in this thread, the one that I quoted with my reply.

He said if he bids 600

He did not say set his maximum bid to 600 and let eBay do the bidding up to that amount

There is a difference

Well if he puts in $600 it will be his max bid. Unless the bidding was at that max or another seller had their max at that price point then his bid would be just above the next highest bid. If auction is at $540 and their max is is $550, he puts in $600 then his bid would be around $552 or so. (I don't know the exact price but it has it's minimum increments for bids. It won't go straight to $600 when there is still a $50 gap it will need to cover.)

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 hour ago, Keith W said:

You getting confused

A minimum bid amount does not restrict the maximum you can bid in one go, so if he wanted to bid 600 in one go he could and that bid of 600 would stand.

Again there is a difference between making a one off bid and using eBays system of proxy bidding where you enter a total you are prepared to go up to - The two are not the same thing.

I'm not confused at all. I know how it works. If he puts in a bid that's well over the minimum required to bid on the item, then it would go to that reserving the rest for a max bid. 

In the image I've posted you can see the wallet I've bid on. It's minimum bid before I input mine was $179. The minimum bid for me was $181. I put in a bid of $200 and the current bid now is $182.50

If no one else bids and I win, I pay $182.50, not $200. I will only pay $200 if the auction is brought up to that amount

ebay4.png

2 minutes ago, Keith W said:

Yes, you are confused.

But whatever, i'll not be discussing it with you any further.

No, no I am not. You're just wrong on this. I've explained it and shown you images as reference to how the system works. (Also to point back I never said a minimum bid would restrict the maximum bid. My point is the maximum bid doesn't mean that will be what you pay. If I wanted to bump my bid again I could do that, but it doesn't mean it will be the price I pay if I win the auction.)